LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

On the hunt

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 06:37 PM
cydalLS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb On the hunt

I'm assuming everyone here has or had an LS and would help me find my first LS! I have been hunting for 2 months and can't wait any longer! I'm in Seattle but willing to travel not past Texas/ Colorado so it includes Cali, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Portland.
Looking for a 04-06, Black on black with less than 150k miles. Clean title, no mods or light mod, ML and up.

If post's like these are'nt allowed, please remove.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-09-19, 04:48 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you may need to expand your search to nationwide. I bought my car online, and am well pleased.
Great hi res photos, service records, and a Lexus pre purchase inspection sealed the deal for me. I had the car trucked
to me, and that took way too long. It was a great way to buy a car. Still you gotta jump quick when the right one shows up. My car
had been online for a matter of hours. The great cars are getting harder to find, esp. in specific color combos. I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 02-09-19, 06:00 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Use CarGurus.com as you can set search parameters and when one pops up that meets your criteria, it will alert you.

That being said there's quite a few in Arizona, search Phoenix Craigslist.
Old 02-09-19, 06:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was actually thinking, isn't Seattle ideal, i.e. no salt on the roads? But being on the west coast, you could go down to NorCal or SoCal too.
Old 02-09-19, 08:09 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Will be tough to find a black car in AZ.
I also used CarGurus, great site. Don't know about Seattle, but PDX area they are using salt and deicer liquid now.
My car came from Ohio rust belt, no issues, car was undercoated new and was kept clean, some lite corrosion in the engine bay.
Service records show Y pipe replaced 10 K ago so GTG there.
Old 02-09-19, 09:39 AM
cydalLS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ricklin
I think you may need to expand your search to nationwide. I bought my car online, and am well pleased.
Great hi res photos, service records, and a Lexus pre purchase inspection sealed the deal for me. I had the car trucked
to me, and that took way too long. It was a great way to buy a car. Still you gotta jump quick when the right one shows up. My car
had been online for a matter of hours. The great cars are getting harder to find, esp. in specific color combos. I'll keep an eye out for you.
To do a Lexus pre purchase inspection, how much does that cost and do I just go there without appt? And yes, I'm ready to get one once the perfect one shows up.
Old 02-09-19, 09:40 AM
cydalLS
Rookie

CarGurus.com is on my daily search and I do put it to Nationwide!
Old 02-09-19, 09:52 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't forget AutoTrader. You can tell the owner to take it to a Lexus dealer and he can add inspection to sales price.

If they say "no inspection" - move on.
The following users liked this post:
cydalLS (02-09-19)
Old 02-09-19, 10:06 AM
kos
Advanced

I also used CarGurus, great site. Don't know about Seattle, but PDX area they are using salt and deicer liquid now.
My car came from Ohio rust belt, no issues, car was undercoated new and was kept clean, some lite corrosion in the engine bay.
You'd actually be surprised. lol.
Old 02-09-19, 10:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I like cars.com to pop up free Carfax (I know they are limited value but still like to see)....

It seems like this Dallas dealership is constantly getting LS430s. Maybe they seek them out to resell? And I know from the forum they used to sell parts online. Maybe they are worth a shot, meaning if they are experienced in reselling LS430s, who knows, maybe with the retail price they are willing to fix the stuff that are known issues. I know the dealer near me had zero issues on doing the timing belt included, and the mileage was not 90k yet either....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8343/overview/

edit here's a CL but I don't like the lack of a carfax...I prefer new car dealers myself....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3336/overview/

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-09-19 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 10:32 AM
kos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I like cars.com to pop up free Carfax (I know they are limited value but still like to see)....

It seems like this Dallas dealership is constantly getting LS430s. Maybe they seek them out to resell? And I know from the forum they used to sell parts online. Maybe they are worth a shot, meaning if they are experienced in reselling LS430s, who knows, maybe with the retail price they are willing to fix the stuff that are known issues. I know the dealer near me had zero issues on doing the timing belt included, and the mileage was not 90k yet either....

I too, noticed this while searching for mine. They also seem to cycle through them pretty quick as well, so Buyer would have to be ready to drop a deposit and fly out at the drop of a hat.
Old 02-09-19, 10:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kos
I too, noticed this while searching for mine. They also seem to cycle through them pretty quick as well, so Buyer would have to be ready to drop a deposit and fly out at the drop of a hat.
I feel like that door actuator needing a replacement is a given, if not today, then tomorrow, or next year. Why have to DIY it right off the bat, or pay $840 to a dealer....it's nothing, the dealer who sold me my car had the car in their possession for maybe one hour to do it (27 mos. later never an issue with it)...free of course, it was already broken and nobody noticed (they were a GMC dealer)...

I think me? If I see cheap rusted hats on rotors, I would want it swapped out. Not sure what dealers would say, the GMC replaced with Lexus OE because they pulsated....not because they were rusty on the hats...
Old 02-09-19, 12:45 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

I can attest as well, there's no shortage of masochists in Az who choose to suffer in a black car!
Here's a nice example, the craigslist price is high but if you go to their website it's listed at $13,999
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...806792174.html
Old 02-09-19, 05:13 PM
cydalLS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

edit here's a CL but I don't like the lack of a carfax...I prefer new car dealers myself....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3336/overview/
I checked and the Dallas dealership's LS has cashmere interior.

Originally Posted by kos
Originally Posted by bradland
I can attest as well, there's no shortage of masochists in Az who choose to suffer in a black car!
Here's a nice example, the craigslist price is high but if you go to their website it's listed at $13,999
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...806792174.html
I offered them 12.5 and they didnt get back at me. Am I being too cheap?
Old 02-09-19, 05:27 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by cydalLS
I checked and the Dallas dealership's LS has cashmere interior.

I offered them 12.5 and they didnt get back at me. Am I being too cheap?
The good ones move much too quickly to haggle over $1000 or even $1500. If it's what you're looking for and the car has no issues go for it. You really need to see the car in person before you start negotiating...

Last edited by bradland; 02-09-19 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: On the hunt