LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Handling/Ride Problems - Do I need new struts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-18 | 11:43 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Also, LS430 does not have simple suspensions like McPherson, so struts do not deteriorite that quickly at all.
Old 12-28-18 | 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Also, LS430 does not have simple suspensions like McPherson, so struts do not deteriorite that quickly at all.
That's a good point. Long story (below) short, I wouldn't want to change anything that didn't need it. One, expense, two, maybe the ride degrades? But mostly to avoid unneeded expense.

BTW, I am leery of aftermarket short of Bilstein, Koni, etc. (which are basically upgrades to BMW etc.), who don't make products for our car anyway (meaning I'd go OE only on the LS). On my Maxima, we DIY'd Monroe quick struts on the front (never ever ever ever use a quick product on any car--these are intended to allow shops to not compress the spring and save time and charge you the same), and KYB on the rear. The vehicle had like 190k at the time. The ride was horrible ever since. The front was jacked up like a Subaru as if the height was not correct. One of the 6 tower bolts was stripped right out of the box, UGH!

As mentioned, in PA, leaks mean fail on the annual safety. My wife's GM had this happen at only 65k, and I was having that gold chain muffler shop do it. They said you need new struts and I said how much? $1,100 (American car go figure). I said ok, what products do you use? "Gabriel or Monroe." Hold up, don't do anything--I just need a sec but I think I'm gonna tell you to drop the car. I logged in online, and oddly found her GMPP extended warranty covered struts but not shocks (that warranty covered more than it did not cover, unlike BMW--example, captain's chair covered), so we took it to the dealer. Also in PA the place that fails you, also passes you when you bring it back to reinspect, regardless of if they did the work or not.
Old 12-28-18 | 06:46 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Thanks for the info - tires are new as of 10k ago (P7s), but nothing else (bushings, struts, etc.) has ever been changed. The car tracks very well, so I think I can rule out the alignment as well. I think I'm going to address the bushings and the sway bars with my mechanic.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-28-18 | 06:51 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Good points and thanks the insight on the Quick-Struts - they crossed my mind as well, but everything I've read, like you said, urged folks to avoid them like the plague.
The following users liked this post:
boggie557 (06-30-20)
Old 12-28-18 | 08:52 AM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by ls430w140
I am truly curious/not trying to start argument here, why do you think struts do not deteriorate in LS as quickly as in other car/setup? It seems to me after 12 years and 100K miles struts should be close to the end of its usable life.

Just for comparison, my LS (04 119K miles) had all 4 replaced by previous owner right before I bought it. He said one of the struts has develop a leak. From what I can tell, the last 2/3 year before I bought it this past summer, the car was driven very little due to the owner having some health problem.
Old 12-28-18 | 09:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BCT
I am truly curious/not trying to start argument here, why do you think struts do not deteriorate in LS as quickly as in other car/setup? It seems to me after 12 years and 100K miles struts should be close to the end of its usable life.

Just for comparison, my LS (04 119K miles) had all 4 replaced by previous owner right before I bought it. He said one of the struts has develop a leak. From what I can tell, the last 2/3 year before I bought it this past summer, the car was driven very little due to the owner having some health problem.
I cannot speak to how long one should/would last. My wife had one leak on a car purchased new, at about 65k. My guess is environment, not defect, caused it, such as hitting something.

Also, on the first LS430 I looked at, it was a 2005 with high 70's for mileage. The dealer had replaced both shocks on the right side only. Again, I would surmise accident (rims and lower rear door plastic were all scraped, they didn't even try to hide it). Unlike the timing belt, imho this has more variables as to how long they parts would/should last.
BCT (12-28-18)
Old 12-28-18 | 09:38 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by BCT

Well I know it may be pretty impossible to give a firm proof to my statement as we don’t know all other conditions where ls430 may be driven in, however, I strongly believe that engineers of ls400/LS430 did a phenomenal job at smoothing out the double wishbone and multilink suspension overall. Which means the design allows all other elements to take considerable and equalized pressure from road imperfections in the beneficial way for the struts so they do not fail first (most of the time).

