Forced Induction Enquiry

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 04:10 PM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Forced Induction Enquiry

Hey guys,

For my job I drive a lot of cars, usally supercars, I own a few different much faster cars as well, so whilst I'm still in love with my LS and have been for over 10 years and can't find any reason to upgrade other than a want for more power, about 400hp would satisfy me.

I've looked at and driven the newer models (460, 600 etc.) and cannot find any increase in performance, build quality or equipment to justify the extra cost to upgrade.
So, I'm seriously looking to go turbo or supercharged.

I've looked at a crate engine, but it seems (unless I'm wrong) that this will be a significantly more costly way to get to around 400hp.
I looked at an LS, a 2JZ and a Barra -for those that aren't aware, this is an amazing 6 cylinder available cheap in Australia that rivals the 2JZ, they easily make 400hp and regularly, cheaply, make 800+ they're silky smooth too, but they are no 3UZ, just like the 2JZ isn't either.

So, again, unless I'm mistaken, the most efficient way to get close to 400hp for the least amount of cash is to turbo or SC the 3UZ that's in it.
My questions are;
1. Is this going to be able to be done for around $5K? Reliably.
2. Can it all be done in a month so I'm not without the car for longer than I absolutely have to be.

Or am I dreaming and headed and should I just suck it up and finally buy something that's faster than my LS (in the 4 second 0-100 range) with similar build and equipment?

I have searched for clues but it seems the only turbo kits are VERY expensive, or there seems to be working examples on YouTube etc. with no information about how they achieved the result.

Really appreciate any advice. I would really like to make a reliable 400 in my LS and I'm keen to document the whole thing in a video for my YouTube channel if it's a viable thing to do, I think it would be cool to have what I already have with the power I want.
Old 02-28-19, 06:27 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking for a fast lux sedan? Or something fast on the weekends? I love the 09+ CTSv's for good power stock, great aftermarket, and good price point. I'm looking for a LS cause I have a truck and a fast-ish car and want a super reliable luxury sedan to daily.

Anytime you modify it'll effect reliability, so id reccomend that you have atleast 1 reliable vehicle that you don't have to think about...
Old 02-28-19, 07:14 PM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Originally Posted by whiteSc3
Are you looking for a fast lux sedan? Or something fast on the weekends? I love the 09+ CTSv's for good power stock, great aftermarket, and good price point. I'm looking for a LS cause I have a truck and a fast-ish car and want a super reliable luxury sedan to daily.

Anytime you modify it'll effect reliability, so id reccomend that you have atleast 1 reliable vehicle that you don't have to think about...

A fast-ish daily. I say fast-ish because everyone's idea of what's fast is different. To me, a daily with a 0-100 time of less than 5 seconds is fast (for a daily), fast enough imo.
I like the LS, I just am not used to this kind of power to weight and it feels very, very sluggish. I don't expect to turn it into a Tesla, but a little more, say 100 more horsies would make it the perfect car, not too expensive, not too unreliable, not too much power, juuuuuust Goldilocks.
Old 02-28-19, 07:36 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think what you are talking about "could" be done w an LS430 platform. Has it been done....don't know. For an extra 100hp I think the motor would take it. Small amount of boost w a good conservative tune.....would be perfect. Easiest would probably be a roots style blower on top of the engine. Probably more than 5k once it's said and done. TT would be amazing but probably cost prohibitive.
Old 02-28-19, 07:48 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First are you talking mph or kph? Either way it'll take a bit more than 400hp and $5k to get it in that range. Plus you'll have to upgrade the rear end, engine management, fuel, etc, etc..

Just my .02
Old 02-28-19, 08:15 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian@FI
Hey guys,

For my job I drive a lot of cars, usally supercars, I own a few different much faster cars as well, so whilst I'm still in love with my LS and have been for over 10 years and can't find any reason to upgrade other than a want for more power, about 400hp would satisfy me.

I've looked at and driven the newer models (460, 600 etc.) and cannot find any increase in performance, build quality or equipment to justify the extra cost to upgrade.
So, I'm seriously looking to go turbo or supercharged.

I've looked at a crate engine, but it seems (unless I'm wrong) that this will be a significantly more costly way to get to around 400hp.
I looked at an LS, a 2JZ and a Barra -for those that aren't aware, this is an amazing 6 cylinder available cheap in Australia that rivals the 2JZ, they easily make 400hp and regularly, cheaply, make 800+ they're silky smooth too, but they are no 3UZ, just like the 2JZ isn't either.

