Tint for Double-pane Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 04:51 AM
gbenzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint for Double-pane Windows?

Hey folks,

Proud new member of an 06 LS430 with the Custom Luxury Package. As you know this package comes with double-pane windows for the side glass. It definitely quiets the cabin and provides less UV exposure.

Question is - has anyone else tinted their Custom Luxury edition and what kind of tint did you use?

I am reading some conflicting information online about the type of tint to use so that it does not affect the window seals and cause the glass to frost. Is this a myth?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-05-19, 05:38 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

no double, you can use any tint even found on ebay.
Old 02-05-19, 11:22 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

The dual panes are laminated so there is no air gap between them like in home dual pane windows. Any tint will work fine with no issues. The higher quality/more expensive films will last longer and work better.
Old 02-05-19, 11:37 AM
Vantage007
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 50 Posts

My Ultra has dual-pane windows and it has been tinted. I don't think there are any real differences when it comes to tint application in this regard...
Old 02-05-19, 11:58 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

I got my UL tinted 10 years ago with FormulaONE Pinnacle 15 tint. Lifetime warranty honored at any FormulaONE installer. You need to inform the tint installer that your windows are double-paned and to not hold the heat on one spot for too long, as that can cause the window to shatter or delaminate (exhibited by frosting). My first FormulaONE installer told me this, and oddly enough, his shop didn't do the job very well - didn't clean the windows properly before applying tint so at night - I could see streaks in the glass at night, got soapy water into my door window controls, didn't align top edge of tint with the glass edge, etc. His shop went out of business and I had the job redone for free at another FormulaONE installer in town. Clean all interior glass yourself before taking it in - use Stoners Invisible Glass and multiple clean microfibre cloths until your glass is absolutely pristine and squeaky clean.

Take good pictures of all glass BEFORE the job so you can see if they caused any delamination damage. My front RH window has minor frosting that cannot be seen unless you roll the window all the way up and look downwards into the base. I believe it was caused by the first installer although I have no proof. The second installer took before and after pics, and I didn't do a thorough inspection until after I got the car back. I thought the second installer had caused the frosting but his before pics showed it was pre-existing. The first installer didn't take pics. The delamination hasn't gotten any worse over the past 10 years, so I think it was caused by the first installer and not by age or extreme weather (we get -25C to +35C here).
Old 02-05-19, 12:43 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

The only time they should use a heat gun is on the winshield or rear window if its super curvy the tint is not gonna make you glass get messed up there is no way a heat gun would melt the laminate in the window it would shatter the glass before that point. Use llumar great stuff just did my windshield with it on my rx, got the windshield done on the ls with llumar also.
Old 02-05-19, 12:51 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

The delamination is in regards to the two sheets of glass laminated together, forming the double-paned glass. Base models do NOT have this extra thick double-paned acoustic glass (roll down a window and look down from the top).

Delamination means separation of these two glass layers, which is not a common problem with the UL models. According to the FormulaONE tint installer, heating up one spot of a double-paned glass for too long can cause the entire glass to shatter. I personally think that it can also accelerate delamination (aka frosting) where the bonding wasn't particularly strong from the factory. Delamination does NOT refer to the melting or separation of the safety lamination sheet applied to the glass. I don't think it's even possible to remove the lamination from laminated glass.

Last edited by StanVanDam; 02-11-19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-06-19, 04:41 AM
gbenzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All great points here guys, thanks for your feedback and experience!

I was confused on the double-pane with gas in between the seals vs laminated double-pane without any gas.

I have emailed two tint installers explaining the situation and depending on their response I will determine which to choose. The heat is what will cause frosting I believe so I will make it clear that they should not use a heat gun or use it sparingly if required. I will also be sure to take pictures of the glass prior!

Thanks again
Old 02-06-19, 10:38 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Only UL models have this extra thick double-paned acoustic glass.
My ML has it...