LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

another disappointing OEM hub bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 07:13 PM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default another disappointing OEM hub bearing

Had a humming noise in the front end and after lifting the front end up spun the tires and passenger side is nice and smooth but drivers is growling. Currently car has 309000kms. So, i look at my service records and the front bearings were replace 80000kms ago at approx 225000kms. So, the first set lasts 225000kms and the second only 80000kms? WTH??

Phone Lexus where it was done and asked them if the previous owner used OEM and they said yes. That's just ridiculous that this one lasted only 80000kms. So, i buy a Beck/Arnley via RockAuto and i am in the process of remove and install but holy smack, it's in there good. I've tried everything.....hammer, 5lb hammer after heating the back with Benz heat, chisel in the back to push it out, slide hammer with heat, then with the towel trick.. it aint' moving. So, pull the knuckle off tonight to get it to my mechanic so that he can hopefully press it out.

Very disappointed in the OEM bearing. Not only that, the caliper bolts had anti seize on them, so it looks like Lexus reused them when they did the brakes at 291000kms.

Only good thing is that we are in a serious deep freeze here and it's -50 with the windchill. Nice not to drive a car in that weather. Wife's Sequoia was driven to work today and it was like driving a Flintstone car.
Old 01-29-19, 07:25 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by caddylover
Had a humming noise in the front end and after lifting the front end up spun the tires and passenger side is nice and smooth but drivers is growling. Currently car has 309000kms. So, i look at my service records and the front bearings were replace 80000kms ago at approx 225000kms. So, the first set lasts 225000kms and the second only 80000kms? WTH??

Phone Lexus where it was done and asked them if the previous owner used OEM and they said yes. That's just ridiculous that this one lasted only 80000kms. So, i buy a Beck/Arnley via RockAuto and i am in the process of remove and install but holy smack, it's in there good. I've tried everything.....hammer, 5lb hammer after heating the back with Benz heat, chisel in the back to push it out, slide hammer with heat, then with the towel trick.. it aint' moving. So, pull the knuckle off tonight to get it to my mechanic so that he can hopefully press it out. ices
Very disappointed in the OEM bearing. Not only that, the caliper bolts had anti seize on them, so it looks like Lexus reused them when they did the brakes at 291000kms.

Only good thing is that we are in a serious deep freeze here and it's -50 with the windchill. Nice not to drive a car in that weather. Wife's Sequoia was driven to work today and it was like driving a Flintstone car.
It is quite unusual for your replaced wheel bearing to fail so early on. Of course it can be a number of things...Of course firstly, a defective wheel bearing, but might also be an improper install, or some kind of road trauma that damaged the bearing. Regardless, I feel your pain. Our wheel bearings can be a pricey repair as I have experience having done both my passenger side front and rear. Each cost me approximately $500 X 2......I'm not looking forward to another replacement. Good luck and let us know how you make out and what brand bearing you will be going with. PS...It is quite disappointing to hear that Lexus did not replace your caliper bolts when they replaced the brake pads and also should be doing it with the bearing replacement. I changed my caliper bolts during both of those services.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 01-29-19 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-29-19, 07:27 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Sorry to hear that you are going through this frustrating issue.

A lot depends how you drive. Another factor to consider is that the bearings supplied to the factory (plus lots of other parts) may differ from the ones sold as OEM. We all know situation with brake parts, oil filters, etc. Factory always receives the highest quality stuff which explains why even after a long journey the used original part may still exceed in quality that new aftermarket one. Speaking of which, Koyo and Timken are the only trustworthy brands to go with. Beck arnley, moog, and eBay brands are all going to be the short term solution.
Old 01-29-19, 07:40 PM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 699 Likes on 572 Posts

Hitting a few nasty potholes with the same wheel can quickly compromise a bearing so they may not alwways wear as expected.
18" wheels with lower profile tires (stiffer sidewall) are even more vulnerable.
+1 on KOYO and Timken, wouldn't even consider anything else...
Old 01-30-19, 05:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

