Difference between LS430 01-03 and 04+ models

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 04:13 AM
Pad01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Difference between LS430 01-03 and 04+ models

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread and would be happy to discuss in that particular thread, though I have not found what I'd like to discuss on these forums.

Also apologies for being offline for months (and I appreciate the replies to the other thread I started. Thanks!). Many things have been happening in my life so I've been very busy.

Anyway, down to business. I read somewhere (it might have actually been on these forums) that Lexus ironed out some problems they found in the 01-03 LS430 model and fixed those problems in the 04+ models. I believe it was components such as improved radiators and wheel bearings amongst other things. Can any of you comment on this please? Have any of you heard of problems (from minor to major) that occurred in 01-03 models but Lexus ironed out in their 04+ models? Would you guys consider all LS430 models when purchasing (depending on the actual condition, mileage etc of the car of course)?

Currently researching all LS430 models but it would be useful to get some comments as to this.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

- Paddy
Old 02-20-19, 05:52 AM
Vantage007
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 50 Posts

I personally prefer the post-facelift (2004-2006) styling better, which includes things like projector HID headlights and updated front/rear fasciae. I may be wrong, but I believe 2004 is also when the car got a six-speed automatic over the previous five-speed, and while early '04 production cars had some transmission issues (recall was issued IIRC), fuel consumption is marginally better thanks to the sixth gear.

I'm not exactly well versed on what other problems were ironed out, so suggesting we wait for more knowledgable folk to chime in!
Old 02-20-19, 06:23 AM
ndrk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some other minor changes…. (those are based on EU models but I guess US models were the same)*
Wood steering wheel for all trim levels
Air suspension for all trim levels
18 inch wheel as only wheel option
Air suspension was tuned to be a bit stiffer than earlier models
Mirrors in headliner for rear passengers for lower trim levels
Old 02-20-19, 06:54 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's pretty difficult to say what's different down to the component level. The only difference I remember outside of styling, trim, and transmission differences was the shock absorber changing from a certain design to a monotube design in 2004. Whatever that means.

Otherwise I really wouldn't be too worried about it. Anything post 2002+ will be fine. I noticed two or three different "professional" reviews from different sites in late 2000 for the 2001 model of the LS 430, noted lots of creaking inside the cabin. That's the only reason I would say to avoid the 2001 model year.
Old 02-20-19, 07:03 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

04-06 gained knee air bags also.
Old 02-20-19, 07:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by ndrk
Some other minor changes…. (those are based on EU models but I guess US models were the same)*
not at all, very different than your list. OP appears to be from UK as well, so that'll be different as well

Search is broken on CL right now, but here are some starter links
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-06-ls430.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-06-ls430.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...006-ls430.html

A bunch more via google
https://www.google.com/search?q=clublexus+difference+ls430+04-06+site:www.clublexus.com&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAka2vz8rgAhUD44MKHbUBBYcQrQIoBDAAegQICBAM&biw=2079&bih=1236

I don't recall reading about any radiator or bearing issues being addressed with the refresh, but doesn't mean it didn't happen. The 2004 model did have an issue with some of the 6 speed transmissions that was addressed via recall and fixed in 2005. Here's an issue thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...xus-ls430.html

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-20-19 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 08:34 AM
Pad01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks for all of your comments guys! Much appreciated!

@Vantage007 Something else I didn't know - I didn't realise that some had 5 speed auto boxes and others had 6 speed boxes.

@ndrk So some variants didn't have air suspension? I thought all had air suspension as standard. Wondering if that was the case in the EU and you guys over in the US had the option to buy models with standard shocks. Air suspension is something that does concern me as each corner would be about £1,000 (about $1,300) each to replace if they needed to be replaced. Roads are in a terrible state over here in England (much better in Wales though oddly enough), so yes that's adding to my concern.

@DaveGS4 Huge thanks for the links to all of those resources! I shall be looking at those. Also yes I am indeed from the UK. Hi from the UK!

As a whole though to everyone, would you guys consider all LS430 models post 2002 (depending on condition of course)?

Thanks,
Old 02-20-19, 10:42 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default In my experience

I've bought a car or two in my time. The car is pretty much my office during the work day. The worst thing about being a travelling salesman? The acute shortage of farmers daughters.
It is always preferable to purchase a car from later in the production vs. early on. The LS 430 was sold from 01-06 I chose 05 for my LS. My preference was 05 or 06 but would have been OK with 04 since it was a mid cycle refresh, not a totally new car. The individual car would make that call for me.

