LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help with (quiet) tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 05:11 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

i just got the Continental TrueContact Tours, they are great. I had Bridgestone serenity+ before, These are better.
Old 03-25-19, 05:18 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 255 Likes on 166 Posts

Honest answer: I would get whichever I could get a better price on. Both tires are outstanding and never at any point in driving is any attention brought to either of them.

If I were to split hairs, id say that the Michelins handle impacts better but the Pirellis ride smoother overall, especially at low speeds. It’s not really apples to apples though because I have 17s on my 400 and 18s on my 430.
The following users liked this post:
BCT (03-26-19)
Old 04-23-19, 09:09 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Just giving an update since we were talking about Michelin tires here. This is not on my LS but on my wife's Honda Pilot. As mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, we had dropped $1k on a set of Michelin for our pilot right at 2 years ago. Each time I've been rotating them I've noticed how little tread was still left and they were right at the wear indicators last time. I was not happy with the tread life and it's what led me to put Pirelli P7 on my LS after having Michelins.

Our Pilot has been having a slow leak where the low pressure light would come on after about 2 weeks of being set back to the proper pressure. Figuring it had a nail or something we took it into Discount Tire to check it out. I didn't even mention anything about the tread but the service guy came right back in and told me the tire were pretty much gone. I bought them from Discount Tire initially and when they looked it up it was 22k miles and right at 2 years. These are tire that were supposed to go to 60k. I could tell early on there was no way that we were going to get that kind of mileage out of them. They claimed it as warranty and 30 minutes later we had a new set of Yokahoma on the car. The tread is a 1000% better and I feel much safer with my wife and kids in the car now. I did have to pay $375 for the pro-rated difference but I felt that wasn't too bad for 2 years of usage.

As much as I used to like Michelin, it will probably be a while if ever that I spend the extra money to buy them again. Lately I've had better luck with other brands for less money. I'm actually really happy with my Pirelli P7 I have on my LS and I saved close to $400 over going with Michelin.
Old 04-24-19, 06:05 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 284 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
Just giving an update since we were talking about Michelin tires here. This is not on my LS but on my wife's Honda Pilot. As mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, we had dropped $1k on a set of Michelin for our pilot right at 2 years ago. Each time I've been rotating them I've noticed how little tread was still left and they were right at the wear indicators last time. I was not happy with the tread life and it's what led me to put Pirelli P7 on my LS after having Michelins.

Our Pilot has been having a slow leak where the low pressure light would come on after about 2 weeks of being set back to the proper pressure. Figuring it had a nail or something we took it into Discount Tire to check it out. I didn't even mention anything about the tread but the service guy came right back in and told me the tire were pretty much gone. I bought them from Discount Tire initially and when they looked it up it was 22k miles and right at 2 years. These are tire that were supposed to go to 60k. I could tell early on there was no way that we were going to get that kind of mileage out of them. They claimed it as warranty and 30 minutes later we had a new set of Yokahoma on the car. The tread is a 1000% better and I feel much safer with my wife and kids in the car now. I did have to pay $375 for the pro-rated difference but I felt that wasn't too bad for 2 years of usage.

As much as I used to like Michelin, it will probably be a while if ever that I spend the extra money to buy them again. Lately I've had better luck with other brands for less money. I'm actually really happy with my Pirelli P7 I have on my LS and I saved close to $400 over going with Michelin.
Which Michelin’s did you have? Premiers?
Old 04-24-19, 06:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My concern is we have to forget everything that makes sense. OK. So the Premiers look nearly bald at 35k, the dealer said they need to be replaced. Give Michelin the benefit of the doubt and ignore. Our problem is we have a state safety inspection and they are not going to simply accept that Michelin started at 8.5/32, and say these are good when new and good when worn, they will follow the law. So if we fail a safety inspection I would hope Michelin replaces under warranty. But I'm starting to feel if a normal tire starts at 11/32, and some skim now and only give 10 or 10.5, we must be dummies to accept 8.5/32 when new and to look shot at 30k, regardless of warranty. Go an look at online reviews, the tire rates excellently on everything, EXCEPT treadwear.
Old 04-24-19, 06:15 AM
caverman
Instructor

Yes, I had the Premiers.

Take this as you want but the guy at Discount Tire said they had seen several Premiers wear prematurely like this and they quit recommending them. He said the Michelin Defender is supposed to be the replacement with a different compound of tire and is supposed to last longer. He gave me the choice between the Yokahama or Michelin Defender but the Michelin were $35 more per tire over the Yokahama and I have a bad taste for Michelin at the moment.
Old 04-24-19, 06:25 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My concern is we have to forget everything that makes sense. OK. So the Premiers look nearly bald at 35k, the dealer said they need to be replaced. Give Michelin the benefit of the doubt and ignore. Our problem is we have a state safety inspection and they are not going to simply accept that Michelin started at 8.5/32, and say these are good when new and good when worn, they will follow the law. So if we fail a safety inspection I would hope Michelin replaces under warranty. But I'm starting to feel if a normal tire starts at 11/32, and some skim now and only give 10 or 10.5, we must be dummies to accept 8.5/32 when new and to look shot at 30k, regardless of warranty. Go an look at online reviews, the tire rates excellently on everything, EXCEPT treadwear.
Michelin can say what they want, just like Lexus says you never have to change the transmission oil. There is a good chance that they could be right but I don't want to be the one holding the bag when the transmission goes out and they won't replace it. Common sense to me says that when your tread is down to the wear indicators there is virtually no where for water to flow way, especially at highway speeds with a down pour. I don't need to put the safety of my family at risk just because they say the low tread is normal and it should perform like a tire that has plenty of tread. There are other tires that are just as good with much better tread life and for less money.
Old 04-24-19, 07:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Michelin can say what they want, just like Lexus says you never have to change the transmission oil. There is a good chance that they could be right but I don't want to be the one holding the bag when the transmission goes out and they won't replace it. Common sense to me says that when your tread is down to the wear indicators there is virtually no where for water to flow way, especially at highway speeds with a down pour. I don't need to put the safety of my family at risk just because they say the low tread is normal and it should perform like a tire that has plenty of tread. There are other tires that are just as good with much better tread life and for less money.
Michelin aren't exactly saints. They are a premium brand who charges much more for the same. They have had the reputation of selling expensive tires that dry rot, which they deny. They say the dry rot is harmless. Then, they have a mass recall and only certain tires are recalled.

http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/10000...north-america/

When I went to the BMW event, the cars had Pilot Sport 4S on them. I heard one of the staff say that BMW is switching to Continental, but that's hearsay...