LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Engine Rebuild or new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 07:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RazorPC
Yeah both my parents are pretty much saying "Drive the ****** out of the car and let it die, then get a new one." But they cant take care of cars, and I can. I'll probably end up getting the used engine rather than buying another, less reliable car. Everything else in the LS works perfectly except for the navigation and CD player. I use my phone for navigation and have a USA-SPEC bluetooth kit for audio streaming. Plus I usually average well above 29mpg on long highway trips in Wisconsin with all the hills here involved. Looking into getting a used JDM engine installed, just need to find a place to do it. Looking to keep this car for as long as possible.

In fact, my entire family ridiculed me for buying this car when I turned 18 since it was old, had high mileage, and requires premium gas. They still bother me about it, then they ask for my help when their cars break down. It's kinda funny. They all want me to trash the car and buy either a dodge avenger (******) or some other cheap, newer american car.
Yeah you have to be yourself and do what you think is right, taking into account what others "suggest."

About my dad, he was always straight to the point and as a matter of fact. When I was 18 and delivering pizza, this guy told me I am late so it's free. I said no it isn't free, he continued to argue, so I began to leave. He tried to grab the pizza and an altercation ensued. He didn't win, put it that way. I get back and am told to go to public safety (campus police who are real police). That's the end of it, until 1 1/2 yrs. later I am served with papers while at a lecture center! Being sued for 5 mil.! lol

I was pretty scared actually. My dad? He said, "If you didn't do anything wrong, like you say, you have nothing to worry about. If you did something wrong? Then you have plenty to worry about."

As that was sinking in, he finished by saying, "Now, do you have five million dollars? You don't? Then you have nothing to worry about."
Old 11-01-18, 07:51 AM
RazorPC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I had $5 million. But I do think fixing the car is my best option. The Lexus is pretty much the only reliable car me or anyone else in my family has ever owned, given I only had one problem with it. I also drive over 30,000 miles a year. Our 1997 BMW 528i needed 2 transmissions in its 128,000 mile lifetime. Our 2005 Chrysler Crossfire had a few coolant leaks and the serpentine belt ended up snapping while I was driving it to get it fixed, also had power steering problems and the cheap Chrysler plastic dash cracked everywhere. Our 2002 Jeep Liberty needed something fixed every time you started it and averaged a cool 9 mpg, had 2 exhaust leaks, and had rear differential problems. Also didn't have a speedometer (crapped out at 50,000 and again at 128,000). 2005 Mini Cooper had transmission issues months after buying it (also made by BMW, so no surprise there). Mom's 2015 Mazda Mazda6 usually has several warning lights on at once. I could go on, but I might be here for a while.

Point being, if I fix the LS, I keep my reliable, quiet, incredibly comfortable car for at least another 200,000 miles. Probably would be a little over $2k total, but I'm fine with that. I'll probably drive on this engine for another 20k miles, then buy a new one.
Old 11-01-18, 11:27 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

If you don't need to replace the engine right away, your plan sounds good. You can check weekly on eBay for a good deal on a JDM one. Every now and then one pops up for cheap. You could then replace the timing belt, rear main seal, valve cover gaskets, etc. while it is on the bench. Makes things much easier if you aren't rushed.
Old 11-01-18, 02:01 PM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

While others' may strongly disagree, I've used Blue Devil pour and go in the past even on Cadillac with a North Star motor and I haven't been disappointed. No goopy mess blocking up anything. Just follow the directions and life will be good. Check YouTube for vids on this stuff.
Old 11-01-18, 07:46 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

So i have a 2003 LS 430 with 178,000 miles. It has a blown head gasket that I temporarily fixed with head gasket sealer. I've driven over 20,000 miles with it in my radiator. Wondering what I should do. When I bought the car the dealer neglected to mention the blown head gasket. So I have no idea what to do now. I'm amazed that an LS could blow a head gasket. My quote to replace head gasket was over $4k, even non-dealer shops told me it would be at least $2500. Do i get it fixed, get a used engine, have the engine rebuild, or get a remanufactured one?
If the body’s in good shape fix it. You’re not gonna get a very good car for 4K. I think you can find used motors for 1-2K. If youre bored with the car then that’s a different story. But I always laugh at people that turn up their nose at an expensive repair and think nothing of throwing down 30k or more on a new car to replace it.
Old 11-01-18, 09:03 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcturus

If the body’s in good shape fix it. You’re not gonna get a very good car for 4K. I think you can find used motors for 1-2K. If youre bored with the car then that’s a different story. But I always laugh at people that turn up their nose at an expensive repair and think nothing of throwing down 30k or more on a new car to replace it.
Thats a good 2 cents. YES
Old 11-02-18, 05:56 AM
RazorPC
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I am in no way bored of the car. Body is in great shape as is everything else mechanically. Like I said, ill probably put another 20,000 miles on it before I replace the engine.
Old 11-02-18, 09:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Would it be safe to go a long time using that sealant? When I got burned on the Volvo, the seller poured the Bar's Leak stuff in, and it held long enough for me to test drive, and days later, failed.

My Maxima needed valve cover gaskets and I did drive about 2 yrs. until finally I just thought there was too much oil...but I never wanted to pour anything into the engine...(and this was a $400 job I was avoiding lol did not DIY)
Old 11-03-18, 06:17 AM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

seems to be a lot of engines up in Toronto if that works for you. From Japan, but seem to be low mileage.
Old 11-03-18, 02:06 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

DIY, pull the heads off, have a machine shop resurface them, new headgaskets and head bolts and put it back together. Cheaper than a used engine and you don't have to pull the engine out.
Old 11-04-18, 02:46 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I actually fixed a car with some of that head gasket stuff to fix the seal and to my surprise it worked! I would probably just see if someone can fix it or get a used engine. It will still always be cheaper. If you get another car til will be more than a engine costs.
Old 11-04-18, 07:02 PM
RazorPC
Driver School Candidate

The head gasket fix stuff is still working great. How much does it cost to get heads resurfaced? What I'm worried about is parts being warped, since I don't know how long the gasket was blown before I bought the car.
Old 11-05-18, 06:01 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

The head gasket fix stuff is still working great. How much does it cost to get heads resurfaced? What I'm worried about is parts being warped, since I don't know how long the gasket was blown before I bought the car.
Cost will vary from machine shop to machine shop depending on what they actually need to do. You wont really know until you get the heads checked out. They will tell you if they are warped and also if they are repairable or not. I assume since its still running, they are probably fine. After you get the heads checked out, its really just a matter of bolting them back on with the required parts. I would also look into why it overheated in the first place, you dont want to be doing this job again im sure.
Old 11-05-18, 06:37 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Good point, I would find out why it overheated and also get an inspection on future potential problems as U make your decision from a Lexus dealer.
Old 11-05-18, 06:39 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I myself would shy away from a car that had head gasket sealer used in it for 20k miles

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild or new engine?