My long serving 2010 Prius is an example of the above. 2010 was the first year of the 3rd Gen. Prius. The 2010 Prius has a drinking problem. The 2010 model year is well known for high oil consumption when the odometer gets to 100 K and above. The fix is new pistons and rings. Ouch. Great car otherwise, but a quart of oil every other tank of fuel adds to the operating cost.
The 04-06 also has the 6 speed transmission which delivers a small increase in fuel mileage. The very low prices of the early LS 460's reflect the above. The first couple model years of the 460 have multiple issues.

I am convinced that manufacturer's tend to use the consumer more today than say 20 + years ago. Sure they test their designs, but we (consumers) have become the ultimate proving ground for new products. I've been a manufacturer's representative for decades. It's the way business is done now.
Old 02-20-19, 10:59 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

There is a FAQ's link at the top of the page. Wikipedia is also another source for info.

In the US, air suspension was an option (on ML and up, I believe) and not standard.

In case you find a good air suspension car, you can always convert to standard shocks.
Old 02-20-19, 11:49 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
There is a FAQ's link at the top of the page. Wikipedia is also another source for info.

In the US, air suspension was an option (on ML and up, I believe) and not standard.

In case you find a good air suspension car, you can always convert to standard shocks.
Air suspension was standard on the UL and not available as an option on any vehicle.
Old 02-20-19, 12:26 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

I have only seen the air suspension on UL cars. I will decide to convert should mine fail. I hope not, I am perfectly happy with the stock air suspension.
The cost of replacement is way down, compared to Lexus dealer. I'm hearing 750.00 each from an Amazon source for genuine OEM. I'll make that call if and when the time comes. For now I'll enjoy the comfy ride. Parts for the conversion to regular is around 1100, plus labor of course.
Old 02-20-19, 01:15 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts

At the present time, if pricing is a factor, most 01-06 models that are around 125,000- 150,000 miles + are similar in price. Condition for these older cars is the determining factor in choosing. In addition....the later model cars with very low miles can bring stronger values, but remember the cars are still quite old. Yes, the refresh for the 04-06 is a plus, but don't count out a well taken care of 01-03. Plus..........the 01-03 cars have a dipstick for the engine oil as well as the transmission. I'm sure there are a fair share of threads on the trans fluid changing on 04-06 cars without the dipstick. I've had my car for the last 10 years and notice the items I've addressed are the same for the refresh models including, 02 sensors, valve cover gaskets, wheel bearings, steering wheel motors, actuators, etc. Either way, the cars are truly reliable and over built. Just make sure you get a well serviced, non accident car and you'll be good as gold!

Last edited by Bocatrip; 02-20-19 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 04:13 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Default On the money

You are right on the money bocatrip. No accidents, and a strong service history. The more complex the car, the more important the service history becomes. I can see that significant accident damage on an LS would be an ongoing nightmare. It's a very complex car.

I would not have invested in a similar model car from a different manufacturer. I know Toyota products do hold up very well. I do most if not all my own work, not enough hours in the day to deal with a used M/B S class from 2005.
It's also helpful to have experience with Toyota products. Despite the model, the construction is the same. That makes everything easier.

Living with these older cars is much easier when we have the resources we have today. Little things like this forum make all the difference in the world. Not to mention the parts. Online sellers took the gun away that the dealers used to hold us up with, esp. in the service dept.
Old 02-21-19, 05:43 PM
robbyboy32
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I would add to the long term cost of ownership, regardless of the year the following: In salt road climates driver doors will rust in the middle above the trim. Alternators. O2 sensors. Exhaust mid-pipe with rear catalytic converter due to exhaust leaks above heat shields. SLT solenoid in the transmission along with transmission pan gasket. Wheel bearings. Front lower control arm bushings. Otherwise regular maintenance and wearable part replacement such as shocks, struts, etc..and the car will run forever.
Old 02-21-19, 06:05 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyboy32
I would add to the long term cost of ownership, regardless of the year the following: In salt road climates driver doors will rust in the middle above the trim. Alternators. O2 sensors. Exhaust mid-pipe with rear catalytic converter due to exhaust leaks above heat shields. SLT solenoid in the transmission along with transmission pan gasket. Wheel bearings. Front lower control arm bushings. Otherwise regular maintenance and wearable part replacement such as shocks, struts, etc..and the car will run forever.
Yes. Absolutely true. It goes without saying to try to avoid northern snow belt cars. Age has the major detrimental affect on our cars without adding on the corrosive salt factor. This demonstrates an advantage of traveling a distance to find a southern or dry climate location for a salt/rust free car unless costs are prohibitive or its just too impractical .

Last edited by Bocatrip; 02-21-19 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Difference between LS430 01-03 and 04+ models