LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

seat belt hard to use

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 01:27 PM
KarenAnne
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default seat belt hard to use

I bought a 2003 LS430 a few weeks ago. I am having trouble getting the seat belt to close easily,

In my ancient previous cars, the receptacle side of the seat belt extended several inches above the horizontal part of the seat, so it was easy to grab it, hold it in position, and when I put the metal other end of the seat belt in it, it latched securely immediately, It was a one second easy operation.

In the Lexus, the receptacle is way down at the horizontal part of the seat. There is no grabbing it, although I can fish around and by sitting sideways (I am not overweight), I can at least see the receptacle hole, but not once I try to get the metal end into it, that blocks my view of the small hole. It takes 4 or 5 tries to get the metal thing securely into it.

I bought an extender, thinking that would help. but apparently they sent me the wrong one, as I can get it into the existing receptacle with some effort, but it does not stay latched in.

Is this just me or what :-) Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Old 02-07-19, 06:36 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by KarenAnne
Is this just me or what :-) Am I missing something?

Thanks.
No, it's a little awkward to get the belt into the receptacle. I've had to fight with it if I have a suit jacket on or a winter coat and my dad always hated riding in my LS because he would wrestle with getting the belt latched, until I reached over and helped him (he's 86)

It's no better with our 2005. Same scenario. The Chevy Volt I now drive is a breeze to latch when compared to the LS. I guess it's just something we get used to doing. Thank goodness they're illuminated!
The following users liked this post:
KarenAnne (02-07-19)
Old 02-07-19, 06:45 AM
MacroP
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

For comparison - This is how far mine stick out - both left and right front seats. 2001 model. I do wonder if they have been changed out at some time in the past?

KarenAnne (02-07-19)
Old 02-07-19, 02:25 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

hmmmm Maybe it's in the process. I guess I put mine on and don't think about it. Grab the belt with my left hand and pull it out until I can grab the buckle with the right.
Then pull on the belt with my left hand to remove the tension while my right hand guides the buckle into the latch. Pretty sure I do it all by fell. I never look at it. Pushing down with my right hand give me plenty of leverage to press it in. Pretty sure the tacking the tension of the belt while trying to clip it is the key in this case.
There are those times when a jacket can get in the way, but I can feel that and pull it up and out of the way and then slide it in with my right hand.
I don't really grab the buckle, only put it in the V of my thumb and fingers and guide it toward the receiver. Pretty sure I use my then, free fingers to feel for the receiver and line it up before I press it down.
Since the receiving end is kinda wedged in between the seat and console it's not really going anywhere and I don't feel a need to hold it. It might also help that I'm right-handed.

Last edited by Legender; 02-07-19 at 02:36 PM.
KarenAnne (02-08-19)
Old 02-07-19, 03:58 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
hmmmm Maybe it's in the process. I guess I put mine on and don't think about it. Grab the belt with my left hand and pull it out until I can grab the buckle with the right.
Then pull on the belt with my left hand to remove the tension while my right hand guides the buckle into the latch. Pretty sure I do it all by fell. I never look at it. Pushing down with my right hand give me plenty of leverage to press it in. Pretty sure the tacking the tension of the belt while trying to clip it is the key in this case.
There are those times when a jacket can get in the way, but I can feel that and pull it up and out of the way and then slide it in with my right hand.
I don't really grab the buckle, only put it in the V of my thumb and fingers and guide it toward the receiver. Pretty sure I use my then, free fingers to feel for the receiver and line it up before I press it down.
Since the receiving end is kinda wedged in between the seat and console it's not really going anywhere and I don't feel a need to hold it. It might also help that I'm right-handed.
LIke he said. I can't really tell you how I put mine on. Just comes naturally and is a habit. A problem? Not!
Old 02-08-19, 05:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Mine needs a little help to retract, but I don't think about it that much. I do always make sure one time, in any car, that the seat belt is positioned at the highest setting possible, vertically. Isn't it interesting that ours are electric?!
KarenAnne (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 05:45 AM
KarenAnne
Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Mine needs a little help to retract, but I don't think about it that much. I do always make sure one time, in any car, that the seat belt is positioned at the highest setting possible, vertically. Isn't it interesting that ours are electric?!
I still have to suss out the tension. I am used to seat belts that fit closely, and this one is very loose. I understand from the web that they have changed over the years, but this one seems excessively loose.
Old 02-08-19, 05:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

This makes me wonder if the passenger side is not loose--I have sat in the pass. seat but didn't give it any thought when I buckled up. I always assumed the looseness was due to wear of whatever pulls the belt back in--mine needs me to feed it back, but at the same time, I don't think it's defective, meaning it would lock up in an accident.....

p.s. to support my wear theory on the driver's side.....the driver seat cushion is a bit flat, like many here...but the pass. side is almost like new and just fine....
KarenAnne (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 09:03 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

i am the same way. i never look at the buckle or receiver when putting my belt on.

but as other have said too, my belt needs help when putting it back in when i get out of the car.
KarenAnne (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 08:04 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

No problem with the belt retracting, as long as there is no twist in the belt.
Old 02-09-19, 09:13 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This is why I quit wearing my seatbelt. Thanks Toyota!

JK
Old 02-09-19, 09:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RushNatU
This is why I quit wearing my seatbelt. Thanks Toyota!

JK
You and my cousin would get along. His IQ is off the charts. But he doesn't wear seat belts, says they are restrictive. Drives 120 MPH everywhere he goes in his M5.

Also vehemently resists flu shots, vaccinations for his daughter, and says 401k plans are for fools. Such strange positions for someone who is highly intelligent! lol

Oh, and to show you where he isn't using his noggin'? I said I have all these fancy sunglasses due to FSA, having to spend it at the end of the year. He says nah, I just make up my own receipts, I'm not losing my money.

I know you're joking, with my cousin, I'm serious!
Old 02-09-19, 06:22 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
You and my cousin would get along. His IQ is off the charts. But he doesn't wear seat belts, says they are restrictive. Drives 120 MPH everywhere he goes in his M5.

Also vehemently resists flu shots, vaccinations for his daughter, and says 401k plans are for fools. Such strange positions for someone who is highly intelligent! lol

Oh, and to show you where he isn't using his noggin'? I said I have all these fancy sunglasses due to FSA, having to spend it at the end of the year. He says nah, I just make up my own receipts, I'm not losing my money.

I know you're joking, with my cousin, I'm serious!
Just having an high IQ doesn't necessarily mean that it is used to acquire knowledge necessary to draw logical conclusions. Ignoring common sense and establishing your own reality seems to show a problem with the brain.
Old 02-09-19, 11:52 PM
AZLexicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just had a family friend killed in an accident because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. The accident was totally survivable. The airbag deploying without a seatbelt along with the bouncing around from the collision killed her. She was only 18 so it was a tragic waste. The other driver in a smaller lighter vehicle walked away.
Old 02-10-19, 06:06 AM
KarenAnne
Driver

Originally Posted by AZLexicon
Just had a family friend killed in an accident because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. The accident was totally survivable. The airbag deploying without a seatbelt along with the bouncing around from the collision killed her. She was only 18 so it was a tragic waste. The other driver in a smaller lighter vehicle walked away.
I'm not suggesting people skip wearing their seatbelts. I always wear mine, even though this one takes a struggle to connect vs. the three seconds with the other cars I've driven in.

In the manual it turns out it says Lexus supplied free extenders. I called the local dealer's parts department but have not heard back from them about whether this is still available, even for a fee. I'm also sending the place I bought the extender from that doesn't work a photo of it and the Lexus one, as they are going to see if they sent the wrong one and have one that works.

Quick Reply: seat belt hard to use