LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My 430 just died and now won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18 | 03:14 PM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Default My 430 just died and now won't start...

So the last few hundred miles I noticed that it seemed like when I was accelerating, there would be a power cut out for a second. The RPM wouldn't drop but it felt like it just stopped building RPM and speed for a split second. The car is due for an oil change in short time so I figured I would just have my mechanic take a look at it when I brought it in. But a couple days ago I ran a quick 30 mile round trip errand and about 10 miles into the trip, the check engine light came on and started flashing at about one second intervals. It would flash for about 30 seconds to a minute and then turn off. It would then come back another five minutes later give or take.

I also started feeling a huge power loss. It almost felt like the car was shutting off, like I ran out of gas. I had gas in the tank but it still felt exactly like that sensation when you start sputtering from lack of fuel. I nursed it home and decided not to drive it until my appointment with my mechanic. Well, that appointment was today and I debated driving it or having it towed but I decided I would just drive it. Probably a dumb idea, I know...

Anyway, I started the car and decided to give it a few minutes to warm up. I was standing outside the car because I was messing with some outside things I needed to do when all of a sudden I heard the car start sputtering. I looked over at it and saw the car push out a few large puffs of smoke out both exhaust pipes and then it died. I hopped in thinking I just needed to keep giving it gas to keep it running but then found I couldn't even start the car again. It cranks but I hear what sounds like small explosions. Basically the sound a car makes just as it is about to start but then it doesn't. I don't know how to describe it very well.

I'm a bit worried. The car has a little over 218k on it and up until now, it has been running extremely well.

Any ideas what it could be? Possibly the fuel pump? The car is an '04 btw.

Not sure if it worth noting but I checked the oil and it looks brand new. It didn't turn black at all and I'm due for an oil change although I am due by time and not mileage.

Last edited by Nyaa; 12-26-18 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-26-18 | 04:12 PM
BCT
Advanced

I think you should have stop driving the car, turn off the engine and then have it towed to your mechanic, but you are way pass that point now. I would see if you can get any error code, that would help narrow down the problem, and you can get better/more accurate help here. Sorry to hear about the problem and good luck!
Old 12-26-18 | 04:27 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BCT
I think you should have stop driving the car, turn off the engine and then have it towed to your mechanic, but you are way pass that point now. I would see if you can get any error code, that would help narrow down the problem, and you can get better/more accurate help here. Sorry to hear about the problem and good luck!
Yes, driving must be avoided but it is what is at this point. Hopefully, your mechanic can pull up some error codes even without starting the car. Good luck and please let us know how you make out.
Old 12-26-18 | 05:47 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

You will be able to read the codes with just the ignition on, engine off. It will also store a snapshot of the engine parameters when the code(s) was/were triggered (useful for checking conditions of the sensors). I’m betting on a bunch of p0301-8.
Until we know the codes and the context in which they happened it’s impossible to help unfortunately.

edit: Everyone with an older car should own a cheap code scanner
Like this Like this
. You can do live data streams (monitors all the data your car is seeing like coolant temp, air temp etc.) most importantly, and what I always look for are the current fuel trims. They usually tell you the full story.

Last edited by Peacebay; 12-26-18 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-27-18 | 05:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I'm no genius but what I have noticed is that OBDII is read without even having the ignition on, merely plugging in.

The irony is I have all this fancy schmancy software for the BMW. The dealer software I rarely use because it's too complicated and not intuitive. The 2nd package I have to be careful about the version, because the newer version doesn't like my 2007. It can register a battery and check the position of the steering wheel, yet this package cannot read emissions readiness!

And then, you have the $19 amazon.com one that does it all. Seriously, everyone should have one, for the basics. No it cannot do ABS or airbags, but it's $19. (what I wanted to do last weekend was to check the emissions on the BMW to make sure it was ready--not that there were any SES lamps lit, but I had cleared out some maintenance items, and just wanted to make sure that didn't reset emissions, and it did not--$19 reader to the rescue to verify it was ready)

p.s. maybe it's just BMW that doesn't need the ignition to be on, but I thought the Nissan did not. Never plugged the Lexus in.
Old 12-27-18 | 05:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Peacebay
You will be able to read the codes with just the ignition on, engine off. It will also store a snapshot of the engine parameters when the code(s) was/were triggered (useful for checking conditions of the sensors). I’m betting on a bunch of p0301-8.
Until we know the codes and the context in which they happened it’s impossible to help unfortunately.

edit: Everyone with an older car should own a cheap code scanner Like this. You can do live data streams (monitors all the data your car is seeing like coolant temp, air temp etc.) most importantly, and what I always look for are the current fuel trims. They usually tell you the full story.
That unit is much nicer than mine. If I wanted to spend I'd get a Foxwell 520. The other one I never tried was the torque app on Android--I did pickup a bluetooth OBDII but never set it up....
Old 12-27-18 | 05:51 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
That unit is much nicer than mine. If I wanted to spend I'd get a Foxwell 520. The other one I never tried was the torque app on Android--I did pickup a bluetooth OBDII but never set it up....
It’s been great. I’ve diagnosed two failing MAF sensors on my vehicles before they even set off CEL by how off the live stream of the sensors seemed to be reading. I buy and sell a ton of cars too and I always scan them to see if there are any pending codes and then I do a live data stream to see their fuel trims. It’s worth its weight in gold to me.
Old 12-27-18 | 08:53 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Peacebay

It’s been great. I’ve diagnosed two failing MAF sensors on my vehicles before they even set off CEL by how off the live stream of the sensors seemed to be reading. I buy and sell a ton of cars too and I always scan them to see if there are any pending codes and then I do a live data stream to see their fuel trims. It’s worth its weight in gold to me.
I've been trying to decide which OBD2 scanner to get. I've learned to live with my check engine light tripping on every month or so due to the notorious PO440 code.....(evaporative control emission system). Too much time spent with trying to repair and now I just need my own scanner to reset the light instead of asking my Indy every time I see him. I've considered the Zurich ZR11 for around $129 which reads ABS and SRS. When I reset the light with a cheaper Zurich ZR4 the Slip and VDC lights came on because the scanner didn't read ABS. I also like live data to use for all my cars, but not sure if ZR11 reads engine coolant temp. Sorry for getting off the main topic.
Old 12-27-18 | 02:36 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like your fuel pump. Spray some starter fluid in the intake and if see if it runs for a little bit.
Old 12-27-18 | 04:55 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, let's try it this way. It's your fuel pump. Have a fuel pressure test done.
Old 12-28-18 | 09:45 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

What happened to the OP Nyaa?
Old 12-28-18 | 10:33 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Is this the result of neglecting the car until reaching this point? If so the case of penny wise, pound foolish.
Old 12-28-18 | 11:43 AM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

I'd like to see the codes as I'm going through something similar. My guess is the TPS (if original) has totally failed.
Old 01-02-19 | 09:46 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

What ever happened to Nyaa??? One post and then disappeared?
Old 01-02-19 | 10:05 AM
nerijus
Driver School Candidate

Is this what happens when timing belt breaks?

Quick Reply: My 430 just died and now won't start...