Old 02-24-19 | 09:12 PM
leboose
Rookie

Thanks for that resource!
Old 02-25-19 | 05:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
My absolutely #1, favorite, and ONLY tire shopping source, is RIGHT HERE! ---> Discount Tire Direct . com

They have absolutely AMAZING customer service. (I'm supposedly VERY difficult to please), and they have a wonderful optional "road hazard" policy called "Certificate For Replacement" if you want peace of mind. Note to you...if you're very prone of frequently pickup nails in the tread, have a beginner/teenage girl drivers in the house, or simply if you're a bad driver and are prone to hitting curbs and blowing out tires, or have a crazy EX-gf or EX-bf or EX-mistress who slashes your tires, the "Certificate For Replacement" add on is for you!!! (Only exclusion is irregular tire wear from out of alignment suspension.)

They ship to your favorite tire installer, for free also.

Not once but TWICE in the last ~10 years of me maintaining 5 different cars, I've called to complain about tires not sufficiently achieving their rated mileage. They simply asked me to take pictures of the tread, and pro-rated/credited new tires for me. They never asked for the old tires to be shipped back either.

I don't promote certain companies or vendors very often, but they have completely earned my business, probably for life.

The cherry on top is they frequently are the lowest price seller for the tire as well!
You and I can pick up the product in the distribution center to avoid shipping charges, and since it's in DE, no sales tax. But in my travels in comparing to Costco, it's around the same so we go Costco for the in person road hazard. Tire Rack didn't always have it, I think they were forced to add it to compete.

I once got new tires shipped to a retailer. Said retailer f'd up all 4 brand new rims (separate job). I asked the mgr., how in the world could that tech mess up 4 brand new rims with mar marks all over every one? The tech shouted, "You try mounting those tires yourself, the sidewalls are stiff!" These were 235/40-18's for my Maxima. Again not to promote anyone, Tire Rack took care of it and made it as if this event never happened.

Actually, let me promote a few cos. who do that. Kohler. Moen. Lutron. Shameless plug, yes, but I feel like dealing with these cos. I am in 1945 when the USA won the war. Good American customer service.

But at the end of the day we probably go Costco for the in-person one-stop convenience. And the now everyday 4%, or if a Visa has revolving category rewards, 7%.
Old 02-25-19 | 06:33 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Default Tires, they do matter

The tires are far and away the most important component of any vehicle, period. I have the Michelin Premiers. The previous owner was kind enough to purchase them a few thousand miles prior to me purchasing the car. SWEET!
A brand new set is right at 1000 bucks and makes me smile as it is the same choice I would have made for the car.
Nothing is more important to your safety on the road. All the money we spend on these vehicles, the only thing that connects us to the highway are those 4 contact patches. They had best be good.
I would never consider anything but high quality tires from a well recognized manufacturer. There are many fine manufacturer's of tires, I like Michelin, I'll have a set of wheels and X-ice tires ready for next winter.
Old 02-25-19 | 07:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ricklin
The tires are far and away the most important component of any vehicle, period. I have the Michelin Premiers. The previous owner was kind enough to purchase them a few thousand miles prior to me purchasing the car. SWEET!
A brand new set is right at 1000 bucks and makes me smile as it is the same choice I would have made for the car.
Nothing is more important to your safety on the road. All the money we spend on these vehicles, the only thing that connects us to the highway are those 4 contact patches. They had best be good.
I would never consider anything but high quality tires from a well recognized manufacturer. There are many fine manufacturer's of tires, I like Michelin, I'll have a set of wheels and X-ice tires ready for next winter.
So you're not loving my Rydanz Roadster R02's? The sidewalls say, "Engineered in Europe, Made in China." Would I have bought them, no, I am ok with spending more than $80/ea.

http://www.mavistire.com/tire-brands/Rydanz/?model=Roadster+R02

prices have gone up significantly, $93 now at amazon, used to be $80

Amazon Amazon

Am I ok with $188? I think so, but not $250. Has to do with perceived marginal benefit and marginal cost. My wife has Premiers and I like my buddy find the shot appearance in 30k disappointing. People here say it's ok just like Michelin does, so we accept it. That and chunks of the tire falling off I don't like it. I think it's due to the softness and sunflower oil. No lie, I have pics somewhere, when my wife parks on stones, she has to brush them off as they stick to the tread Literally they will be at 10 o'clock and still adhering. All of this is different than what we learned about tires growing up I suppose...meaning nice fat deep treads that are not missing pieces and no dry rotted appearance is what we were told! Michelin says all of this is ok. Dry rot is something that is all over the internet when it comes to Michelin. With this being said yes, I do plan on getting Pilot Sport AS3+ for the LS430.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (02-26-19)
Old 02-26-19 | 09:19 AM
whutt
Driver School Candidate

I went with Vogues on the stockies and was very surprised, they are quiet and wear well with our heavy cars. Reason why I took a chance on them the first time was Vogue being popular with the Cadillac crowd and making a lot of truck tires. The Cadillac crowd (older models) are very susceptible to noise and I thought the heavier load rating would help - it definitely does. They are no Pole Positions that I have on the track car, but for comfortably racking up miles they rule.

