LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Forced Induction Enquiry

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 08:09 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 415 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian@FI
I think what will happen is I'll dump the idea, which is a shame as I'll also probably dump the car as as result, I love it, but the lack of boogie is getting tedious.
The mechanic has got back to me with a price of $15K (USD10.5) broken down like so;

$3K ECU (Haltech 2500 Elite)
$5K turbo and custom manifold
$1K exhaust
$5K labour for install and tune

That's isn't all the costs, just the main big parts and labour components, I know there's a little fat built into that and I'm assuming it's to cover any unknown time spent sorting bugs.
The main reason I won't go ahead isn't the cost, it's the fact that everyone I talk to, on this forum or selling me the parts isn't motivated to see the project go ahead and I really don't want to be working with people who don't want to do their job or even sound enthusiastic to sell you products.

Such a shame. The project idea isn't dead, but unless I can find someone eager to do it, I don't think I'll go ahead

I told my mechanic and he laughed and said it's perhaps 5hp at best and could actually make 0 difference, it may even mess some things up, he's not a man of many words, but he's 55 and works on GT3 racers and absolutely knows his stuff, he's also keen to sell me services, but honest enough to tell me when he thinks I'll see no solution. He may be wrong, but I'll take his advice.
Before informing you, no doubt your mechanic read the before and after engine dyno test results contained in my post (link above) which corroborate much higher increases

Old 03-02-19, 05:49 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

My friend supercharged his ls430 for around $7000 club lexus is not the place to talk about doing anything performance oriented to the ls430 most people have 0 knowledge or will tell you to leave it stock.

Go to a tundra forum and look at all the stuff they do go the 2uz that will give you your answers if you are serious about it and want help PM me and I have no problem helping you out.
Old 03-02-19, 12:34 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
My friend supercharged his ls430 for around $7000 club lexus is not the place to talk about doing anything performance oriented to the ls430 most people have 0 knowledge or will tell you to leave it stock.
Perhaps you can get your friend to share useful information. Or if you know anything or can collect any information, you are more than welcome to share it here. The reason performance-enhancing information isn't on these forums is because people who know something about the subject don't share their knowledge - there have been many threads on this topic in the past and ample opportunity for anyone with knowledge to share it.

You're probably right that most people here aren't highly experienced in performance tuning, so obviously they cannot contribute information they do not know.
Old 03-04-19, 02:30 PM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Dude here is what you do (I’ve thought about doing this but i already have a 430 and a 1998 400 so it’s gotta wait) — you buy a pre-VVTi LS400. Years 90-97 for dirt cheap. There are plenty of people online who have turbo’d the 1UZ, and that thing is STOUT. Keep it dead stock, old man looking on the outside, bonus points for an old man tan Gold on beige LS. Destroy every car you line up next to, unexpectedly. Profit.
I really want to leave the original 3UZ in it, becuase in my country and especially in my state, the issues I'd have if I changed an engine would be massive. If I were going that route I'd drop in a stock LSA as they are used locally here (Holden Commodore), they are cheap, similarly sized and reliable and powerful. It's unfortunate but Melbourne Australia is THE WORST place in the world for auto modifications and policing of them, the cops are very aware of modifications look and sound like, the fines are huge and the enforcement is epic. It's a horrible place for car lovers. Last week I got a speeding fine for 4km/h (2.5mph) over the limit in an 80km/h (50mph) zone that was half my net weekly wage. The state (Victoria) makes a lot of money from car guys, it's the only bad thing about Victoria which otherwise is the greatest part of the world to live in.

Originally Posted by Trilkb
Go find a e55
I actually had one a while back, what a money pit that was due to electronic issues. Otherwise a nice car.
Again, in Australia an E55 is A LOT more expensive than an LS430 to buy and especially to maintain. For example, a new E63 is $200,000.

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Before informing you, no doubt your mechanic read the before and after engine dyno test results contained in my post (link above) which corroborate much higher increases
With all due respect, I doubt he's flicking through Lexus forums for information and I don't doubt your findings, but I cannot pour $1200 (in my money) into a modification that everyone who has a reason to sell me a service is actively steering me away from (notice my car pun there! )

Go to a tundra forum and look at all the stuff they do go the 2uz that will give you your answers if you are serious about it and want help PM me and I have no problem helping you out.
It would be great if he documented it for people like me to learn from. This is the problem I'm finding searching for information, it's either incomplete, hypothetical or doesn't make sense. A well documented forced induction thread would absolutely be very valuable here, imo it's far more interesting than oversized wheels and such.

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Perhaps you can get your friend to share useful information. Or if you know anything or can collect any information, you are more than welcome to share it here. The reason performance-enhancing information isn't on these forums is because people who know something about the subject don't share their knowledge - there have been many threads on this topic in the past and ample opportunity for anyone with knowledge to share it.
You're probably right that most people here aren't highly experienced in performance tuning, so obviously they cannot contribute information they do not know.
This. Please ask him to share his process to a reliable forced induction solution, there'd be a few people willing to follow and thousands interested.
Old 03-04-19, 09:55 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

old vid but the shop mentioned in the comments is still around maybe reach out to them...
Old 03-05-19, 01:18 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Damian@FI
I really want to leave the original 3UZ in it, becuase in my country and especially in my state, the issues I'd have if I changed an engine would be massive. If I were going that route I'd drop in a stock LSA as they are used locally here (Holden Commodore), they are cheap, similarly sized and reliable and powerful. It's unfortunate but Melbourne Australia is THE WORST place in the world for auto modifications and policing of them, the cops are very aware of modifications look and sound like, the fines are huge and the enforcement is epic. It's a horrible place for car lovers. Last week I got a speeding fine for 4km/h (2.5mph) over the limit in an 80km/h (50mph) zone that was half my net weekly wage. The state (Victoria) makes a lot of money from car guys, it's the only bad thing about Victoria which otherwise is the greatest part of the world to live in.

