LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 09:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

On this topic I did inflate one to 45 psi today because it was flat? Meaning I discovered the leak after having been on vacation for 5 days, and had no idea at what rate it's leaking. 6 hours later it's down 5 lbs...dang. Just need to make it home and take the other car thu and fri, plug this weekend
Old 10-31-18, 10:58 AM
LSneewb
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I have used General Altimax RT43's on other cars and they have been really great tires. Ride nice with very good snow traction and last a long time. LOL...

Agreed.General RT43 is also an excellent tire. Have them on my SUV and they provide superior snow traction, very quiet and excellent quality for the price. Installed all 4 for around $400 2 years ago and 15000k miles later still look new!
Old 10-31-18, 11:28 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Michelin has a new tire - Crossclimate+
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rossClimate%2B
Old 11-01-18, 12:50 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Cross Climate looks like a gimmick tire unless it was Michelin. They used to make a tire like this I had on my 03 Caravan when I needed to haul m kids excellent tire they discontinued to revive with a few twists.
Old 11-01-18, 05:53 AM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Cross Climate looks like a gimmick tire unless it was Michelin. They used to make a tire like this I had on my 03 Caravan when I needed to haul m kids excellent tire they discontinued to revive with a few twists.
Yep this tire reminds me of Michelin Hydroedge. I think I got 70-80K for commuting back and forth on interstate. I was bummed when they discontinued it.
https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/chads...me-well-earned
Old 11-01-18, 06:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Dang yet another tire that starts at < 11/32. I wonder how many pro-rata deals are checked carefully by the consumer? If the person doing the calculation uses 11 not 9, then you've used up more than you really have from their calculation. Has anyone seen a package of bacon that is 12 oz? How dumb can we consumers get....OJ 59 oz, mayonnaise 29 oz...what kind of units of measure are these? Oh propane where they skim 2-3 lbs. and charge the full amount, it never ends these days on the fleecing!
Old 11-01-18, 07:14 AM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Dang yet another tire that starts at < 11/32. I wonder how many pro-rata deals are checked carefully by the consumer? If the person doing the calculation uses 11 not 9, then you've used up more than you really have from their calculation. Has anyone seen a package of bacon that is 12 oz? How dumb can we consumers get....OJ 59 oz, mayonnaise 29 oz...what kind of units of measure are these? Oh propane where they skim 2-3 lbs. and charge the full amount, it never ends these days on the fleecing!
I see where you coming from. Not trying to start an argument, but to me, what matter is how it performs and how long it last before I need a new set. Maybe they find a better longer lasting materials, so maybe there is no need to start at 11/32. As long as the tire performs well, and last approximately as long as what they said it will, I am ok with that.

From buying different brands and types of SUV and sedan tires, I have not bought any Michelin tires and come out disappointed so I am willing to give them benefit of doubt. These are more expensive tires, but I do not cheap out of tires. I am keeping an eye out for more reviews. I will need a new set probably in the next 6-12 months but may pull a trigger if I see good end of year sale.
Old 11-01-18, 07:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BCT
I see where you coming from. Not trying to start an argument, but to me, what matter is how it performs and how long it last before I need a new set. Maybe they find a better longer lasting materials, so maybe there is no need to start at 11/32. As long as the tire performs well, and last approximately as long as what they said it will, I am ok with that.

From buying different brands and types of SUV and sedan tires, I have not bought any Michelin tires and come out disappointed so I am willing to give them benefit of doubt. These are more expensive tires, but I do not cheap out of tires. I am keeping an eye out for more reviews. I will need a new set probably in the next 6-12 months but may pull a trigger if I see good end of year sale.
I know what you're saying, from a practical standpoint there isn't anything we can do. I was aware on the Premiers and bought them anyway, but I actually did not check on my Pilot Super Sports, which also started < 11/32. But they still seem beefy to the touch where your finger cannot touch the bottom of the tread when new (might have been 10).

I think what it is, is if we warrant to 60k? We don't want you driving to 75 or 80k like before, that's us leaving money on the table. We would rather it wear out at 50k, and you buy another set and we prorata the difference between wearing out and 60k. To me, how likely would this happen when Costco is offering $130 off? It likely happens when they are not, and you pay more.
Old 11-01-18, 03:30 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I know what you're saying, from a practical standpoint there isn't anything we can do. I was aware on the Premiers and bought them anyway, but I actually did not check on my Pilot Super Sports, which also started < 11/32. But they still seem beefy to the touch where your finger cannot touch the bottom of the tread when new (might have been 10).

I think what it is, is if we warrant to 60k? We don't want you driving to 75 or 80k like before, that's us leaving money on the table. We would rather it wear out at 50k, and you buy another set and we prorata the difference between wearing out and 60k. To me, how likely would this happen when Costco is offering $130 off? It likely happens when they are not, and you pay more.
Yep exactly. They are in the business of making money. I can not blame them for that...
Old 03-16-19, 03:51 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I like the fact that the max pressure is 51 PSI so I can run them at 45 PSI for excellent fuel mileage .
I had a low tire pressure warning and went to the nearest gas station to inflate and as often those gauges are very hard to read, it was snowing, poor light, didn't have my reading glasses so ultimately I wasn't sure what pressure I ended up with.
230 miles later and after arrival back home I used my precise gauge to learn I had them all grossly over inflated with one tire at 55 (!!!!). I drive 2015 RX 350.

Quick Reply: Tires?