LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Identifying Engine Connector/Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 07:00 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying Engine Connector/Sensor

Does anyone know what to call this? The larger hose has a plastic hardline inside it I didn't know about and I broke it looking for a vacuum leak. It broke off near the actual "sensor" that plugs into the the valve cover. I was able to use some leftover rubber hose and a clamp and fix it temporarily, but it seems that didn't hold up, as I have a check engine light again. I haven't hooked up the scanner again, but im sure its for the same thing as before, Lean on both banks. I want to replace it anyway, but dont know what to even call it. The hardline inside the rubber hose is blue if that helps.

The circled part is where the sensor is, the red line just indicates the rubber hose with the hard blue plastic line inside.
Old 11-21-18, 07:13 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

Well, nevermind, just the pcv valve. I guess its about time that 176 page manual of every part of this car in exploded view comes in handy.
Old 11-21-18, 02:57 PM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, that hose connects to the PCV valve. Now, I'm not saying that hose isn't the cause of your check engine light, since I'm not there, but I had an improvised hose on mine when I bought it, that was cracked even, and the engine ran great. Now that you put a temporary hose on it, either the code just needs to be cleared, or it's something else.
Old 11-21-18, 06:34 PM
EuroSS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you run a scan and if the check engine light is associated with any of these codes (P0440, P0441, P0446) it's more than likely the EVAP hose that either came loose or split from being old. It's the hose/hoses located on the green cap with a green label. I've personally had mine loose and eventually split and need to eventually replace it. This is very common problem if you overfill or top off your gas tank.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...d-p0446-2.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...446-p0441.html
Old 11-22-18, 04:44 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

Funny both of you should say that. The check engine light was cleared and stayed off after I did my "fix" but, the PCV valve definitely started acting up after a few miles, idle was really low and etc. Now that I've replaced it, that is all taken care of but, the check engine light is back and I assume youre right, I still have a vacuum leak somewhere. If the light wasn't on, I would never notice it though, as it is running very smooth at the moment. I noticed a few suspects while I was there and will be replacing these hoses. Cant believe how many vacuum/rubber hoses are on these cars, they seem to be everywhere.
Old 11-22-18, 09:58 AM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jyates383
Funny both of you should say that. The check engine light was cleared and stayed off after I did my "fix" but, the PCV valve definitely started acting up after a few miles, idle was really low and etc. Now that I've replaced it, that is all taken care of but, the check engine light is back and I assume youre right, I still have a vacuum leak somewhere. If the light wasn't on, I would never notice it though, as it is running very smooth at the moment. I noticed a few suspects while I was there and will be replacing these hoses. Cant believe how many vacuum/rubber hoses are on these cars, they seem to be everywhere.
Yeah, I hear ya' on that! I've been replacing stuff as I go along. They are everywhere! If you have the codes that are on those threads that were listed, check those. You should also check under the air box that connects to the other valve cover. There is a large hose that was bad on mine. Mine felt like a solid pipe, but it was actually rubber.