LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help choosing new Michelin tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 10:10 PM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with option #2 after having mxv4's. Love the handling, hate the noise. Excellent traction even when wet, but i still wish i went with the Bridgestone serenity plus, i just got a killer deal on the Michelins and pulled the trigger. My friend had the Bridgestones and they're wonderful. I wouldn't get anything more aggressive than that.

I'm running 18's by the way.
Old 01-17-19, 10:35 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate it! It seems that the Premier A/S are the way to go!

I take it that these tires are suited for a comfortable quiet ride, but if i was looking at a high-performance tire option like the Michelin Pilot A/S or Continental Extremecontact how dramatically would it differ from the MXV4 feel thst i'm used to?

It would be nice to have improved cornering because i have found the MXV4 to be quite floaty but very comfortable and quiet....however i'm not sure how much comfort and road noise i'm willing to sacrifice. Would additional handling be worth it you think?
Old 01-18-19, 05:00 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizmauka
Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate it! It seems that the Premier A/S are the way to go!

I take it that these tires are suited for a comfortable quiet ride, but if i was looking at a high-performance tire option like the Michelin Pilot A/S or Continental Extremecontact how dramatically would it differ from the MXV4 feel thst i'm used to?

It would be nice to have improved cornering because i have found the MXV4 to be quite floaty but very comfortable and quiet....however i'm not sure how much comfort and road noise i'm willing to sacrifice. Would additional handling be worth it you think?
I would think the Premier A/S would have at least as good a ride as what you have now. It's always hard to tell, because new tires generally feel better anyway, just because they're new.

I put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires on my old car (RWD Cadillac CTS), and the ride quality was better than the MXM4 tires it came with. Wet weather handling with the A/S 3s was way, way better.

If you look on the LS 460 forum, the tire of choice seems to be the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus for most people. I've bought Michelin in the past because that's what my local Costco stocks, but I may try the Pirellis next time.

The following users liked this post:
Goakes9277 (02-04-22)
Old 01-18-19, 05:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239
I put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires on my old car (RWD Cadillac CTS), and the ride quality was better than the MXM4 tires it came with. Wet weather handling with the A/S 3s was way, way better.
That's what I'm planning to get maybe next fall after another season on the tires that came with the car. But I have snows for winter. I saw that someone here put full blown Pilot Super Sports on the LS. I have them on the BMW and would think imho the LS doesn't need them, and it would get tricky saying I can't drive the LS when it's under 40F (prolly the person lives in a warm climate can't remember).
Old 01-18-19, 09:41 AM
tiger02
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been running the Michelin Premier A/S H for two years here in the PNW and have no issues. Went to them after they stopped making the MXV4, and didn't notice any difference in ride or sound quality.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Just my observation. I was in Seattle and Portland late last year. In Portland, OR, I was told they get 3" of snow annually. Yet, I can't tell you how many vehicles had studded snows. I told my colleague who lives in Vancouver, WA, I really don't get it, you guys get 3" of snow, why do people have studs (I had them when I lived in VT and skiied weekly)?
I run studded Hankook iPike tires on my Jeep from November to March as the higher elevation roads see a lot of snow and ice. By law you still have to carry chains in the vehicle, but it's nice not to have to get out and put those on.
Old 01-18-19, 08:55 PM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Australia so not sure if you guys have the same models over there, but I've tried everything and just stuck with Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (not 4S).
Great grip, not too noisy, brakes very well, not bad at all in the wet, I never see snow so couldn't tell you.

Last edited by Damian@FI; 01-18-19 at 08:59 PM.
mxyztplk (04-01-21)
Old 01-19-19, 08:36 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had Michelin defender tires on my LS430 for about a year. All around a great tire.
Old 01-20-19, 10:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tiger02
Been running the Michelin Premier A/S H for two years here in the PNW and have no issues. Went to them after they stopped making the MXV4, and didn't notice any difference in ride or sound quality.