That the Lexus dealer reused caliper bolts is disappointing, but it's a trick in the car industry to include warranty work. Either the mfg pays or the customer pays, shop reuses parts and tech pockets them for his side jobs. With a brake sensor wire being $130, how much you wanna bet if not broken shop pockets it and reuses? And I would think this is not all the time, just that the incentive to cheat is there. Disappointing. That's why customers should insist on old parts being returned. If they "forgot," well, then, we don't pay for the work. I was reminded of the above when I read a BMW warranty procedure for fuel injector replacement under warranty--tech must scan them into the system and they are serialized--no scan, no reimubursement. No theft.
Old 01-30-19, 07:13 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
That the Lexus dealer reused caliper bolts is disappointing, but it's a trick in the car industry to include warranty work. Either the mfg pays or the customer pays, shop reuses parts and tech pockets them for his side jobs. With a brake sensor wire being $130, how much you wanna bet if not broken shop pockets it and reuses? And I would think this is not all the time, just that the incentive to cheat is there. Disappointing. That's why customers should insist on old parts being returned. If they "forgot," well, then, we don't pay for the work. I was reminded of the above when I read a BMW warranty procedure for fuel injector replacement under warranty--tech must scan them into the system and they are serialized--no scan, no reimubursement. No theft.
Unfortunately, generally speaking, many customers are under the belief, that if their car is taken to the authorized dealer they will be getting any service done properly and professionally. Too bad that may not be the case. Sad but true. If warranty work is not necessary, this is a very good reason to have a trusted independent mechanic on hand.
Old 01-30-19, 07:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Unfortunately, generally speaking, many customers are under the belief, that if their car is taken to the authorized dealer they will be getting any service done properly and professionally. Too bad that may not be the case. Sad but true. If warranty work is not necessary, this is a very good reason to have a trusted independent mechanic on hand.
Agreed, it comes down to the natural process imho....an indie relies upon their reputation, a dealership doesn't. I'll mention it again, I took my BMW to an indie to have my online tires mounted and balanced, also new TPMS from online installed. Charge was $100 total, when dealer wanted $75/wheel. When I went to get my car, it was in the shop being bucket washed. I said to myself that's pride in the work. The Japanese indie is the same, they even discourage replacing things unnecessarily. That may not be good for revenue, but it may be good for them in the long run. A lot of indies cannot see a customer for a week or two because they are booked. That's not common for dealerships.
Old 01-30-19, 10:42 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Never had a problem reusing caliper bolts, especially if it is the first reuse.
Sounds as though the original wheel bearing damaged the spindle. I'd replace the spindle and wheel bearing. DO NOT tighten beyond the manufacturer's specification. Too loose is better than to tight.
The following users liked this post:
hyperopt (02-10-19)
Old 01-30-19, 11:02 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenr
Never had a problem reusing caliper bolts, especially if it is the first reuse.
Sounds as though the original wheel bearing damaged the spindle. I'd replace the spindle and wheel bearing. DO NOT tighten beyond the manufacturer's specification. Too loose is better than to tight.
I would still suggest to avoid re-using caliper bolts due to two simple reasons: in certain climates these bolts may get corroded from environment, or they may simple get stuck there after several years. In the worst case scenario you ll need to drill the out and then most likely the threads will be already damaged. I can imagine what would happen to threads if you apply anti seize and overtorque and reuse caliper bolts... definitely not a good idea!
Old 01-30-19, 11:43 AM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

they probably reused the bolts due to the fact they had none in stock. I asked to purchase two bolts and they said they had to order them in. Huh?!?

I live in a city of almost a million people and there is ONE Lexus dealer, so they pretty much do what they want and can charge what they want. There are 4 Toyota dealerships, one Maserati and one Alpha Romeo. one Mercedes, one Land Rover, etc. So, there is money here, but the Lexus monopoly is disappointing. No one carries inventory anymore it seems, but you would think that brake jobs would be common place.

FWIW the bolts look new and yes, i will reuse them as my time is tight and the wife wants the Sequoia back.

UPDATE on the wheel bearing......took the knuckle to my indie and it took him literally 10 minutes to do the job. He took an air hammer and hit the bolt hole area and spun it so it broke a bit free of the corrosion, then hammered it out.