Vogue 225 /55 R17 101W XL SBL
Old 02-26-19 | 09:52 AM
kos
Advanced

Continentals are pretty quiet as well, had the Extreme Contact DWS for awhile on my other car, and I liked them a lot. My 430 has Premier A/S on it currently, no complaints there either.
Old 02-26-19 | 09:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kos
Continentals are pretty quiet as well, had the Extreme Contact DWS for awhile on my other car, and I liked them a lot. My 430 has Premier A/S on it currently, no complaints there either.
My mom had them on her Acura, and somehow got flats. She decided to drive anyway, at least it was funny when she told the story. A guy pulled up next to her, "Lady, your tires are flat!" She just ignored him and picked up my dad, then called AAA who towed the car to Costco, who could not remove the wheels due to the lack of the wheel lock key....
Old 02-26-19 | 11:06 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kos
Continentals are pretty quiet as well, had the Extreme Contact DWS for awhile on my other car, and I liked them a lot.
Using those on the 430 and 1995 Nissan 300ZX - both are good applications.

Old 02-26-19 | 12:35 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ricklin
You are right as rain! Tires and brakes are the two most important safety components on any car I own. I went the Tire Rack route in the past. These days I prefer to have one vendor, one installer. Less to go wrong. I get all my tires from Costco. Michelin might be the more expensive tire, but I have never purchased a bad product from Michelin. Today, I'm driving on Primacy MXM4s which are not top rated, but are excellent in the rain (tons of rain here in Fl), handles well, and are fairly quiet but not as quiet as other brands. I find that on Asphalt they are very quiet, but on cement can rumble quite a bit. It's a trade off and so far after 8,000 miles I'm ok wiith them. I did have the Pirelli P7 A/S plus purchased on Tire Rack, but sent them back after 1,000 miles. Super quiet, but I had no road feel and handling was horrible! For those of us who have experienced the MXV4 Primacys.......we are spoiled. Probably one the best tires Michelin ever made, but are no longer available. Go Figure!

Last edited by Bocatrip; 02-26-19 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-26-19 | 01:06 PM
caverman
Instructor

I went from the Michelin Premier to the Pirelli P7 and I'm just as happy with the P7 as the Michelin I had on my LS. When the time comes I'll probably stick to the P7. I like Michelin and usually spend the extra bucks for the well named brand until I the recent set on my wife's '13 Pilot. This set does not look to be wearing very well. They are wearing evenly, it's just that they only have about 20k miles and they already look like I'll be extremely lucky to get another 20k out of them for a tire that is supposed to go 60k. They are already pretty thin looking in the tread and I'm slightly scared at how they would perform in torrential rain conditions. I rotate them every 7k miles when I do an oil change and had an alignment done when I had them put on. After purchasing approximately 6 different sets of Michelin over several years and several cars, the wear I'm getting out of these is making me look elsewhere for tires. On the flip side, my P7 are doing really good on performance (grandpa performance that is), noise, and wear. That coupled with about a 40% cost savings has just about converted to staying with Pirelli for now. Oh, my son has P7 on his GS300 and although I rarely ride in or drive that car, they seem to be doing well for him. Again, P7 will be going back on that car when the time comes.
Old 02-26-19 | 11:08 PM
aypues
Instructor

I really like my P7 AS+ tires. Very quiet, i love you can’t feel all the bumps and irregularities in the road. Mine are 17’s and also handle well in corners, and driving in the rain was fine too.
Old 02-27-19 | 10:42 AM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Another vote for P7 Plus. I have a set with 49.495 miles on them and they all measure between 3/32 - 4/32.
Overall I have been extremely happy with these and will be buying these again!!
Old 02-27-19 | 11:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTBomB
Another vote for P7 Plus. I have a set with 49.495 miles on them and they all measure between 3/32 - 4/32.
Overall I have been extremely happy with these and will be buying these again!!
I have never owned Pirellis before and would definitely consider! Back in the day P7 was for Porsches....today I guess it's a name/moniker/trademark...
Old 02-27-19 | 12:37 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Well before this set of Pirellis, I always bought Michelin's, after reading a post on here about the P7 Plus, I decided to give them a shot. Great decision and will be replacing this in the spring/summer as they are just about spent.
They have worn very well and even. Would recommend.
Old 02-27-19 | 12:45 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

jumped online to take a look...they do cost more than Pilot Sport AS3+'s. and the tread design really reminds me of the Kumho Ecsta 4 and 4x's that I used on my Maxima...also they are grand touring and not ultra high performance. They do start at 10/32, as do the Pilots. Only Premiers seem to start at 8.5/32....I am ok with 10 instead of the old 11, but I still feel cheated with the 8.5....

Quick Reply: Need help with (quiet) tires