So, again, unless I'm mistaken, the most efficient way to get close to 400hp for the least amount of cash is to turbo or SC the 3UZ that's in it.
My questions are;
1. Is this going to be able to be done for around $5K? Reliably.
2. Can it all be done in a month so I'm not without the car for longer than I absolutely have to be.

Or am I dreaming and headed and should I just suck it up and finally buy something that's faster than my LS (in the 4 second 0-100 range) with similar build and equipment?

I have searched for clues but it seems the only turbo kits are VERY expensive, or there seems to be working examples on YouTube etc. with no information about how they achieved the result.

Really appreciate any advice. I would really like to make a reliable 400 in my LS and I'm keen to document the whole thing in a video for my YouTube channel if it's a viable thing to do, I think it would be cool to have what I already have with the power I want.
Extrude hone your intake manifold for 20-25 rear wheel HP and foot pounds of torque.

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/846076-1998-2000-ls400-2001-2006-ls430-intake-manifold-extrude-hone.html

Old 02-28-19, 09:23 PM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
I think what you are talking about "could" be done w an LS430 platform. Has it been done....don't know. For an extra 100hp I think the motor would take it. Small amount of boost w a good conservative tune.....would be perfect. Easiest would probably be a roots style blower on top of the engine. Probably more than 5k once it's said and done. TT would be amazing but probably cost prohibitive.
My mechanic has said a supercharger will cost more than a turbo setup and a twin turbo setup will be easier than a single.
I don't mind either option, there are pros and cons from a driving perspective, the SC will deliver very linear additional torque which is nice, the turbo's will be more efficient and allow for more mods in the future if I decide to go that way (highly doubtful).

Originally Posted by whiteSc3
First are you talking mph or kph? Either way it'll take a bit more than 400hp and $5k to get it in that range. Plus you'll have to upgrade the rear end, engine management, fuel, etc, etc..
Oh of course KPH, so 0-60mph in 5 seconds (roughly) would be the target, low 5's would be good. It's a 6 second car now, so I don't think that's asking too much. A little better rubber, perhaps slightly wider, with 100hp more, should be low 5 seconds?
Fuel pump is an issue?

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Extrude hone your intake manifold for 20-25 rear wheel HP and foot pounds of torque.
Yeah, that's interesting, but I'm after more than 25hp, that will feel nice, but I know a month later I'll want the other 75hp at least.

I'm not a mechanic as you can probably tell, I'm not even interested in it much tbh, I prefer to do the driving.
Love the LS, I just can't think of anything else to replace it even vaguely in that price range. The next step up is a 460 which is not better imo, the 600hl's are nice but again not any faster and 5 times the cost of the 430 with higher maintenance costs to boot.
So I'm stuck with the LS and $10K is my absolute limit for all mods to achieve the low 5 second 0-60 (0-100kph) performance area I'm after.

Is there a list we should be putting together to understand what to do and what each part will cost?
For a turbo setup is it just the fabrication of the manifold, turbo, inter-cooler, piping and ECU?
Old 02-28-19, 09:39 PM
Vantage007
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 50 Posts

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I think I can relate a bit. I'm an editor for a top auto magazine in Canada, and my job involves spending week after week with every new car on the road. I have a tester about 46-47 weeks of the year, and they're all the latest from basic economy cars to high end luxury and supercars. For context, just last fall I had a month where I had the McLaren 720S, Acura NSX, Audi R8 Spyder and Lamborghini Aventador S Roadster all back to back. I also own a couple of summer toys that are listed in my sig below.

At the end of the day, getting back into my LS430 not only is a great palate cleanser, but it's a sensational and well-engineered daily driver. It's not the fastest thing around, but at nearly 300 horsepower and 23+ MPG with interior materials and quality rivalling today's best cars, I really don't see myself craving more. I really think the LS430 is best left alone, because trying to do an engine swap or add forced induction to your 3UZ is just going to compromise the engineering that has gone into the car to begin with.
The following users liked this post:
StanVanDam (03-02-19)
Old 02-28-19, 09:58 PM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vantage007
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I think I can relate a bit. I'm an editor for a top auto magazine in Canada, and my job involves spending week after week with every new car on the road. I have a tester about 46-47 weeks of the year, and they're all the latest from basic economy cars to high end luxury and supercars. For context, just last fall I had a month where I had the McLaren 720S, Acura NSX, Audi R8 Spyder and Lamborghini Aventador S Roadster all back to back. I also own a couple of summer toys that are listed in my sig below.

