LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is flying out to buy a car too risky?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 07:16 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Is flying out to buy a car too risky?

I'm pretty hard set on flying somewhere in the south to get a car that has little or no rust. I live in Minnesota so any car that I buy used up here is going to have moderate rust at the least. My plan is to buy a one way ticket to a southern state like Texas and drive back in my new LS430. I'm wondering if any of you here have experience with something like this and could offer me some advice? What I would think to do is get a Carfax report from them and ask for clear pictures of the car showing everything in detail. I'll also make sure that the title is clean, preferably a one owner car, and obviously no rust.
Old 01-21-19, 07:31 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

I've always found the search process especially frustrating as the cars that look great in photos always seem to disappoint. On the other hand the cars that don't necessarily jump out and grab you can also be a pleasant surprise. I would only consider flying one way if i knew someone at the destination like a friend or even another forum member. Someone who is impartial to the sale and can provide an honest assessment on the details that matter to you.
Old 01-21-19, 07:33 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

I did this exact thing last year. Well, basically.
I was on a vacation in Florida when I decided to look around for any 430s. A dealer in Palm Beach wanted $15k for an old man special: gold on beige 2005 with 65k miles.
Long story short I ended up buying it (for 5k less than asking) because I’d never seen a car that old be so clean having lived in New England all of my life.
Anyway, the process was easy. I was offered temp plates to drive the car back after insuring it. Then a month or so later they mailed me my permanent plates.
Old 01-21-19, 08:43 PM
jdmhoes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars will always show better on photos than in person. Make sure you are atleast 80% sure you really want it. It would be disappointing to get there and its not in the condition you want. You should try local or neighboring state Craigslist. Atleast cars in warmer states do not really have corrosion, but warmer states do get faded headlamps. GoodLuck!
Old 01-22-19, 02:20 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

I have had private sale experience on both sides of long distance deals and must say that it can be unnerving. When you find a car in which you have serious interest focus on those things that would cause you to walk away. If you are satisfied that they are in order, you can have greater confidence in the process. It helps if you are not unrealistic about your expectations - these are, after all, now old cars. In the end though, you must be prepared for the expense and disappointment if it falls short in person.
Old 01-22-19, 04:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I've never done it but to me it makes sense the older the car is, or the more expensive. On a 2006 which the majority are 13 years old, why not erase 13 years of exposure to salt? I've seen the YouTubes where a Ford pickup's frame literally has holes as a result. My Nissan Maxima's lower radiator support collapsed (known issue, $1400 body shop job, $130 forum member repair!).

Of course if possible do the leg work in advance, maybe an actual dealership is better? Heck if you do Southwest Air, you can even cancel the flight and really no penalty except you have to use the credit in 1 year.

I never did it but my car was from Naples, FLA, and the indie in NJ said it doesn't look like an northeastern car when lifted...so that's a plus...good luck.
Old 01-22-19, 05:03 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I think the experience would be interesting and fun to say the least. I would consider doing it.

One thing I would personally do before your DRIVE back home would be to take the LS to a quick oil change place. While I'd never willingly take my cars to one of those places, I've had VERY good experience with several different Valvoline Quick Oil change facilities with my company vehicle. At both (different) locations the employees were super courteous and never tried to upsell me any services.

Somehow/someway, you should definitely have an oil change done before your drive home (even if the oil shows golden on the dipstick). Obviously make sure all the other things that you can personally verify are spot on too, like ~32PSI tire pressure all around. Just my thought.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 01-22-19 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-22-19, 07:40 AM
VWTim
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find a reputable mechanic in the area of purchase first and arrange for a pre-purchase inspection that you pay for. I do this for even local purchases as I don't have an access to a lift anymore.
Old 01-22-19, 09:09 AM
sneakyimp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought one 3 months ago this way. I got an inspection done by a 3rd party (AIM) then once it checked out I flew down with my girlfriend and drove it back the next day. There are a few things wrong with the car I am addressing but to get a rust free southern car with the UL package and under 100k miles I couldn't be too picky.
Old 01-22-19, 11:30 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

always have a plan b, like other cars that may interest you if the initial car you went for fails.
Old 01-22-19, 01:19 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

