LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Timing Belt Offer - What To Have Done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 01:55 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Timing Belt Offer - What To Have Done?

Today's email brought Black Friday service offers from the local Toyota store. Included is timing belt/water pump replacement for $699. My LS has 64,500 miles on the originals. Should I also have them replace the idler and tensioners at (no doubt) extra charge? Should they do anything else?
Old 11-20-18, 07:49 PM
aqbill
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it! And have the idler & tensioners done, too.
Old 11-20-18, 08:29 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
Today's email brought Black Friday service offers from the local Toyota store. Included is timing belt/water pump replacement for $699. My LS has 64,500 miles on the originals. Should I also have them replace the idler and tensioners at (no doubt) extra charge? Should they do anything else?
Have a look at the Aisin TKT-021 kit. That is all OEM parts.

Amazon Amazon

$699 is a good deal by the way. Very good for a lexus dealer.
Old 11-20-18, 08:42 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Well if you like giving away money then go for it. There is nothing wrong with those parts. Lexus doesn't recommend that they get changed at the first interval for a reason...
Old 11-20-18, 10:05 PM
bradland

Received 668 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Well if you like giving away money then go for it. There is nothing wrong with those parts. Lexus doesn't recommend that they get changed at the first interval for a reason...
+1
I'd wait til Blk Fri next year when the mileage should be closer to recommended service interval. Even if you go past a little bit it's not a big deal.
Doing it now is like replacing tires with 50% tread left...
Old 11-21-18, 05:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Yes might as well do the extra pieces too and I would suggest serpentine. $699 is a decent price because I have always thought $750 to $900 is the range, but it seems to depend on the part of the country. Lexus is $1800 where I live and it's just me, I think indie shops treat our older cars better.
Old 11-21-18, 05:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bradland
+1
I'd wait til Blk Fri next year when the mileage should be closer to recommended service interval. Even if you go past a little bit it's not a big deal.
Doing it now is like replacing tires with 50% tread left...
jmo I would do it now based on time. I will say this, however, I did mine in 2017 and my car is a 9/05 production, had 84k. All of the parts looked brand new that came out. Your advice is actually good, just that I would prefer to know it's done. If one slices $700 in 9 pieces based on 9 yrs, that's under $80 saved by putting it off a year. $80 is an unplanned lunch with the family....

justification is the factory recommended the job 3 years ago based on time...
Old 11-21-18, 06:31 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
jmo I would do it now based on time. I will say this, however, I did mine in 2017 and my car is a 9/05 production, had 84k. All of the parts looked brand new that came out. Your advice is actually good, just that I would prefer to know it's done. If one slices $700 in 9 pieces based on 9 yrs, that's under $80 saved by putting it off a year. $80 is an unplanned lunch with the family....

My thoughts exactly...
Old 11-21-18, 06:48 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

For $700 for TB and WP service at 12 years on original TB, I'd definitely take advantage of that offer - have it done but ask that the idler and tension-er just be inspected during the job and replaced if they show wear. Lexus usually does not change out these parts during first TB/WP service.

Also as already suggested I'd also have them replace the serpentine belt but pay only for the part cost ($35 or so) and refuse any added labor because the serpentine belt has to be removed and reinstalled as basic step of the TB service.
Old 11-21-18, 06:53 AM
TriC
Racer

This is EXACTLY my thought process. The car was built in 3/06, so it's almost a teenager. It does not see much use (3000 miles in my first year of ownership and that is likely to be its average in the coming years). I fully expect the used parts to look like new, but why take a chance. I will not only sleep better, but have full confidence in its ability to go anywhere anytime.

The Lexus store here quoted $1500 plus for the same service. Interestingly, it is owned by the same folks who own the Toyota dealer offering the $699 special. Serpentine belt replacement is included in the $699 price. And they know us, both from a past new car sale (my current Sienna) and servicing both it and my wife's '16 RAV4 Hybrid.
Old 11-21-18, 08:52 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcturus
Have a look at the Aisin TKT-021 kit. That is all OEM parts.

https://www.amazon.ca/Aisin-TKT-021-.../dp/B008EEYWKI

$699 is a good deal by the way. Very good for a lexus dealer.
thanks for posting the kit, is this kit missing anything for FULL timing belt job? reason i'm asking cause i'll have to get mine done ASAP!
Thank yoU!
Old 11-21-18, 09:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

This is EXACTLY my thought process. The car was built in 3/06, so it's almost a teenager. It does not see much use (3000 miles in my first year of ownership and that is likely to be its average in the coming years). I fully expect the used parts to look like new, but why take a chance. I will not only sleep better, but have full confidence in its ability to go anywhere anytime.

The Lexus store here quoted $1500 plus for the same service. Interestingly, it is owned by the same folks who own the Toyota dealer offering the $699 special. Serpentine belt replacement is included in the $699 price. And they know us, both from a past new car sale (my current Sienna) and servicing both it and my wife's '16 RAV4 Hybrid.
hmmm...I guess I was unclear on the offer being from a Toyota dealership. I get that the engine is very similar to an older Tundra, etc., but I still don't trust them. When I asked Toyota about doing LCA bushings, bringing my own parts, the price was almost as high as Lexus, who provides the parts? lol I said I don't think you understand, person cut me of and said yes I do. On a Avalon, I said whoa Avalon is FWD? He goes well on a Highlander, I go whoa Highlander is also FWD based? I said can I email you some pics so you can see? Guy goes no, just let us know in the future if you need anything. I'd rather have my car at an indie shop who sees me as a real person...dealers imho are used to cookie cutter leased cars all under warranty, not old cars...just my warm and fuzzy or lack thereof...
Old 11-21-18, 11:45 AM
TriC
Racer

hmmm...I guess I was unclear on the offer being from a Toyota dealership. I get that the engine is very similar to an older Tundra, etc., but I still don't trust them. When I asked Toyota about doing LCA bushings, bringing my own parts, the price was almost as high as Lexus, who provides the parts? lol I said I don't think you understand, person cut me of and said yes I do. On a Avalon, I said whoa Avalon is FWD? He goes well on a Highlander, I go whoa Highlander is also FWD based? I said can I email you some pics so you can see? Guy goes no, just let us know in the future if you need anything. I'd rather have my car at an indie shop who sees me as a real person...dealers imho are used to cookie cutter leased cars all under warranty, not old cars...just my warm and fuzzy or lack thereof...
We just see it differently - Toyota mechanics change timing belts on Toyota engines on a daily basis. It isn't rocket science.
Old 11-21-18, 12:50 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

That is a great deal imo. Local Toyota had the same deal ~5-6 years ago which we use for our Sequoia. I do not think I ever seen any timing belt deal for v8 since then. This reminds me my Land Cruiser need timing belt replacement.

I would also ask if they would check water pump. If it has sign of leaking, might as well replace it too.
Old 11-21-18, 12:52 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

I had mine done at a Toyota dealership and i ordered all parts and coolant and did the Trensioner ,W/p and belt. I get the parts at wholesale pricing from the dealership so that saved a good chunk of cash.I made sure a Master tech did the job and i haven't had any issues with the repair. That was 32k miles ago.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Offer - What To Have Done?