Long long time I used to own the Japanese McPherson car made by Nissan. I hated so much to replace shocks every year/two so I made my conclusions, lol. Literally these shocks were doing all the job and the control arms looked so thin and useless prompting me to start looking at the suspension design aspects. Which resulted in buying the car like LS430.

My situation with replacing all struts was related to installing lowered suspension and I wanted something more powerful - relatively speaking new oem strut is doing a better job than a 100k oem struts even if it doesn’t leak. I should say at one point I regretted replacing them as the old struts showed low to zero signs of wear. Maybe because the car never saw cold climate, I don’t know.
The following 2 users liked this post by ls430w140:
BCT (12-28-18), gmoney94 (12-28-18)
Old 12-28-18 | 10:32 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the discussion and the suggestions.

Take away: for now im going to assume the struts are reasonable becuase I don't have any leakage, and I'll focus my attention on the various bushings/links that could be in need of replacement.
Old 12-28-18 | 10:37 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
It's crazy to throw away money on strut replacements unless you know for certain they are bad. I had to replace my front struts at around 120,000 miles mainly because of an annoying noise. If they are not leaking, I'd look for other causes. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Even if it does not leak it can wear out over time. 10 year is long time.
Old 12-28-18 | 10:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
Even if it does not leak it can wear out over time. 10 year is long time.
I know that on my BMW, which is a garage queen, the rear shock boots are torn on both sides. Kind of frustrating but not leaking, because the mileage is low....same on Maxima, all were torn but that car was driven daily. The common denominator was age , maybe BMW was about 2-3 years sooner that the boots tore (about 7)....I remember now on the Maxima the CV boots ripped at about 7 (then I cared so much for the car I immediately panicked and replaced and paid around $400--patience grasshopper! In retrospect I'd wait for a clunking sound).
Old 12-28-18 | 01:17 PM
SomeDude
Driver School Candidate

Don't rely on some sort of visible fluid leak to confirm your struts are shot. If they have 100k miles on them, they're shot. I have replaced dozens of struts over the years and have seen the dramatic change in handling, comfort and ride height a new set brings. I just changed the struts/shocks on my GX with 103k miles and, despite no visible fluid leaking, the pressurized gas is well gone as you can compress the shocks by hand and they simply stay compressed. The new shocks fully extend by themselves within 3 seconds when compressed. As worn as every set I've replaced has been at 100k, it's safe to say they should probably have been replaced closer to 75k miles. After changing the set in my parents' Neon, for example, the ride height was so dramatically increased I had to re-aim the headlights.
gmoney94 (12-28-18)
Old 12-29-18 | 12:54 PM
Paulanth
Driver

Here is my two cents:
1. Replace swaybar bushings - front and rear.
2. Replace swaybar end links - front and rear.
At 110 k miles. Simple, easy, & inexpensive.
Then, you can determine if more work is necessary
That's exactly what I did, & it worked for me.
Hopefully, it will work for you. Good Luck
gmoney94 (12-29-18)
Old 12-29-18 | 06:12 PM
gmoney94
Driver

Thanks for the advice. I found a set of front/rear linksis on eBay: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222616367616. Are these reasonable or should I target a specific brand? Do you have a recommendation for bushings as well?
Old 12-29-18 | 08:43 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by gmoney94
Thanks for the advice. I found a set of front/rear linksis on eBay: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222616367616. Are these reasonable or should I target a specific brand? Do you have a recommendation for bushings as well?
I only install OEM or something that is known and proven to be a better alternative. Personally I stay away from unknown brands.

Moog seems a good alternative to OEM for endlinks - see this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...end-links.html

For bushings, I would recommend OEM just because if what you install is harder rubber, the ride may not be as soft and smooth.
Old 12-29-18 | 08:49 PM
bradland

I would stay away from eBay for these parts unless you are buying a reputable brand. If you're not using OEM here are some decent brands to choose from- https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+bar+link,7580

The MOOG's, Mevotech, and Delcos offer a limited lifetime warranty if that means anything by todays standards...?

Quick Reply: Handling/Ride Problems - Do I need new struts?