This thread inspired me to take a quick look at the 430's for sale in my area. I'm not in the market for one but it doesn't hurt to look...
I found this- https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...795010302.html
Price is a bit high for an 02 but the interior colors are awesome!
Old 01-22-19, 02:08 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

I flew to buy my LS430. Totally worth it, even considering that the 5 hour drive took 8 hours because there was a gigantic snowstorm that night. 10 years and 2 days ago that was.
Old 01-22-19, 04:35 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had similar concerns in the past.

What has given me peace of mind is buying a round-trip ticket via a price comparison website. In many instances you can fly round-trip on several of the lower cost airlines for the same cost of a one-way ticket via one of the mainstream airlines.

In addition, I compile a list of common fail points of that particular make/model and ask for specific details and pictures.

LS430 examples:
  • If the vehicle has navigation, ask for images of the surrounding area of the navigation unit for abnormal wear
  • If the vehicle has higher miles, ask for images of the drive-side and center console leather, as these are high wear area
Looking forward to reading about your new car in the near future!
Old 01-23-19, 05:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by OG Member
I've had similar concerns in the past.

What has given me peace of mind is buying a round-trip ticket via a price comparison website. In many instances you can fly round-trip on several of the lower cost airlines for the same cost of a one-way ticket via one of the mainstream airlines.

In addition, I compile a list of common fail points of that particular make/model and ask for specific details and pictures.

LS430 examples:
  • If the vehicle has navigation, ask for images of the surrounding area of the navigation unit for abnormal wear
  • If the vehicle has higher miles, ask for images of the drive-side and center console leather, as these are high wear area
Looking forward to reading about your new car in the near future!
The other thing is what do you do with the "givens."

Meaning, virtually every single car experiences a driver door actuator failure, yes it's DIY, yes it's $840 at the dealer. Almost every car has an issue with the electric mirror switch, yes it's a DIY. Some cars have an issue with rear sunshade. Some cars have excessive wear on the inside of b-pillar espcially driver side. Most cars have a sagging driver side seat cushion, regardless of mileage. Many cars will have negative camber on the rear wheels that is bordering on out of spec and it cannot be adjusted. Many cars are gonna have cheap rotors from brake jobs through the years, is that ok? Many cars are missing door caps or have peeling vinyl on the drip rails.

My question these days is what if your car has all of the above, which is basically normal, but the dealer or seller wants top dollar. Do you pay, have them knock something off, walk, discount, repair, etc. I think many accept them and DIY, but I think the price should come down....I was fortunate that a GMC dealer was willing to do the door actuator and front brakes/rotors/pads/sensor/caliper bolts with OE. They forgot the shims, though. lol
Old 01-23-19, 11:23 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VWTim
Find a reputable mechanic in the area of purchase first and arrange for a pre-purchase inspection that you pay for. I do this for even local purchases as I don't have an access to a lift anymore.
Originally Posted by sneakyimp
I just bought one 3 months ago this way. I got an inspection done by a 3rd party (AIM) then once it checked out I flew down with my girlfriend and drove it back the next day. There are a few things wrong with the car I am addressing but to get a rust free southern car with the UL package and under 100k miles I couldn't be too picky.
Both good things.

I've done this three times, including a Los Angeles to Florida drive over nine days for a well-deserved vacation driving to sites I've wanted to see, including arriving at the Grand Canyon 20 mins before sunset(!).

I would add that you should thoroughly vet the seller. Get personal details such as what you'd see on a credit application. Then, use Google to do your research to verify, including Google-ing the phone numbers.

It's okay to send a token deposit - $500 - to hold the car. Use Paypal with your credit card in case you need to dispute it.

Of course, meet in a neutral place. I used a local bank or Credit Union; use your National bank if you are a customer. The staff can help you with title signatures, if you have questions.

Quick Reply: Is flying out to buy a car too risky?