LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Driver window stops going up/down

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 09:00 PM
MaximusLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver window stops going up/down

Hey all, I have a 2001 LS430 and the driver window will not roll up or down at times and it will stick open. I've used the search function and can find that my issue is in regards to the regulator, or the motor. My question is if I can replace either of the parts with a motor/regulator from one of the rear windows? It is my DD with 190k hard miles as the previous user did not take care of the vehicle so I am trying to fix it up on the cheap. Any thoughts?
Old 11-29-18, 09:22 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

The window regulators are not interchangeable.Pull the door panel off and see if the motor works.If it does order a regulator.
Old 11-30-18, 06:44 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

When mine does that, I just wait a few minutes and hit the switch again...then the window goes up a little bit...wait a few more minutes...hit switch again.
The following users liked this post:
DC777 (02-07-22)
Old 11-30-18, 12:13 PM
MaximusLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Daspyda
When mine does that, I just wait a few minutes and hit the switch again...then the window goes up a little bit...wait a few more minutes...hit switch again.
That is what I am currently doing, but with the rain I'm getting in Northern CA right now it's not fun waiting lol

Any other thoughts to fix this on the cheap??
Old 11-30-18, 06:26 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
my passenger window does this. Is it a symptom of the motor or regulator?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-18, 07:01 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Originally Posted by MaximusLS
Any other thoughts to fix this on the cheap??
I'm going to try this option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Window-Regulator-Front-Driver-Side-Left-LH-for-01-06-Lexus-LS430-NEW/220824067206?epid=4005406906&hash=item336a23dc86:g:2psAAOSwgdBb7DR3
Old 01-21-19, 07:41 AM
AlRose
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem with the Rear o/s passenger door. I replaced the Regulator and motor for $30.

I have proved the motor/regulator works, but when I hit the button the window winds all the way up and then down whereupon it will not respond to any commands. Fiddling with the wiring harness sometimes kicks in but cannot be relied upon. I have tried the switch from the opposite door but same thing happens, so it is not the switch. None of the limit switch re-set tricks work. At the moment I have got the window up and have resisted temptation to 'try it again.
I now suspect the Rear Door Control Module. I have ordered one from eBay ($30) Will try to let the Forums know what happens.

AlRose
Old 01-21-19, 02:53 PM
Aus430
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

My driver window does this intermittantly, especially in the sun. I've found I can expidite the wait time a little by pulling the glass towards me and holding for a few seconds and releasing and hitting the switch again. - Seems to be some drag from the window rubbers or something. I've tried silicone spray, but that didn't help
Old 01-22-19, 04:37 AM
AlRose
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aus430
My driver window does this intermittantly, especially in the sun. I've found I can expidite the wait time a little by pulling the glass towards me and holding for a few seconds and releasing and hitting the switch again. - Seems to be some drag from the window rubbers or something. I've tried silicone spray, but that didn't help
Aus430. Thanks so much for your response. I also have tried all you describe. I now suspect a previous owner has had the door panel off for some reason and has failed to put it back with the seals in the correct place. It definitely drags going down but is fine on the up sequence. AlRose
Old 01-23-19, 08:01 PM
cbrkat28
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Before all that you may want to try using some lithium grease on the track; my understanding is most window motors burn out from a lack of it...so trying that may solve your problem, and if it doesn't what would it hurt? I actually have this problem with my FR window, when I get a chance I'll try and post my results.
The following 2 users liked this post by cbrkat28:
AlRose (01-24-19), aypues (01-24-19)
Old 09-30-19, 05:01 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My driver window at times will go up a few inches and then go unresponsive. Wait a minute and it goes up a little higher. Seems to do it more often when I hit the switch all the way up or down to trigger the auto open/close feature. Does this sound like the motor or the regulator? Or will I not know until I get the panel off?

Lexus dealer just gave me a $99 quote to diagnose and then $1100 to replace both motor and regulator. Needless to say I’m not interested.

TIA for any help!
Old 10-02-19, 09:25 AM
Martie841
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dstewart
My driver window at times will go up a few inches and then go unresponsive. Wait a minute and it goes up a little higher. Seems to do it more often when I hit the switch all the way up or down to trigger the auto open/close feature. Does this sound like the motor or the regulator? Or will I not know until I get the panel off?

Lexus dealer just gave me a $99 quote to diagnose and then $1100 to replace both motor and regulator. Needless to say I’m not interested.

TIA for any help!
I had the same problem I sprayed 303 on the inside and outside window seal and now it rolled down fine but it’s gonna leave a greasy residue on the your window tho
Old 10-02-19, 11:45 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Originally Posted by dstewart

TIA for any help!
My passenger window did that, replacing the motor with one from Amazon did the trick