I actually had one a while back, what a money pit that was due to electronic issues. Otherwise a nice car.
Again, in Australia an E55 is A LOT more expensive than an LS430 to buy and especially to maintain. For example, a new E63 is $200,000.

With all due respect, I doubt he's flicking through Lexus forums for information and I don't doubt your findings, but I cannot pour $1200 (in my money) into a modification that everyone who has a reason to sell me a service is actively steering me away from (notice my car pun there! )

It would be great if he documented it for people like me to learn from. This is the problem I'm finding searching for information, it's either incomplete, hypothetical or doesn't make sense. A well documented forced induction thread would absolutely be very valuable here, imo it's far more interesting than oversized wheels and such.

This. Please ask him to share his process to a reliable forced induction solution, there'd be a few people willing to follow and thousands interested.
With all due respect to illustrious Mechanic: Engage brain before putting mouth into gear" .

As for OP.... refrain from quoting people who are uninformed..who, as you say, didn't bother to read the extrude hone post, yet nonetheless elected to respond vis-a-vis you... Since your mechanic does not choose to read the post he disputes therefore you must.

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-05-19 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 05:06 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
With all due respect to illustrious Mechanic: Engage brain before putting mouth into gear" .

As for OP.... refrain from quoting people who are uninformed..who, as you say, didn't bother to read the extrude hone post, yet nonetheless elected to respond vis-a-vis you... Since your mechanic does not choose to read the post he disputes therefore you must.
Your dyno charts for your post thingy are off and dont make sense I asked two very reputable speed shops to take a look at them. Also the op is asking about forced induction.

To OP please go to the tundra forums and read up on the trd super charger or the eaton m180 both are super common and well documented in the UZ community.

You will need an intake manifold adapter plate for a supercharger or you could do a rear mount turbo. To get the 400 hp you desire you will need to upgrade the valve body in the trans that is $600ish for the part then another $700-$1200 for labor you can run up to 7-9 psi on the stock ecu safely I believe. Look at big bad black gs and his build thread for ideas and such he was running 14-15 psi I think. The trd supercharged 2uz wrist pins let go at 12psi so you could run 8psi safely all day. 8psi would be about 360hp 380 ftlbs at the crank.

For a ecu get this
https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/ME-map-ecu3

A rear mount turbo would be way easier and involve the least amount of work just my personal opinion.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 03-05-19 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 04:15 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Your dyno charts for your post thingy are off and dont make sense I asked two very reputable speed shops to take a look at them. Also the op is asking about forced induction.

To OP please go to the tundra forums and read up on the trd super charger or the eaton m180 both are super common and well documented in the UZ community.

You will need an intake manifold adapter plate for a supercharger or you could do a rear mount turbo. To get the 400 hp you desire you will need to upgrade the valve body in the trans that is $600ish for the part then another $700-$1200 for labor you can run up to 7-9 psi on the stock ecu safely I believe. Look at big bad black gs and his build thread for ideas and such he was running 14-15 psi I think. The trd supercharged 2uz wrist pins let go at 12psi so you could run 8psi safely all day. 8psi would be about 360hp 380 ftlbs at the crank.

For a ecu get this
https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/ME-map-ecu3

A rear mount turbo would be way easier and involve the least amount of work just my personal opinion.
Another expert?

What is the name of the reputable speed shop? (Was the adjective "reputable" necessary to convince us?)

Exactly what words were spoken by said proprietor as to the dyno tests?

For that matter, how many, if any, dyno tests have they performed on an LS400? (1UZ-FE) or LS430 (3UZ-FE) which supports his opinion?

Please provide the speed shops 1UZ-FE or 3UZ-FE dyno test charts along with your response.

Old 03-07-19, 02:11 PM
wpatriot80
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I want to say that you @Damian@FI can consider yourself lucky cos you're located in AUS! Seems like folks over there have lots of knowledge about UZ engines and you even have companies making parts for them. I have belief that boosting an LS is possible!! I have done some research myself even though I probably wont ever have the funds to make it.

First I have to mention that there seems to be some knowledge about supercharging in the GS400/430 owners community. Even this forums GS section has few somewhat active threads about it so go check em out. The most documented build was @badblackgs 's build running on stock ecu which eventually grenaded because of the stock ring gap wasn't enough clearance for boost (needless to say this problem could be easily solved).

So the biggest problem is the stock ECU which can't be altered. The piggyback MAPECU 3 seems to be a legit choice (?) Maybe the best solution I could think of would be a Haltech (or similar) standalone and the LS's stock ecu managing the a650e transmission. There is a UZ-swap wizard in New Zealand who knows about these type of solutions. I'd say contact him and or atleast check out his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSn...jOh1eUIRUusqiA

Then there is the mechanical side of things. Obviously the stock conrods need to go and the 10.5 compression could be lower (not necessarily?). There is lot of H-beam rods around. One company in Poland made those in custom lengths for desired compression. I don't know what the pistons can handle but knowing Toyota's quality I'd believe they are pretty tough.

For the blower I'd choose an Eaton M112 and in Australia I believe you can find someone to make a manifold for it (or selling an already made one). Then ofcourse headers are really good improvement for power output even in NA form.

Woah that's a lot of text but here's just some thoughts written down whilst I was sipping some beer lol.
Old 03-21-19, 09:31 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

found this thread, good read and addresses some of your question...of course you got some damn good replies in this thread too
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rformance.html