LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Parasitic Battery Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 08:54 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Parasitic Battery Drain?

Replaced the LS battery last April with the highest priced correct group size and CCA unit from Walmart. The car was the parked in our detached garage until moved to the attached garage about a month ago. For the first time, then noted that whenever I was in close proximity to the car the interior lights would come on for a brief period. Attempted to start it Monday night for the first time since it changed garages and it was a no go, not even the interior lights came on. Hooked up a Stanley FatMax portable charger (a nice unit) and the car started on the first turn. Let it idle outside for about a hour before turning it off. Yesterday, it wouldn't start, so exchanged the battery at Walmart. They tried to test it, but said it was so discharged that they couldn't get a reading.

We had some cold weather (in 20s at night) a few weeks ago, but lately it has been mild (in 50s the last 2 days).

So, does the car have a parasitic drain? Did the interior lights coming on kill it? Was it just a bad battery from the start?

Any thoughts were be appreciated!
Old 01-09-19, 09:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I hate to say this but a battery can fail or be defective seemingly more often than what we might think. Wife got a battery from the Three Stooges, which was rated #1 by CR for lead acid. Failed in a year. Got a free replacement. No good again. Got one from Costco. Fine ever since. I decided to pay $40 for a tester that shows CCA. Just out of curiosity so I didn't have to guess anymore (it is a waste as how often do we test batteries I was just an enquiring mind).

I wouldn't worry about the lights coming on. FYI, the costco batter was like 960 CCA at 65F. So during warm temps it should be much higher than what it is rated for at 0F or 32F.
Old 01-09-19, 05:03 PM
Tharper1
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

All modern cars have stand by current being drawn from the battery. Measured in milliamps. Its the computers waiting for you to walk up to the car where it recognizes you and turns on the lights or lets you open the door. Depending on how good your battery is is how long everything will work before it just won’t start or turn on the lights. Higher reserve capacity Batteries should make the battery last longer in the standby condition before it goes dead from standby current draw. But they all will go dead eventually just from sitting just from the standby draw. You need charge it up by driving or keep a tender hooked up to keep it charged. There could be a lot of reasons for your particular no start. Bad battery. Something not turning off completely. The only way to find out is to know what the sleep current draw is and measure it with a meter.

By the way I don’t know what sleep current is on the LS430. I do know on my Corvette though, approx 10-12ma. It will last between 2-4 weeks no running, no tender before the car won’t start.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (01-10-19)
Old 01-10-19, 09:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Tharper1
All modern cars have stand by current being drawn from the battery. Measured in milliamps. Its the computers waiting for you to walk up to the car where it recognizes you and turns on the lights or lets you open the door. Depending on how good your battery is is how long everything will work before it just won’t start or turn on the lights. Higher reserve capacity Batteries should make the battery last longer in the standby condition before it goes dead from standby current draw. But they all will go dead eventually just from sitting just from the standby draw. You need charge it up by driving or keep a tender hooked up to keep it charged. There could be a lot of reasons for your particular no start. Bad battery. Something not turning off completely. The only way to find out is to know what the sleep current draw is and measure it with a meter.

By the way I don’t know what sleep current is on the LS430. I do know on my Corvette though, approx 10-12ma. It will last between 2-4 weeks no running, no tender before the car won’t start.
2-4 weeks? What year? Cars sit on lots of the dealership for way longer than that. My BMW has sat 3 mos. no issues, Maxima 5. Granted these are old cars, 2007 and 1998. Granted the BMW is intelligent, the Maxima is not. The LS430 as well, is not.