I run studded Hankook iPike tires on my Jeep from November to March as the higher elevation roads see a lot of snow and ice. By law you still have to carry chains in the vehicle, but it's nice not to have to get out and put those on.
That makes sense....I really was surprised how many times I heard studs on dry pavement, and then my colleague said they only get about 3" per year. That many people doing the studded snows, has to be a good reason, and you've stated it! I always feel better on any type of packed snow, knowing at least I have snows. imho this car just doesn't do well on A/S in snow--I've seen comments about ***** drivers, but I sincerely don't think that's it at all, considering it gets stuck in the mildest of situations.
Old 01-21-19, 03:34 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Out of the 3 Michelins, Primacy, Premier, and Defender, I would go with Defender T&H. I've had all 3 on my 04, and the Defender is by far the smoothest and quietest.
Goakes9277 (02-04-22)
Old 01-21-19, 04:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Wouldn't it be great to have a YouTube channel, and the mfgs simply give you a set of each? Seems like once we make a decision, we're stuck with it for a few years...

I do recall a specific GM vehicle where Michelin was standard (Premier LTX), and Hankook was on the higher trim. I found that interesting (Buick Envision). To verify I looked at all the vehicles, not just two, that were on the lot. More expensive models got Hankook, and as a brand, the Ventus V12 were always highly rated high performance alternatives to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Old 01-21-19, 11:29 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizmauka
Hey folks, so i have decided i will not get winter tires for my LS but am looking dor a set of Michelin All season tires instead.
Here are the tires I am considering...size is 225/55/R17

1. Michelin Primacy MXV4 (what i have currently, but not sure they make them anymore).

2. Michelin Primacy MXM4

3. Michelin Premier A/S

4. Michelin Defender

Also, H or V speed rating?

Basically i need something that will perform decently in mild snow/ice but mainly cold rain (located Vancouver BC).
Someone post a test of Michelin vs Pirelli vs a few other tires brand in new and used (after being driven so many miles) in dry and wet braking. I can not find that post for some reason (is the search broken?) but I remember Michelin have the best braking in wet condition.

Old 01-22-19, 06:21 AM
deadguy
Driver

My car had Primacy tires when i bought it. I can't remember the mileage I got from them, but it was around 50k. Went with Premier AS, and immediately noticed they were louder when I drove away from the tire shop. Remember, this is after the tread was worn from the Primacy tires. I got about 48k or so out of the Premiers. Switched over to Defender T&H, and I immediately noticed how much quieter they were than the Premiers. I have over 10k on the Defenders, and they are as quiet and smooth as day 1. Braking has been superb (a couple of instances where pedal went to the floor).

I'm a die hard Michelin guy after going through other cheaper brands. I have never driven on Pirellis, so I cannot comment on those.
Goakes9277 (02-04-22)
Old 01-22-19, 09:22 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by deadguy
My car had Primacy tires when i bought it. I can't remember the mileage I got from them, but it was around 50k. Went with Premier AS, and immediately noticed they were louder when I drove away from the tire shop. Remember, this is after the tread was worn from the Primacy tires. I got about 48k or so out of the Premiers. Switched over to Defender T&H, and I immediately noticed how much quieter they were than the Premiers. I have over 10k on the Defenders, and they are as quiet and smooth as day 1. Braking has been superb (a couple of instances where pedal went to the floor).

I'm a die hard Michelin guy after going through other cheaper brands. I have never driven on Pirellis, so I cannot comment on those.
I know sound is relative (what is quiet for one maybe loud for others), but interested in your opinion, does Defender quieter/smoother than Primacy?
Old 01-23-19, 01:27 AM
deadguy
Driver

Originally Posted by BCT
I know sound is relative (what is quiet for one maybe loud for others), but interested in your opinion, does Defender quieter/smoother than Primacy?
The Primacy was a great tire, but I don't recall it being better than the Defender with regards to noise, but remember it being an equally smooth ride. They were, however, more remarkable than the Premier. I went with the Premier based on what folks here were saying, and the fact the Primacy was being discontinued.

The additional mileage expected out of the Defender makes it that much better IMO.
BCT (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 05:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by deadguy
The Primacy was a great tire, but I don't recall it being better than the Defender with regards to noise, but remember it being an equally smooth ride. They were, however, more remarkable than the Premier. I went with the Premier based on what folks here were saying, and the fact the Primacy was being discontinued.

The additional mileage expected out of the Defender makes it that much better IMO.
Just wondering if Dead guy is Jerry Garcia / Dead, or as in not alive....

Quick Reply: Need help choosing new Michelin tires