LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

HOW TO: Single-DIN Head Unit & Amp in LS430 with factory Nav/ML - no adapters needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 03:44 PM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

On more question do you leave the amp harness connected or disconnected after you finished? thank you for reaching back brother
The following users liked this post:
ls430w140 (03-29-20)
Old 11-27-18, 03:48 PM
edl415
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bsavage
On more question do you leave the amp harness connected or disconnected after you finished? thank you for reaching back brother
I left the amp speaker harness (big plug) disconnected from the amp. Electrical tape the connector as there is power on pins 1 and 10.
Old 12-20-18, 06:26 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I regret buying the Grom and not finding your thread first now... damnit...

But at the same time Grom works well...but this was exactly what I was looking to do...

The other alternative was to get a Audio Control LC7i and amp with sub setup...
Old 12-20-18, 11:37 AM
edl415
Driver

Originally Posted by Baoser
I regret buying the Grom and not finding your thread first now... damnit...

But at the same time Grom works well...but this was exactly what I was looking to do...

The other alternative was to get a Audio Control LC7i and amp with sub setup...
Well, if you ever change your mind you got the DIY right here
The following users liked this post:
Baoser (12-23-18)
Old 02-12-19, 11:28 PM
HereToHelp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't the factory speakers 8 ohms and how are you powering the in-dash speakers as well as the tweeters?

What speakers are you actually powering?

Couldn't the Grom work in conjunction with an aftermarket radio for screen share?
Old 02-13-19, 06:51 AM
edl415
Driver

Originally Posted by HereToHelp
Aren't the factory speakers 8 ohms and how are you powering the in-dash speakers as well as the tweeters?

What speakers are you actually powering?

Couldn't the Grom work in conjunction with an aftermarket radio for screen share?
No idea on the factory speaker impedance, I didn't measure it. I figured the amp I used (Pioneer GM-D9605) would provide more than enough power and handle whatever ohm load I presented it, and it does.
I'm powering all the speakers. To power the front tweeters and the front door speakers, wire them in parallel. If the tweeters and door speakers are 8 ohms then the amp sees 4 ohms.
As for the GROM - no idea what it can or can't do, didn't look into it. As I stated in the OP:

Why?
My ML amp died, and I did not want to spend $600+ to repair/refurbish it when I could spend less and upgrade to a modern head unit with full bluetooth functionality and amplify the speakers with proper wattage. I wanted a traditional single-din unit which would be mounted in place of the factory CD changer to keep a stock/stealth appearance.

Last edited by edl415; 02-13-19 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-02-19, 08:16 AM
Icculus79
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up. This is the way I'm going to go. Question on the tweeters. You just hooked the wires from the harness to the same channels as the front door speakers? Is there crossovers hidden somewhere or was it built into the factory amp. I was thinking I would replace the door and tweeters with components. Hide the crossovers in the dash somewhere. Is the wire sizing big enough to handle bigger speakers?

I've only had the car a few months and the amp is going. Cuts out sometimes for no reason. My sub needs replacing as it's rattling. Was thinking head unit, amp and sub for starters

My navigation says disk error. Is there anything you can replace it with for a decent price or should I just try an ebay DVD
Old 03-02-19, 11:27 AM
omniman69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you know if the rhd and lhd cars use the same wiring colors? i got an '01 celsior and plan on doin this today after i get some crap fixed on my dodge.
Old 03-03-19, 06:55 AM
edl415
Driver

Originally Posted by Icculus79
Question on the tweeters. You just hooked the wires from the harness to the same channels as the front door speakers? Is there crossovers hidden somewhere or was it built into the factory amp. I was thinking I would replace the door and tweeters with components. Hide the crossovers in the dash somewhere. Is the wire sizing big enough to handle bigger speakers?
Yes, I bridged the tweeters and door speakers together. I'm not sure where the factory crossovers are, or if they even exist. I do know when I was testing each channel individually the sound was fine without crossovers. Also my Pioneer amp has a high pass crossover, so I used that.

If you're going components and want to be 100% just install the crossover in the trunk and then use the factory wiring from there on out. I don't know if the wiring is big enough for aftermarket speakers, I didn't change them. The factory speakers sound pretty decent with quality amplification. Now, since it was all apart I did pre-wire my car from the trunk to the front footwells just in case I wanted to change speakers in the future.

My navigation says disk error. Is there anything you can replace it with for a decent price or should I just try an ebay DVD
No idea, sorry.

Originally Posted by omniman69
do you know if the rhd and lhd cars use the same wiring colors? i got an '01 celsior and plan on doin this today after i get some crap fixed on my dodge.
No idea, but it's a Toyota so most likely the wiring colors/harness should be the same. If they're not take a photo so we can have a look

Last edited by edl415; 03-03-19 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-04-19, 09:39 PM
sade04
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow this is a massive help. Thanks man.

One question...if I wanted to replace my speakers at the same time, how much extra wiring would it involve?
Old 03-05-19, 09:29 AM
edl415
Driver

Originally Posted by sade04
Wow this is a massive help. Thanks man.

One question...if I wanted to replace my speakers at the same time, how much extra wiring would it involve?
Depends which speakers.

Subwoofer - easy, you're already there. Just do this one so you won't have to do it later.
Door speakers - you can run new wires or reuse factory. I think you can buy adapters to convert factory plugs to standard connectors - google Metra 72-8104.
Front dash tweeters - lots of work to get to them. If you're going components I would suggest using the factory tweeters and putting your crossovers in the trunk, or putting the aftermarket tweeters by your mirror/a-pillar.
Old 03-05-19, 10:24 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

It’s not worth keeping the dash tweeters if you go aftermarket speakers (believe me, I did it). Your only bet if you want to go that route is to get the highest quality coaxial speakers and mount them in the doors and bypass the dash tweeters altogether. That is, unless you are willing to take the dash apart to get to them then the world is yours.
Old 03-05-19, 11:52 AM
edl415
Driver

^^
Or you mount the tweeters by the mirrors as I mentioned above - as done on this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ll-w-pics.html

Old 03-05-19, 12:56 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

I’m way too ocd to have two sets of tweeters and that visible wire. But that probably does sound the best
Old 03-08-19, 10:29 PM
omniman69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edl415
No idea, but it's a Toyota so most likely the wiring colors/harness should be the same. If they're not take a photo so we can have a look
i'll post an update this weekend when i start digging into the wiring

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Single-DIN Head Unit & Amp in LS430 with factory Nav/ML - no adapters needed