LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Time to change brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 11:23 AM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Time to change brakes

My 04 Ul is in need of some shoeing. I searched and didn't find any post on the subject. (really)
So if I replace the shoes and rotors plus the rear sensors, that's about all I need to do, right? The brake fluid isn't due a changing for some time.

Recommend pads and rotors please. How hard ad the rear sensor does what?

Also, I do have a slight issue with pulling sporadically. Not always.
Old 01-21-19, 11:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

When you say shoes, are you referring to the parking brakes in the back? I forgot to release the parking brake and yanked on the rear left rotor, causing the springs to all go flying. I did put everything back and see no reason to replace the shoes.

All I can say about OE rotors is that they will look the best through the opening of the wheels for the longest. The rear rotors develop a huge rust strip on the disc surface, which doesn't happen (actually less obvious) with original equipment. But this is appearance only doesn't affect performance. If you don't use original, then Centric coated rotors are good imho. Akebono ProAct pads also good. If you use OE pads then make sure you have the shims.

Interesting about the LS is all 4 of my rotors are loose, pretty much held on by the wheels, and if not, they have extractor bolt holes as well....sensors are on one side front and rear. They break and trigger a light as they get worn away. Lexus are a joke like $120, Raybestos maybe $10. I bought the latter but reinstalled the old since they did not trip.
Old 01-21-19, 02:14 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

There are many threads here on brake pads and rotors, everyone has a different opinion. Less threads about replacing the parking brake shoes, but it's not clear that is what you are asking about.

OEM Lexus pads are the quietest and best fit (assuming you haven't thrown out your factory anti-squeal shims), but they may be expensive where you are. Check Amayama and other online retailers for pricing. If OEM pads are too expensive where you are, Akebono ProACT pads work nearly identically, and have anti-squeal shims pre-installed. Akebono also invented and patented a lot of brake pad technology and is the OEM manufacturer for many major carmakers.

Some people here have noted that the Advics have a good bite to them and are cost-effective compared to the Akebono and OEM pads. I have a set of Advics ready for my next pad change, and they also come with anti-squeal shims.

Regarding rotors, I haven't seen many people post mileage data on OEM vs aftermarket. My front OEM rotors averaged 78,000 km before getting pedal pulsation (based on 2 sets, 85k from factory and 71k after), while my rear OEM rotors lasted 138,000kms. I am running Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors on front and rears now, based on their seemingly excellent manufacturing tolerances, an order of magnitude better than their standard line. Other manufacturers including Lexus and Centric don't publish their tolerances. If my front Raybestos AT rotors last longer than 78,000kms, then I will proclaim them to be higher quality than OEM, and if the rear Raybestos AT rotors fail before 138,000 km of use, I will likely switch back to OEM permanently.

Pad wear sensors are on right hand side only, both front and back wheels. It is a simple wire loop - when the loop is broken, the pad wear warning goes on. Go on eBay and buy the cheapest sensors you can find from China, I got 2 for $8 CAD. If you check your brakes yourself regularly, you can just cut the epoxy piece off and twist the wires together to complete the circuit to disable the warning.
Old 04-30-19, 09:36 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I looked into Akebono brakes and found not to be crazy money, reasonable.

I do have a question if should I consider Brembo rotors and brakes for a full set for only $358. Or I can get OEM front and rear rotors plus OEM Lexus shoes for $540.
My 04 LS430 pulls sometimes to the left when I stop. Would this be indicative of bad calipers? And if I was to replace the calipers, rebuild mine or re- manufactured?
Also looking at NAPA rotors called Ultra Premium, but something about Brembo sounds better.

Funny my local indie wants $280 for the fronts which I feel (know) will balloon to $1000. So I will supply the parts and even then, it seems without calipers, I'm looking at just under $700 for just the parts. This includes new 2 new brake pad sensors and the brae hardware kit.

So any thoughts on doing brakes on a LS430?
Old 05-01-19, 04:01 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I went with raybestos AT rotors and OEM pads up front. I flushed brake fluid awhile later. I wish I had something with a bit more grab.
Old 05-01-19, 08:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Since I've done all 4 corners now, I would stick with OE. I'm just one of those who finds rust to be unsightly. The painted rotors do not rust on the hats, but this car, as does many Asian ones, have a large rust stripe on the rotor face. OE will not develop it, at least not bright orange. I have $27 Centric coated rotors in the rear, and I am certain they perform just as well as OE, but I don't like the rust stripe. I'm sure many don't care, in which case, it's a really economical job...
Old 05-01-19, 09:25 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Since I've done all 4 corners now, I would stick with OE. I'm just one of those who finds rust to be unsightly. The painted rotors do not rust on the hats, but this car, as does many Asian ones, have a large rust stripe on the rotor face. OE will not develop it, at least not bright orange. I have $27 Centric coated rotors in the rear, and I am certain they perform just as well as OE, but I don't like the rust stripe. I'm sure many don't care, in which case, it's a really economical job...
i agree. It’s mind boggling to me how difficult it is to find an aftermarket rotor that doesn’t superficially rust... Even the Centric “coated” rotors I bought and then RECOATED have developed slight rust spots on the hats, and this is on a car that never sees snow and barely sees rain..

Next time around I wanna try the EBC Ultimax rotors. Now those look cool and from everything I’ve read are extremely resilient to rusting. We’re talking $$$$ though.
Old 05-01-19, 09:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Peacebay
i agree. It’s mind boggling to me how difficult it is to find an aftermarket rotor that doesn’t superficially rust... Even the Centric “coated” rotors I bought and then RECOATED have developed slight rust spots on the hats, and this is on a car that never sees snow and barely sees rain..

Next time around I wanna try the EBC Ultimax rotors. Now those look cool and from everything I’ve read are extremely resilient to rusting. We’re talking $$$$ though.
Since our household has 2 Japanese, 1 American, 1 German car, I've found German to be the best. The disc is zinc coated, so almost 10 years later, they don't rust and fall off the hubs.

I had thought the American would be the same, as the rotors are baked in an oven (OE) with nitrogen, and they look like the German ones out of the box, i.e. no need to clean the rotors before installation, and gray/white in appearance over the entire disc. But 10 mos. later after installation, I see rust starting, and these are OE General Motors. Toyota are no better, but better than aftermarket. The rust that does form, is darker, not bright orange. Again, until this LS430, I never noticed. But almost all Asian cars seem to have that rust stripe that occupies almost 1/3 of the rotor surface! Whereas German cars go edge to edge.