LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Body shop recommendations, Santa Rosa - deer damage!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 05:51 AM
milosk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body shop recommendations, Santa Rosa - deer damage!

So I bought a gorgeous low mileage 2001 LS 430 a couple of weeks ago, inside and outside almost like new. Driving home last night at 1AM on a straight road saw a deer cross 300 feet ahead from right to left so slowed down to 30 in a 55. Just as I was passing it there was a loud thump/bang from the front passenger corner. Turns out that at the exact instant I was passing, another deer jumped out from the bushes headed for its friend and right into my car - there had been nothing there the previous second!

Any body shop recommendations in the Santa Rosa, CA area? Or maybe Sacramento? I’m sort of half-way in between. Any guesstimates to replace a front bumper and fender? I think the hood is fine, though the lights are a little loose. The main impact was into the fender - there was a tuft of hair there in the tear. I’m guessing $3,000-$5,000 or more bc of the high quality paint job required.

[EDIT: Both bumper and fender need to be replaced - they are not repairable]

[EDIT: I’m more concerned with the quality of the paint job and as close a match as possible than the cost (up to a point - I don’t want to pay $5,000 more!). It’s silver - the hardest color to match I e read.]

Last edited by milosk; 11-25-18 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-25-18, 11:39 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad yur ok
Old 11-25-18, 02:57 PM
Jeckyl
Driver School Candidate

Gaaaackkk. I feel like the deer this year are especially bad. I had one jump out 1 house away from a busy intersection with houses on both sides of the street (not even thinking about deer being a possibility there) which totaled my UL - 30 mph. With the age on these cars, insurance doesn't even attempt to do a damage estimate, they just write them off. I don't live in the CA area so can't recommend a good body shop there. I'm having the bumper, hood, and driver's side headlight replaced at a local shop here - paint will be part of the mix as well (also silver).
Deer are like the squirrels of the large mammal world - zippering back and forth on the road. I used to think of deer as sorta nice to see in the fields as I'm driving by, now I have a differing opinion which isn't so nice. I told the owner of a coffee shop nearby about my accident when he asked how I was, he exclaimed he's hit three deer in the past year. Needless to say, I felt a little smile cross my face as he showed off his deer mount in his office and he proudly proclaimed he's now helping to reduce their numbers even if only slightly.

Hoping you can get your baby back to serviceable condition and as your daily driver soon.
Old 11-25-18, 04:13 PM
milosk
Driver School Candidate

Hey Jeckyl, Wow, totalled at 30 mph! Sucks. Haven't had any estimates yet - tomorrow.

Went back to the scene to pick up my fog light which had dropped off. Turns out he was in a 3 foot shallow ditch to the side of the road and at the exact moment I was passing, he decided to leap out of there into my car. That's why I didn't see him. I hit him in the shoulder 3 feet up from his feet, but the point of car impact was only 1 1/2 feet from the road, so he was in mid flight when he hit. Did feel bad for him today - not so much last night.

LMK how your color match works out. I hear that Lexus used top quality paint (triple coat?) so hopefully it doesn't fade as much which I read is that hardest part of color matching.

Last edited by milosk; 11-25-18 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo