LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Engine Rebuild or new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 10:05 AM
RazorPC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild or new engine?

So i have a 2003 LS 430 with 178,000 miles. It has a blown head gasket that I temporarily fixed with head gasket sealer. I've driven over 20,000 miles with it in my radiator. Wondering what I should do. When I bought the car the dealer neglected to mention the blown head gasket. So I have no idea what to do now. I'm amazed that an LS could blow a head gasket. My quote to replace head gasket was over $4k, even non-dealer shops told me it would be at least $2500. Do i get it fixed, get a used engine, have the engine rebuild, or get a remanufactured one?
Old 10-30-18, 10:26 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Dump the car. A used engine will be about $1300 or so after freight. Then you have to factor in the labor to swap everything over and freshen up any seals or hoses you find along the way. After that, you still have to install it. Honestly, for me, that is more money than a 15 year old car with 178k is worth. Would be cheaper if you can do the labor yourself but even then, I think I would just move on...
Old 10-30-18, 10:31 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RazorPC
So i have a 2003 LS 430 with 178,000 miles. It has a blown head gasket that I temporarily fixed with head gasket sealer. I've driven over 20,000 miles with it in my radiator. Wondering what I should do. When I bought the car the dealer neglected to mention the blown head gasket. So I have no idea what to do now. I'm amazed that an LS could blow a head gasket. My quote to replace head gasket was over $4k, even non-dealer shops told me it would be at least $2500. Do i get it fixed, get a used engine, have the engine rebuild, or get a remanufactured one?
Usually a used car comes with a 30 day warranty, but if you bought it AS-IS, then the burden is on you to prove they knew about it before selling it to you. Are there any Lexus service history records indicating such failure? Anyway, that would be my first step.

As far as fixing the issue, unless your car is in excellent shape otherwise, I would try to find a used motor and have an import car repair shop install it. Try car-part.com. I wouldnt trust Lexus to put this motor back together properly. And even if they did, its still a “rebuild” with improper torque specs on everything and who knows what else missing. You will need a new radiator/hoses/water pump also as that sealant crap gets everywhere inside.

Sorry this happened to you. I got hustled on a Craigslist deal once with a 2.7L Dodge Intrepid with blown waterpump which turned into a blown headgasket on my way home from the a-hole’s house.
Old 10-30-18, 11:03 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd also likely dump or trade in that car with those miles and find another newer LS430 with a lot less miles and hopefully better maintained.
Old 10-30-18, 12:20 PM
RazorPC
Driver School Candidate

I'll probably trade the car in or sell all the usable stuff on ebay and scrap it. This has been a sad moment in history for me, but since I have the money I may just get a newer LS or another genesis since my dad's is at 235,000 miles with no problems, and he can't take care of cars.
Old 10-30-18, 01:12 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

One of my 430's had blown head gaskets when I bought it. I did all the labor myself and my total cost to fix it using all OEM parts (mostly gaskets, new head bolts) was less than $400. This included getting the heads cut so the sealing surface was flat.
Old 10-30-18, 02:05 PM
RazorPC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 911LE
One of my 430's had blown head gaskets when I bought it. I did all the labor myself and my total cost to fix it using all OEM parts (mostly gaskets, new head bolts) was less than $400. This included getting the heads cut so the sealing surface was flat.
How intensive was the job? I'm worried about f***ing up more than I already have broke. I am pretty mechanically skilled, but doing anything on this car besides basic maintenance scares me. Right now i am currently preparing a list of parts to sell on ebay, then im going to scrap the car.
Old 10-30-18, 05:18 PM
911LE
Instructor

If you are just used to routine maintenance, the head gasket job is very involved. At the time my car wasn't my DD so I wasn't in a hurry. It took me a few months. If I had to do it again it would probably take me 3 days. Where are you located?
Old 10-30-18, 05:21 PM
911LE
Instructor

If you shop around you can find a low mileage used engine for around $900. Labor isn't horrible as the engine can be removed by itself through the hood. A Lexus shop wants 18+ hours of labor for the swap. I'm sure you could find someone cheaper if you want to keep the vehicle.
Old 10-31-18, 09:32 AM
RazorPC
Driver School Candidate

I'm currently in Platteville, Wisconsin. I dont know whether or not I should get a new motor or not. I may just do it or attempt taking most of my engine apart with a few mechanically skilled friends, but I dont really have 2-3 months to be out of a car, because my only other car is a 2002 accord with a slipping transmission that stalls at stop signs in cold weather.
Old 10-31-18, 10:07 AM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me see, I've gone down this road before here.
So even if a new engine is $5,000 installed. You at least know what you got I would think or you can spend $9-$10,000 for another used car and the engine might still go on that too.

But rebuild a terrific LS430 from 04-06 I think has some worth. And you know what you've got. I don't like the newer ones and will one day give it up.

two cents
Old 11-01-18, 12:41 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Easy math car is worth now how much non running 500 bucks? Check bone yards they will have to pick up or be towed. What is car worth with new head gasket but repair is 2500 we knoe that? Then what is the car worth so ya don't get burned resale as the 03 LS with almost 178k miles might not be that sought after 3000-3500 bucks? So is it a car u want to drive or screw around with and fix and have a car with 500 dollar equity in or..... find a camry for 3500 bucks that does not have tranny problems or stall at stop lights and sell Accord. I think it sounds like you are on a tight budget good luck
Old 11-01-18, 06:19 AM
RazorPC
Driver School Candidate

I'm not really on a tight budget. I am however in love with this car and really want to keep it. I've driven newer luxury cars and none really ride as smooth or quiet as the '03 LS, which is a huge deal for me, as I frequently make 1,000 mile trips just to put miles on the clock. I'll probably end up getting a low mileage used engine and swapping mine. Shouldn't be too much, probably 2 grand for engine and between $500-$1000 to install it.
Old 11-01-18, 06:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

again reminds me of what I faced when I got totally ripped off buying a used Volvo (blown head gaskets/V6). My dad had no sympathy for me and said, "Get rid of the car and learn your lesson."

Asked my mom? "If you think it's a good decision, then get the used motor installed."

Illustrates dads and moms, huh? lol

Well I paid $900 for a used motor/tranny, and drove the car for 8 years.....(the car cost $2,000 so $900 was not nothing)

edit p.s. just thought of this...unless anything has changed, it makes sense to let the installer obtain the engine and warrant it. In my case, I likely could have gotten a part myself and saved $300, but the person who was a salvage yard actually told me behind the scenes, the engine I got was the 2nd one. The first was no good. If I had ordered and shipped to his shop, I would have been out of luck....the above was the case when I had an indie do the timing belt job on the LS430 for almost $900. This included a markup on the Aisin TKT kit, because if I provided, no warranty....what would I save, $60? So I let them handle...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-01-18 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-01-18, 07:25 AM
RazorPC
Driver School Candidate

Yeah both my parents are pretty much saying "Drive the ****** out of the car and let it die, then get a new one." But they cant take care of cars, and I can. I'll probably end up getting the used engine rather than buying another, less reliable car. Everything else in the LS works perfectly except for the navigation and CD player. I use my phone for navigation and have a USA-SPEC bluetooth kit for audio streaming. Plus I usually average well above 29mpg on long highway trips in Wisconsin with all the hills here involved. Looking into getting a used JDM engine installed, just need to find a place to do it. Looking to keep this car for as long as possible.

In fact, my entire family ridiculed me for buying this car when I turned 18 since it was old, had high mileage, and requires premium gas. They still bother me about it, then they ask for my help when their cars break down. It's kinda funny. They all want me to trash the car and buy either a dodge avenger (******) or some other cheap, newer american car.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild or new engine?