AC not turning on - NO issue with Climate Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 07:17 PM
jayalaba
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry AC not turning on - NO issue with Climate Control Unit

Hello all,
My AC suddenly stopped and not turning on, (Buttons are not responding) Nothing at all. I ordered climate control and no luck with new one. All lights are in panel working. Checked all fuses and all are good. Any place or relay or part to check? Pleas guide or Advice. Thanks
Old 03-06-19, 07:43 PM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Best to see if it still has refrigerant in it. If the low pressure switch is triggered it won't work. I'd start there first, then if it has refrigerant I'd take the belt off to make sure the compressor isn't locked up. From there look for fuses. After that you're looking at a failed sensor if all else checks out.
The following users liked this post:
jayalaba (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 08:05 PM
jayalaba
Driver School Candidate

Hello Trilkb, The refrigerant is good. I have the meter and looks okay (Green). Are you saying, when low refrigerant the climate control button will not work at all? New to me. I thought the AC will work but we will not cold air.. Thank you. I will keep you update about the compressor lock.
Old 03-16-19, 06:20 AM
z17112
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm assuming your car is the same as most cars. You state no issue with climate control but when you wrote

"I have the meter and looks okay (Green)"

I am confused. Assuming your meter is not AC gauges....check a common occurrence:

When refrigerant is low the pressure in the system is low.

When pressure in the system is low, the low pressure cutoff switch will not allow the AC compressor clutch to engage. The compressor pulley (which contains the compressor clutch) will turn, but the compressor will not turn. You may want to look on YouTube to see what a compressor clutch engaging looks like. The clutch inside the pulley also turns when engaged.

The easiest way to test is: With the engine off find the low pressure cutoff switch (usually on or near the dryer), carefully pull the electric connector off (it will have a lock tab), and jump the two wires in the connector plug you removed. Make a U shaped jumper wire out of a piece of wire. Solid wire is best.

Start the car and turn the AC on. If the compressor clutch engages and the compressor turns on when the connector wires are jumped (connected) the problem is low refrigerant (most likely) or a bad low-pressure cutoff switch.

The switch can also go bad and there may be plenty of refrigerant in which case you would then need AC gauges to verify. The switch can be replaced without losing refrigerant.

Last edited by z17112; 03-17-19 at 04:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jayalaba (03-16-19)
Old 03-16-19, 09:13 AM
jayalaba
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your neat explanation. I took to few auto repair guys and I am not sure did they follow the instructions you said. I will do it and keep you updated. Thanks brother.
Old 03-16-19, 09:17 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Pretty sure he is stating that the gauge on a can of 134 refrigerant is in the green. My advice would be the same as yours above. If the compressor is not actually turning the gauge reading is not meaningful.
Confirm your compressor is actually turning on. I have not worked on my LS A/C system, so I can't advise how easy it is to see if the compressor itself is turning when the A/C clutch is powered. When you switch on the A/C the compressor has an electric clutch on the front of the A/C compressor. That clutch spins the compressor when powered up. On most cars you can see the compressor start turning when the clutch is powered. Look behind the pulley between the pulley and the body of the compressor. Check Utube for examples. The compressor must be turning for the gauge reading to be right.
Old 03-16-19, 11:22 AM
jayalaba
Driver School Candidate

Lets talk about the correctional way, I start the car, The buttons are in the climate control not working. No Air, No sound, No temperature, no display, nothing. I replaced with new but same result. Why should I check the compressor? The compressor will act or engage and follow the commandos from climate control correct? Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
Old 03-16-19, 11:27 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

So what's actually bad here, the AC Control Unit? First post says "all lights in panel are working" but your last post says "no display, nothing. I replaced with new but same result."
Old 03-16-19, 11:39 AM
jayalaba
Driver School Candidate

NO display in the led panel, like direction of air symbol, vent symbol or any other displays. Please refer the pic. But I do have the lights around the unit.

This is courtesy pic. NO the real one from my car
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
led.pdf (37.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-16-19, 11:46 AM
jayalaba
Driver School Candidate

The actual bad is not the unit. could be some fuse, relay.. I have no idea..