LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replacing Air Suspension shocks with non Air shock absorbers -Direct fits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 12:55 AM
Jonx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Air Suspension shocks with non Air shock absorbers -Direct fits?

It looks like my 2002 LS430 is in near danger of sitting still as the mechanic I have taken it to is is unable to figure out whether the problem is due to the air shock absorbers or whether it’s due to the air compressor as his diagnostic equipment doesn’t work with this particular car.
The choices I have at this point in time are to tow it elsewhere/continue to find a different mechanic which would probably take a long time or whether I should just replace the air shocks with the non air shocks which was a suggestion I saw on this forum.

However which shock absorbers would you go for? Someone mentioned the shock absorbers of the Land Cruiser which apparently would be a direct fit however I’m not sure if this is entirely correct.

Would any other car models shock absorbers fit directly into the LS430?

Any thoughts on this from others?

What I have understood so far is that replacement with the conventional shocks would be far less hassle in the long term compared to continuing to fix the Air shocks/suspension which might mean fixing one thing after another.
Old 02-28-19, 12:21 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

Arnott, a ClubLexus forum sponsor, makes aftermarket replacement air shocks for the LS430. I would consider them if I was needing new shocks. I don't know about the Land Cruiser air shocks, you'll need someone to get a hold of them and take good measurements. I strongly suspect you won't find any other car's air shocks to be a direct fit.

Also, take your car to a shop with the Toyota diagnostic software (called TechStream). Otherwise you could end up throwing lots of cash at the completely wrong parts.

Everything else related to air shocks has been discussed ad nauseum on these forums - do a search and you'll find lots of info on replacing the air shocks. Several people have converted their air systems to non-air and wrote all about it already.
Old 04-17-20, 04:50 PM
wadeduncan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Shocks

My GX470 air shocks went out last week also. Don’t know whether to take it to a dealer for replacement or outside dealer. Anyone have a suggestion on outside the dealership?
Old 05-03-20, 08:44 AM
dinnerzone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arnott has aftermarket air struts on Rockauto, about $600 for the fronts and $850 for the rear.

However if you're not attached to the air ride, converting your car to Coil spring suspension is very much a direct-fit replacement.

I'm currently in the process of doing the same to my '04 UL. KYB Excel-G struts, I chose RSR Down springs because I wanted to lower my car about 1" to make the wheels flush, and a bunch of KYB mounting hardware. Total cost of parts was $850, the price of a single rear Arnott strut. You could replace them yourself over the weekend, but Im sure a shop wouldn't mind helping you either.

My local Toyota shop (non-dealer) quoted me $800 for the install, and that's mainly due to the rear seat taking a bit of extra time to remove with the electronics in it. so about $1600 total if you didnt want to touch it.

Just my two cents on the matter, most people have enjoyed the swap noting they feel more confident in the bends and such. Hope this information is helpful!
The following users liked this post:
Duck05 (05-04-20)
Old 05-04-20, 04:21 PM
eterdharma
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dinnerzone
Arnott has aftermarket air struts on Rockauto, about $600 for the fronts and $850 for the rear.

However if you're not attached to the air ride, converting your car to Coil spring suspension is very much a direct-fit replacement.

I'm currently in the process of doing the same to my '04 UL. KYB Excel-G struts, I chose RSR Down springs because I wanted to lower my car about 1" to make the wheels flush, and a bunch of KYB mounting hardware. Total cost of parts was $850, the price of a single rear Arnott strut. You could replace them yourself over the weekend, but Im sure a shop wouldn't mind helping you either.

My local Toyota shop (non-dealer) quoted me $800 for the install, and that's mainly due to the rear seat taking a bit of extra time to remove with the electronics in it. so about $1600 total if you didnt want to touch it.

Just my two cents on the matter, most people have enjoyed the swap noting they feel more confident in the bends and such. Hope this information is helpful!
I did this exact swap from stock air ride to KYB struts with RSR dropping springs a few months ago in about 4 hours on my 2005 UL ... did front and back ... worth the money in my opinion...

Picture after the drop
Old 05-04-20, 04:26 PM
dinnerzone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eterdharma
I did this exact swap from stock air ride to KYB struts with RSR dropping springs a few months ago in about 4 hours on my 2005 UL ... did front and back ... worth the money in my opinion...

Picture after the drop
Hey that looks great! Flint mica gang lmao
Old 05-04-20, 06:23 PM
Amaterasu1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dinnerzone
Hey that looks great! Flint mica gang lmao
How's the ride compared to the air suspension? That's my biggest fear. I want the smoothest most comfortable ride I can get out of the best luxury sedan on this here planet!
Old 05-04-20, 06:45 PM
eterdharma
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Amaterasu1
How's the ride compared to the air suspension? That's my biggest fear. I want the smoothest most comfortable ride I can get out of the best luxury sedan on this here planet!
Dropping springs and struts is nowhere near the OE air ride setup. You will need to invest in OE replacement air ride struts if you want that smooth luxury ride your after. Just don’t start crying when your paying upwards of $800 for one OE air strut not including installation. You can easily pass $5,000 for the replacement of 4 air ride struts (not including any other possibly damaged pieces like the ride height sensors). The arnott aftermarket air ride struts don’t have suspension dampeners either so you loose on setting change between sport and normal.

its difficult to spend half of a cars value on 4 struts being the car is 15 years old. If it was under 10 years I’d buy the OE air ride and install it.

I still love my LS430 this is my 6th LS and I searched for quite a while to get a UL with black interior. I look at it from the angle if I was to get rear ended tomorrow and the car is not fixable what would my insurance company pay out. I rather take that payout and invest it in another LS430 and walk away from the one I have than have to spend time parting out the crashed LS430 just to make back money on hefty investments like $5k in air ride struts. Different strokes for different folks though.

I would rate the aftermarket KYB struts and RSR dropping springs at a 8 with one being the worse and 10 being the best.
Amaterasu1 (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 06:03 AM
Amaterasu1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dropping springs and struts is nowhere near the OE air ride setup. You will need to invest in OE replacement air ride struts if you want that smooth luxury ride your after. Just don’t start crying when your paying upwards of $800 for one OE air strut not including installation. You can easily pass $5,000 for the replacement of 4 air ride struts (not including any other possibly damaged pieces like the ride height sensors). The arnott aftermarket air ride struts don’t have suspension dampeners either so you loose on setting change between sport and normal.

its difficult to spend half of a cars value on 4 struts being the car is 15 years old. If it was under 10 years I’d buy the OE air ride and install it.

I still love my LS430 this is my 6th LS and I searched for quite a while to get a UL with black interior. I look at it from the angle if I was to get rear ended tomorrow and the car is not fixable what would my insurance company pay out. I rather take that payout and invest it in another LS430 and walk away from the one I have than have to spend time parting out the crashed LS430 just to make back money on hefty investments like $5k in air ride struts. Different strokes for different folks though.

I would rate the aftermarket KYB struts and RSR dropping springs at a 8 with one being the worse and 10 being the best.
Ok great! That settles it. I won't be investing that kind of money so I agree with you. Thanks for the detailed reply bro!!
Old 05-05-20, 01:07 PM
EliteLexus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just swapped one of my leaking air struts with a used one and it is slightly better but still rides not that great. I may be ripping out my air ride and doing coil over if I plan to keep the car. I sure hate to bastardize my UL though but the cost to keep it on this age car doesn't make sense.
Amaterasu1 (05-05-20)
Old 05-06-20, 07:12 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

Picture after the drop
I just ordered the same parts, the rear is sitting low and rides rough. I'm can't wait to do the swap and restore the ride quality.

Amaterasu1 (05-07-20)