Bad luck with radiator and coolant in transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 05:32 AM
Makela
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad luck with radiator and coolant in transmission

Hello

I share my experience from last summer. Suddenly shifting came roughly and after some days I noticed, cabin heater doesn't work. I check coolant level and added 5 liters of coolant. I drove home and and there already atf-coolant mixture was leaking from gearbox breather. I think there was about 8 liters of coolant at this point. I changed radiator and ATF filter and made drain and refill with 30 liters of fresh ATF. I also changed my wifes camry's radiator because it has same kilometers and same brand original radiator. Both cars had 255 000km. Now gear changes are fine but turbine's lock up clutch damaged. When softly accelerating turbine lock shudders between 40km/h and 60km/h when it locks for only short time. Accelerating with heavier gas pedal transmission works fine because turbine lock is not used before constant speed.

I asked used gearbox with turbine from Paul Frost (lexussparesdirect UK). He had four different transmissions with different kilometers and promised it to Finland in two weeks. I was intrested of 100 000km transmission and after some days he had only this piece left (?!). With transmission I ordered also left side light switch lever because mine is broken by previous owner. I also sent picture of my lever. For buying it was very difficult to get all needed information from Frost, but finally I got those and I made money transfer. I was relieved after 4,5 weeks when I got transmission. I was already thinking that I will not see transmission ever. Light switch lever never arrived but instead I got gear shift lever. After that I have sent many messaged to ask for light switch lever but I haven't got any feedback.

I changed ATF and filter for "new" transmission and straightened bent oil pan. I'm pretty sure that transmission have much more kilometers than 100 000, because ATF was very dark. Even original ATF shouldn't look that after those kilometers. Local workshop changes transmission when they have good time for that. The best guess is late January. I don't have to hurry because transmission still works better than new DSG and some can even live with those. Hopefully "new" transmission works because I dont have much thrust left to Paul Frost.

My recommendations are to change original radiator after 140k miles and be careful when buying from Paul Frost. Check coolant regularly.

Last edited by Makela; 12-19-18 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-19-18, 04:41 AM
Makela
Driver School Candidate

After over month Frost finally today replied and promised to send me indicator arm.
Old 12-19-18, 04:48 AM
Makela
Driver School Candidate

Some information for radiator change.
Facelift model has different radiator than 2001-2004 model. Facelift model doesn't have radiator cap and it is hard to get. Older model radiator can be used in facelift model, but then is also needed radiator cap and longer hose to expansion tank. Radiator cap must be modified so it doesn't keep pressure between expansion tank and radiator. Small plastic part in middle of vacuum valve must be removed.