LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

When buyinug LS, NAV or no NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-18, 03:09 PM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default When buyinug LS, NAV or no NAV?

So here we are more than a year later and I am still looking for the right LS 430. I originally wanted a black on black ultra but am now down to a white with cashmere model. I want under 100,000 miles. I'm also now only looking for 2006 models as i'm trying to get the latest version of the car. Now, I was always set on one with the NAV and ML system, but I'm wondering if I should just start looking for a base model and do my own stereo upgrades to have better back-up camera and bluetooth. Anyone wish they had not gotten the NAV? stock vs stock i like the look way better with the nav screen though so If I didn't do any of the mentioned I would not be happy.
Old 10-13-18, 04:36 PM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 181 Posts

I bought an '05 and did not particularly want the navigation, as it is old school, hard to read, and not intuitive to use, But I really like the backup camera, the two are linked together, can't have one without the other. A base model with a more up to date navigation system and backup camera would be better than the factory system which is woefully out of date in my opinion.

Now, when I need navigation, I use my iPhone and google maps with the phone mounted in a holder with suction against the windshield, far superior to the factory navigation.
Old 10-13-18, 07:02 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

A 430 with no nav can pretty easily be fitted with a double din 7” Carplay head unit with a backup camera. I did it myself a few months ago

Old 10-14-18, 04:04 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Finding a great used car at any price can be difficult in and of itself. Being extremely picky on colors and options when shopping for a 13 year old model results in...still searching after a year.

In 47 years of buying, I've developed many "rules." When buying new, I get exactly what is desired in the way of colors and options. When buying used, high quality at a given price point is paramount.

I was reluctant to buy my LS because black is a lot of work to keep clean. However, its low mileage, service history, original ownership and paint, and near perfect condition at a fair price checked all of the critical boxes.

Last point: there were approximately 50% more 2005 LS 430s sold in the U.S. than 2006 models (roughly 30,000 compared to 20,000) and their reliability records are the same.
Old 10-14-18, 04:50 AM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not being really all that picky at this point. I will take a Black or white car. I do not however want to do black interior anymore. I've had black interiors on every car I have owned, including my mercedes and I just want to do a light interior for a change. Me asking about the NAV is also me loosening requirements as I've found a bunch that were non-nav and I was looking the other way. It has taken over a year as I was looking solely for an '05/06 Black on black Ultra luxury. I actually just found an '05 up in Maine for a good price but after looking up its service records its a little scary as it has repeatidly been in for engine troubles of sorts and a very small history. I'm going to look further into the NON-navs and the radio alternatives.
Old 10-14-18, 05:01 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

i'll be honest, i wish i did not have the navigation. i have always replaced the stereos in all my other vehicles, except this Lexus (hand me down from my wife) and the Volvo i had b/c their stereos are integrated in the car in some other way. i would have much rather been able to swap things out. especially since as TominPT stated, i use my phone with google maps if i need navigation. more for the fact that it gives me an ETA. it sucks b/c my radio volume is acting up where when i try to turn it down the volume will sometimes go up and vise versa. i found plenty of non nav unit replacement radios for a decent price. but the nav w/ ML radios are a lot more. i can't replace it with aftermarket since it's tied into everything else.
Old 10-14-18, 05:58 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm on the "wish I had no Nav" train as well. I've had no problems, but it is a potentially expensive fix. My 2001 didn't have Nav and I liked it just fine. Adjusting radio and AC settings can be a little tedious via the screen, but we have gotten used to it.

The idea of buying an '06 without Nav, and installing a decent radio with Nav and a backup cam would not only get you what you're looking for, but it would be modern tech as well.

I'd love to update the camera on our 2005.
Old 10-14-18, 06:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I have never once used the NAV to route, but I did replace the disc from eBay, and I would want it. Why? I always use the built in system to display a map oriented North. So if I am stuck in a backup, and my phone is showing me the fastest overall route home or to work, the one in the car lets me know if I can possibly cut the corner etc. Not only that, options are free on used cars of this age. So I have always wanted a CL, stopping short of UL due to air suspension, rear air, and refrigerator which eats up the trunk space a little. I don't think a ML or CL can "not" have NAV....my .02
Old 10-14-18, 08:44 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I have never once used the NAV to route, but I did replace the disc from eBay, and I would want it. Why? I always use the built in system to display a map oriented North. So if I am stuck in a backup, and my phone is showing me the fastest overall route home or to work, the one in the car lets me know if I can possibly cut the corner etc. Not only that, options are free on used cars of this age. So I have always wanted a CL, stopping short of UL due to air suspension, rear air, and refrigerator which eats up the trunk space a little. I don't think a ML or CL can "not" have NAV....my .02
Thats exactly why I went ahead and fixed the Nav in my 02 rather than go with something aftermarket. Its pretty useless these days for actual navigation, but I really like having a map with all the little back roads and routes that aren't easily noticeable right in front of you all the time.
Old 10-14-18, 03:22 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a Magellan GPS which I use to do route, gives turn by turn when we are out of town. The built in NAV is set to zoomed out a bit, showing a larger area on the map. It is very nice especially in unknown cities when you can preview several blocks in front of you in one screen, but have another screen zoomed in and showing turn by turn. I did not think I would use the old NAV , but I find it still useful.

I kinda wish my CL comes with the rear air, but that is just because I have bad allergies. I could probably use a cleaner air while my wife drives and I sit in the back (in reality, this never happens. I am always the chaffeur).

This reminds me that I need to buy a newer disc.
Old 10-14-18, 07:22 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jyates383
Thats exactly why I went ahead and fixed the Nav in my 02 rather than go with something aftermarket. Its pretty useless these days for actual navigation, but I really like having a map with all the little back roads and routes that aren't easily noticeable right in front of you all the time.
I agree. It might be primitive but has helped me numerous times finding my way. I would not own a car without factory Nav.
Old 10-15-18, 06:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

p.s. another thought, without NAV, the backup cam would be different, right, maybe on the mirror? Even if one doesn't care about the NAV, imho the backup cam is a plus.
Old 10-15-18, 10:20 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

p.s. another thought, without NAV, the backup cam would be different, right, maybe on the mirror? Even if one doesn't care about the NAV, imho the backup cam is a plus.
I was under the impression that the backup camera only come with NAV (this is from my research when looking for LS a few months ago), but maybe I was mistaken here. Regardless, there are plenty of aftermarket backup camera system on the market, should be easy enough to add.
Old 10-16-18, 12:32 PM
gmoney94
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Nicely done! I did the same.

The following users liked this post:
2002lexusl (02-15-20)
Old 10-16-18, 05:52 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

yeah, after seeing these, i wish i didn't have the Nav.

Quick Reply: When buyinug LS, NAV or no NAV?