LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Audio system - No Sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-24, 03:42 AM
treehan77
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
Hi @LS430Lexus , good to see you. That may be where the local place is thinking to send it. That is steep though, wow. The refurb amp was $475 and then you get a $125 credit back when you ship your defective core back. So $350 and you only pay shipping one time; they pick up the return.

@BigBoomer , mine is an 04. Are you thinking this is yet another 2004 RoHS crappy no-lead solder situation? I sent my whole NAV unit out 3 years to have all the connections redone, but is it possible now the connections in the amp are failing? Car amps live a tough life. I mentioned the warmth on purpose; do you think that was any factor? Loosened the connections to where they made contact again? But what would have caused the 'thump'? I wasn't in a turn and I don't really have anything in my trunk. It has been doing a little thump everyday when i start the car, but today it did that and then all turned on anyway.
1) which vendor on eBay did you use?
2) I have no sound, and no control of a/c functions. Ie can’t switch from auto, fan speed etc. I also no longer see the temp it is set to in the little LCD display above the screen. Do you have these same symptoms? Thanks
Old 05-30-24, 06:58 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 110 Posts

@treehan77 , yikes, no, my symptoms are only no sound and my nav buttons don't beep, but I have full functionality otherwise. The solder issue could apply to you also though; these cars were notorious for them. Like Big Boomer said, those were the first years they took the lead out of the solder, and they had not found an additive yet to make it flex.
For my amp I bought from OEMAutoAudio. Like I mentioned, 100% good reviews with many sold, and they pay for return shipping. For my NAV unit, 3 years ago I sent it to a place in California and that is all detailed in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...connected.html
I imagine you could take it to several places, but as Big Boomer will tell, it needs to be someone who knows solder techniques.
Old 05-30-24, 10:12 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

You can tap on the unit with plastic or wood end of screwdriver to see if bad joints and if so what I used was a slender plastic coil tuning tool to run over parts quickly to pinpoint bad joint. If bad joint this will most of the time find the joint but one thing to mention is that a chip can have a bad joint in it also. To verify if chip I would isolate the chip and use freeze spray. An experienced repair shop will already know suspected areas or bad parts to complete repair. I have seen joints that look bad be good and vice versa. The design of any system has its weakest points that are common and once a technician knows that it is what is looked for with every repair.
Old 06-04-24, 05:16 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 110 Posts

Tah-dah! I did it! I am rather proud of myself when I pull these things off. This Saturday I will mail off the core for my $125 credit towards the bill. Everything works like a dream. I test drove the car, started and stopped the car and turned the audio on and off 10 times or more and all is back to normal. Thank you again for any input you offered, espcially @BigBoomer and @alextv , and of course thank you to https://www.oemautoaudio.com/, whom I found on eBay, for refurbishing these and running this easy exchange program.
I also used and offered thanks on this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-and-pics.html

Beware those little 8mm hex bolts that hold the amp braces on are a little soft. I shredded one by hand, no power, and had to have someone drill it out. Then I couldn't find any Lexus or Toyota dealer that had the screw, 90153-50010, in stock, so I ended up at a nut and bolt company. He wasn't super thrilled about helping me for a $1.00 purchase, but nevertheless, he came through and all is well.

****Also, for whomever reads this in the future, YES, for whatever reason, the beeping of the buttons on your nav unit is wired through the amp, so it gets fixed at the same time. Confirmed through several tests; every time the stereo came on, the buttons beeped; every time the sound went out, the buttons didn't beep.

Last edited by CA2WALS430; 06-04-24 at 07:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigBoomer (06-05-24)