LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help choosing new Michelin tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 07:03 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE
=designdude;10941918]As a follow-up to my follow-up, mileage on my Premier A/S is now about 34K miles. They still handle well, but are noisier. And they seem to be wearing faster. I stopped by Discount Tire this past week (the dealer I have used) to have them take a look. Tread is now at 3/32 - in spots a little worse. The technician said the 60K pro-rated warranty won't kick in until they get to 2/32. He also said these tires don't wear well in SoCal, and are better suited to an Oregon / Washington kind of climate. A little cooler, where there is more rain and snow.

I looked back through my receipts, and I bought these exactly 5 years ago, $1140 out the door. A little bummed about the wear issue, but $230 per year for tires is pretty good. Started thinking about replacements, been looking at tire reviews, evaluating what's next. Earlier today I pulled the trigger on a Black Friday ebay sale on a set of Ohtsu FP8000 tires. These are the Chinese version of the Falken FK452, a high performance summer tire, now discontinued. With tax, shipping, and installation at a local Firestone store, total came to $497.84. Yeah, I know they are going to wear a lot faster, but even if get 20K miles out of them I will be coming out ahead.[/QUOTE]

think about this, the tire is the only part of your luxury car that touches the pavement, do you really want to go cheap on that?

I always advocate for finding a good deal - but tires are not just round, black and made rubber... it’s not all mileage wars. There are varying factors to take into account. Back to you have a luxury car, if you want to compromise the ride, noise and safety, yes buy a off brand tire. If you don’t, shop around, you’ll be surprised at what you can find. Discount tire price matches too if you find something online.
Old 11-30-20, 07:36 AM
designdude
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

think about this, the tire is the only part of your luxury car that touches the pavement, do you really want to go cheap on that?

I always advocate for finding a good deal - but tires are not just round, black and made rubber... it’s not all mileage wars. There are varying factors to take into account. Back to you have a luxury car, if you want to compromise the ride, noise and safety, yes buy a off brand tire. If you don’t, shop around, you’ll be surprised at what you can find. Discount tire price matches too if you find something online.
Yes, tires are more the just round, black, and made of rubber. They are also engineered for various uses, and to satisfy various criteria. And then there is the branding, advertising costs, etc. I have bought very expensive tires in the past - sometimes I have been satisfied, sometimes not. This time, I am buying tires that are made by a lesser known brand, and the reviews surpass those of many premium brands. I have shopped around, and I was surprised at what I found. The Ohtsu FP8000 is in the top tier of high performance summer tires, and at a great price. Living in San Diego, I think they will make my luxury car ride even better than before.
Old 12-01-20, 05:54 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts

Over here in the UK if you drive on tyres with less than 1.6mm (2/32") and they pull you over, you ain't driving no further until they are replaced.
If more than one tyre is low, or if your spare is no good, you're looking at paying for a tow, plus the fine for an "unroadworthy vehicle" plus new tyres.
Most here swap tyres at around 2mm remaining, but Lease companies change them if below 5mm.

I like the Avon ZZ5s I currently have on mine, and when they get low I'll try the newer ZV7.
They are quiet, grip well, have awesome wet grip, and seem to wear well with 20k miles on them and still have 5mm remaining (started with 8mm (10/32"))
I have no problem with Michelins but we don't get any mileage warranties here and they are substantially more expensive.
I can get all four ZV7s for 435 UKPounds (US$560) including fitting, balancing, and new valves.
The Michelin Primacy 3 or 4 are an extra 50 UKP (US$65) per corner and don't last any longer or run any quieter.
Old 12-20-20, 07:44 AM
Willauflex
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I need help choosing new All Season Tires. Currently on Michelin Defender. Considering:
1. Michelin Defender T&H
2. Pirelli Curato P7 All Season Plus II
3. Continental Control Contact Tour
4. Bridgestone Truranza

I live in near Chicago, with its cold, snow and rain all being a factor in my choice. I do not run winter tires. I appreciate your thoughts.
Best,
Bill
Old 12-20-20, 10:07 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Vredestein Quatrac Pro's from Tire Rack have all of the above beat. Best dry, rain, snow, super quiet and at a substantial savings. Try them you will not be sorry!
Old 12-20-20, 11:06 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Willauflex
I need help choosing new All Season Tires. Currently on Michelin Defender. Considering:
1. Michelin Defender T&H
2. Pirelli Curato P7 All Season Plus II
3. Continental Control Contact Tour
4. Bridgestone Truranza

I live in near Chicago, with its cold, snow and rain all being a factor in my choice. I do not run winter tires. I appreciate your thoughts.
Best,
Bill
I can personally comment on my experience with P7s....Put 1,000 miles on them and returned them....Yes they are quiet but handling and road feel were AWFUL!! The car was wallowing all over the road. No road feel. Defenders are for "long term tire wear" so they might also be lacking in road feel. I am currently replacing my Primacy MXM4s with another set. Yes they don't last long at all. Barely getting 20,000 miles out the set with all city driving... But they handle great, are quiet, and great in the rain. I won't sacrifice any of those characteristics for tread life. PS....The Primacys are not good for Willauflex...Not good for Northern driving... Terrible in snow.
Old 12-20-20, 03:27 PM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 181 Posts

The Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus, which I have, are terrific. They don't get much press or love here on this board but are extremely quiet, outstanding traction in dry and wet roads, and show very little wear after 12,000 miles. These are ultra high performance all season tires and rate well by Consumer Reports tire ratings, which is why I bought them.
Old 12-20-20, 03:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

Crossclimate 2s would be my suggestion
Old 05-08-23, 05:08 PM
designdude
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Following up on an old thread. Wanted to give an update on the Ohtsu FP8000 tires. It's been 2-1/2 years, and about 12,000 miles since I put these tires on my car.

They handle nice, and are quiet, but I have had some problems. They wear quickly, and unevenly. I had one tire go flat in Jan of 2022 - and the repair shop said it was not repairable, so I bought another one. Actually two, so I could have an exact spare in the trunk. I just went in for service, and the shop tells me 3 of the tires are borderline and should be replaced. And all three have wear issues in weird and different ways.

Bottom line, the FP8000 is not a tire I would recommend to anyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by designdude:
BigBoomer (05-09-23), byebyevw (05-09-23)
Old 06-12-23, 08:45 AM
chuck58
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is another thread specifically on tire known-user recommendations for the LS430, but I cannot find it. Can someone provide a link ? many thanks.
The following users liked this post:
HTGuy (06-17-23)