LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

is your steering wheel perfectly centered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 06:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default is your steering wheel perfectly centered?

Mine is not anymore. Went for an alignment on 1/12, and the car came back like it was when I bought it, wheel to the right. Took it back 1/19, and it's better, but still off.

The way you can tell is the horizontal line running under the L. I'm annoyed but will live with it until I put my all seasons back on with the OE rims (I have lifetime alignment), because now, my camber has gone positive on the RF. I have a feeling this has something to do with it. Meaning, when I went in 1/12, the steering was fine, but the alignment was off.

My wife's on the other hand, put on a decent amount of mileage and hit tons of potholes, 82k, come in and everything was still green, and wheel perfectly centered.

My hunch is this, and someone out there can likely correct me. Chances are, the wheel has never been touched from the factory, i.e. taking it off and moving it relative to the splines. I think the off center has to do with the tie rods being adjusted so that the car is within spec for the alignment, not the wheel centering. Meaning alignment specs > wheel centered.
Old 01-23-19, 06:58 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Ask them if they will let you sit In the car to hold the wheel straight while they align it. Most likely they won’t but they might take a little more care when they try setting it again...
Old 01-23-19, 07:43 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

Part of the alignment job is centering the steering wheel. Take it back or to a different location that has a competent tech.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 08:13 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I have all my service done by my Lexus dealer. I think I've only once had the wheel slightly off center after an alignment. Took it back and they were quick to correct it. Don't accept the wheel off center after an alignment.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 08:15 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
Part of the alignment job is centering the steering wheel. Take it back or to a different location that has a competent tech.
100% Correct! I too am particular about my steering wheel being centered. Going down the highway on the center lane (that is not pitched very much to the right or left) should show your steering wheel as being centered. At the beginning of every alignment they should have the steering centered and held in place before any suspension changes are made. I agree that you can ask to sit in the car (as that also influences the adjustments). however I doubt they will accommodate you. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 01-23-19, 08:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

You guys are all right--here is the confirmation. Turning the tie rods the same amount in the same direction does not affect the alignment but will alter the wheel, if you know what you are doing so as to not affect the toe.

I think the #1 concern of Firestone is the toe--this changed on my 2nd alignment to a better spec, and the wheel did slightly improve where the wheel was not as much off center. But I get it, that is not their priority.

Interesting too that BMWs are slightly off to the left from the factory--I have seen this in my car, and in almost every loaner too. Knew that they weighted the vehicle but not that there is a level that's put on the wheel.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=11
Old 01-24-19, 01:57 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the exact same problem with steering wheel being slightly off center to the right. Had two alignment jobs done, one by dealer, one by my indy with same result. Had lower control arm bushings replaced even though shop said they were ok. Another alignment and the steering wheel is perfect and doesnt change over road crown.

The caster on the rear is -2.0 on both sides and cant be adjusted. This is out of spec due to spring sag but doesnt affect how the car tracks. Dealer wanted $1300 to change rear lower control arms to different versions. Theres zero tire wear and car drives perfect so I told them to take a hike.

I had Firestone lifetime alignment when I had my Maxima on coilovers which was nice when changing ride heights all the time. However I would never let those idiots touch my LS. These cars hold alignment very well so once you have it right, it will be good.

I meant camber not caster.

Last edited by RushNatU; 01-24-19 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

All good info, I won't worry in the near future, but would like to take it to another shop. Going back to the very very beginning where I got the car used, everything was off. When they were done, they explained the rear camber to me which were like -1.8 on both sides. What doesn't make any sense is the next 3 alignments show only the right rear as out of spec. How would the rear left suddenly be in spec? Also, my RF is now -1, what happened? Would be curious to simply see the results on another machine, and also insist on centering the wheel again....

I agree where I would never take my BMW to Firestone, as dealers have their own procedure. But I am ok with the LS and my wife's car. If for anything else, the BMW dealer adjusts a vehicle that is all green, to the middle of each setting. They also break things, deny they did, and made me go to the BBB as well lol (the ripped out my rear right brake sensor wire (indie explained the nut can be super frozen, and when using a 1/2" ratchet, it can give way and the handle absolutely crosses the path of the wire), and I had just replaced it myself and driven 80 miles when it happened--they claimed it was like that, wrong answer).