At the end of the day, getting back into my LS430 not only is a great palate cleanser, but it's a sensational and well-engineered daily driver. It's not the fastest thing around, but at nearly 300 horsepower and 23+ MPG with interior materials and quality rivalling today's best cars, I really don't see myself craving more. I really think the LS430 is best left alone, because trying to do an engine swap or add forced induction to your 3UZ is just going to compromise the engineering that has gone into the car to begin with.

That's definitely not the answer I was looking for, but perhaps a good bit of advice, albeit sobering
I have this:
and this:
in my garage, so they are toys I can use on the weekend, but the LS is a daily I really do enjoy, for the reasons you stated, it's just a little difficult (frustrating) having to deal with the almost 300hp (probably 250 now with age) instead of 400 which would really perk it up imo. Traction certainly isn't an issue the way I have the car setup (Michelin Sport 4s and BC Racing coilovers), brakes are good too.

I have spoken to my mechanic who's interested, but a little tentative, I've also spoken to Haltech and a fabricator.
The project should be around AU$10K (US$7K), which isn't too bad for good components assembled properly.
Old 03-01-19, 09:00 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have to agree with Vantage007, the LS430 simply isn’t a platform that’s performance oriented. Having owned and own fast cars(and I was an Automotive photojournalist for Vette, GM High Tech Performance; etc. for a decade) I simply want to cruise the LS. I may road or open road race other vehicles but there simply isn’t an “urge” to go fast or modify this vehicle. What it does afford is the opportunity to drive a comfortable, reliable and cheap platform so I can spend the savings building another project & road racing when I get the itch. Although I owned two CTS-V wagons(manual transmission) that chassis isn’t built from the factory to do what a C6/C7 Z06 will without upgrades to the suspension and beyond.
Old 03-01-19, 12:18 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

Even the super rare Tom's supercharger only added a handful of horsepower (354 total). The kit was super expensive in Japan, booked out at 18 hours install time, and required an upgraded exhaust and ECU tuning to reach it's full potential. I've only ever seen one used kit for sale by itself and one car that had it installed in all my time of trolling Yahoo Auctions Japan.

The most feasible upgrade would be to swap in a 2JZ motor. Even to get that done properly, I'm sure you're easily over $10k after sourcing a motor, getting it worked up with fresh everything, and then figuring out the wiring, ECU, etc.
Old 03-01-19, 02:10 PM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

While I can definitely appreciate the want to go FI on a 430, I just don't think it's feasible / worth the time, money, and effort involved in doing so.
I'm skeptical on the extrude honing method as well, not worth the money there either.
Old 03-01-19, 05:07 PM
Damian@FI
Rookie

I think what will happen is I'll dump the idea, which is a shame as I'll also probably dump the car as as result, I love it, but the lack of boogie is getting tedious.
The mechanic has got back to me with a price of $15K (USD10.5) broken down like so;

$3K ECU (Haltech 2500 Elite)
$5K turbo and custom manifold
$1K exhaust
$5K labour for install and tune

That's isn't all the costs, just the main big parts and labour components, I know there's a little fat built into that and I'm assuming it's to cover any unknown time spent sorting bugs.
The main reason I won't go ahead isn't the cost, it's the fact that everyone I talk to, on this forum or selling me the parts isn't motivated to see the project go ahead and I really don't want to be working with people who don't want to do their job or even sound enthusiastic to sell you products.

Such a shame. The project idea isn't dead, but unless I can find someone eager to do it, I don't think I'll go ahead

Originally Posted by kos
I'm skeptical on the extrude honing method as well, not worth the money there either.
I told my mechanic and he laughed and said it's perhaps 5hp at best and could actually make 0 difference, it may even mess some things up, he's not a man of many words, but he's 55 and works on GT3 racers and absolutely knows his stuff, he's also keen to sell me services, but honest enough to tell me when he thinks I'll see no solution. He may be wrong, but I'll take his advice.
Old 03-01-19, 05:15 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Dude here is what you do (I’ve thought about doing this but i already have a 430 and a 1998 400 so it’s gotta wait) — you buy a pre-VVTi LS400. Years 90-97 for dirt cheap. There are plenty of people online who have turbo’d the 1UZ, and that thing is STOUT. Keep it dead stock, old man looking on the outside, bonus points for an old man tan Gold on beige LS. Destroy every car you line up next to, unexpectedly. Profit.
Old 03-01-19, 06:34 PM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Go find a e55

Quick Reply: Forced Induction Enquiry