LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 CODE P0761 Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 06:17 AM
clammbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 CODE P0761 Transmission issue

Stuck between a rock and a hard place with the P0761 code. My 04 LS430 will not shift from 3rd to 4th gear. My mechanic says its coming up with code p0761. I have searched the internet and it seems that this is a common problem with Lexus. Some people seem so fustrated that they have just sold or traded in the car......I have seen the fixes, change Selenoid c or replace dirty transmisson fluid, replace the wire harness.....none seem to work........Would it be cheaper to just put in a used trans and call it a day? if thats the case is the transmission the same for 2001 thru 2004?
Old 12-19-18, 10:41 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

2001-2003 LS430 are equipped with the same 5-speed transmission. 2004-2006 LS430 come with the same 6-speed.

Personally, I would not automatically assume that a used transmission will be in better condition. It may not have the exact same problem but odds of something else goes wrong remain the same.

Attached is the troubleshooting procedures for P0761. Take a look, then decide on a path forward.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P0761.pdf (63.6 KB, 2235 views)
Old 12-19-18, 11:22 AM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

what would be the cost to have the tranny rebuilt instead of getting a used one? I would always be leary of getting a used tranny.

My tranny has a slight hesitation as well between 3-4 at around 40km. If i have a heavier foot, there are no issues. My mechanic is doing the drain and fill on the tranny this winter with every oil change i come if for. So, by April, i should be at 3 drain and fills. Hoping it will correct itself, lol
Old 12-19-18, 02:01 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by caddylover
what would be the cost to have the tranny rebuilt instead of getting a used one? I would always be leary of getting a used tranny.

My tranny has a slight hesitation as well between 3-4 at around 40km. If i have a heavier foot, there are no issues. My mechanic is doing the drain and fill on the tranny this winter with every oil change i come if for. So, by April, i should be at 3 drain and fills. Hoping it will correct itself, lol
From my understanding the transmission fluid level need to be pretty accurate. I think I have read that if there are too much fluid it will cause hesitation when shifting, I would start with checking the fluid level first before even thinking about rebuilding/replacing the tranny. Also I assume you are using the correct Toyota fluid, right?
Old 12-19-18, 03:59 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
From my understanding the transmission fluid level need to be pretty accurate. I think I have read that if there are too much fluid it will cause hesitation when shifting, I would start with checking the fluid level first before even thinking about rebuilding/replacing the tranny. Also I assume you are using the correct Toyota fluid, right?
Agreed 100%... Please take a look at Post #11 on the link below for possible explanation:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-04-ls430.html

Old 12-19-18, 06:53 PM
caddylover
Pit Crew

yes, i went to toyota and picked up about 3 quarts of the WS. Mechanic said that the fluid was dark and to come back next oil change and he'll do it again. According to the service records of the PO, the fluid was done about 80000 miles before i had it done last month. So, not sure why it was so dark.
Old 12-20-18, 03:36 PM
BCT
Advanced

yes, i went to toyota and picked up about 3 quarts of the WS. Mechanic said that the fluid was dark and to come back next oil change and he'll do it again. According to the service records of the PO, the fluid was done about 80000 miles before i had it done last month. So, not sure why it was so dark.
A long time ago, I took my car to a local mechanic with a jug of Mobil 1 oil and filter. I was living in apartment so I can not change oil on my own. I got my car back, I notice it has a different filter installed. I asked wtf happen with the filter I gave earlier, they can not find it but they assure me they did use my Mobil 1.

Not saying that your mechanic is not doing his job correctly, but... how much do you trust him that...
- He changed the transmission fluid
- He changed the transmission fluid with the correct fluid that you gave him
- He make sure the fluid level is accurate

Any or all of the above can cause problem in tranny.

Old 12-20-18, 05:34 PM
caddylover
Pit Crew

very trustworthy guys. I have a good relationship with them. I gave him 3 quarts of the WS and he used a quart. They brought it up to temp as in his words, `that`s the only way to do tranny fluid drain and fill properly`. They know what they are doing.
The following users liked this post:
ibanezmakki (01-24-24)
Old 12-20-18, 07:29 PM
BCT
Advanced

very trustworthy guys. I have a good relationship with them. I gave him 3 quarts of the WS and he used a quart. They brought it up to temp as in his words, `that`s the only way to do tranny fluid drain and fill properly`. They know what they are doing.
How is it that he only use a quart?

I have not drain and refill on my 04 (planning to do this around Christmas - end of year holiday) but from what I read here and what the dealer told me, drain and refill is 2.5 quarts.
Old 12-20-18, 07:55 PM
caddylover
Pit Crew

I read the same thing so that's why i bought 3 quarts, so not sure, but that's what came out and that's what he put back in. I'd be very surprised if he didn't check the level. I'll ask him again when i go to get another oil change in Feb. Either that or i'll hit up the Toyota dealership close by and get them to do it. I can't do my own as there's snow on the ground now and it's damn chilly.

Car still runs just great, although i would like it to be a smoother shift, almost like i don't feel it shifting, but that's just me.
Old 12-20-18, 10:46 PM
Makela
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the same thing so that's why i bought 3 quarts, so not sure, but that's what came out and that's what he put back in. I'd be very surprised if he didn't check the level. I'll ask him again when i go to get another oil change in Feb. Either that or i'll hit up the Toyota dealership close by and get them to do it. I can't do my own as there's snow on the ground now and it's damn chilly.

Car still runs just great, although i would like it to be a smoother shift, almost like i don't feel it shifting, but that's just me.
I scare there is too little ATF in your dranny. Maybe he did drain from from level plug? If so there is a quart too much oil, but it is not problem. You can put 4 quarts oil when drain refill without any problems. I have tried. Usually I put only three.
Old 12-21-18, 03:50 AM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Makela
I scare there is too little ATF in your dranny. Maybe he did drain from from level plug? If so there is a quart too much oil, but it is not problem. You can put 4 quarts oil when drain refill without any problems. I have tried. Usually I put only three.
+1. Something is not adding up if drain and refill only use 1 quart.
Old 12-21-18, 03:52 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

My car has 136,000 miles. Transmission fluid has never been changed, as directed in owners manual. I simply cannot tell when the transmission shifts gears in regular driving. Only if I floor it and demand quicker acceleration. Otherwise, smooth as silk.
Old 12-21-18, 09:05 AM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BCT
+1. Something is not adding up if drain and refill only use 1 quart.
i'll hit up my toyota dealer for the next drain and fill. Just to see if there is any difference
Old 12-21-18, 02:27 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Just for reference, I've done one drain and fill myself and had my Lexus dealer do the other two. I personally drained ~3 qts out of the pan when I did it and the Lex dealer used a little more than 3 quarts each time as well.

Quick Reply: LS430 CODE P0761 Transmission issue