LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

10" Android screen for LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22 | 07:40 PM
Tommie91
Driver School Candidate

i,ve installed a 10.1 android head unit in my 2001 lexus ls430 everything works except the A/C control interface of the head unit. the unit is a plug and play and everything connected up except the connection to the stock navigation display wiring harness which controls the A/C interface of the stock navigation unit. The Android unit had a black and pink wiring harness with a 28 pin connector on the end which i assumes is suppose to connect to the stock navigation wiring harness that controls the A/C display of the stock unit. But this connection cannot mate with my wiring harness which has a 10 pin; 14 pin; and 8 pin male connectors and as a results, i can't get my A/C interface to work. Can you give me some advise on how to connect the android unit to my A/C?
Old 03-10-22 | 11:06 AM
RENGOKU
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know what the OBD plug on the Android unit's harness is used for? Everything in my unit is fully functioning but i'm wondering if this even needs to be connected?
The following users liked this post:
Z7USUDRV (05-11-23)
Old 03-16-22 | 09:43 AM
Celcior430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tommie91
i,ve installed a 10.1 android head unit in my 2001 lexus ls430 everything works except the A/C control interface of the head unit. the unit is a plug and play and everything connected up except the connection to the stock navigation display wiring harness which controls the A/C interface of the stock navigation unit. The Android unit had a black and pink wiring harness with a 28 pin connector on the end which i assumes is suppose to connect to the stock navigation wiring harness that controls the A/C display of the stock unit. But this connection cannot mate with my wiring harness which has a 10 pin; 14 pin; and 8 pin male connectors and as a results, i can't get my A/C interface to work. Can you give me some advise on how to connect the android unit to my A/C?
Hi, have you made the air conditioning work already?
I have the same problem with Model Year 2000.
everything else works but not A / C. i don't know where i would connect the two connectors with a total of three wires. Can you advise?
Old 03-22-22 | 06:07 PM
bramb
7th Gear

All,

My car is a beautiful 2005 Lexus LS 430. Planning to replace the old dash screen.

Attached the picture of the dashboard

Questions
=========

1) I am planning to buy this.

https://www.seicane.com/index.php/fo...caAsjvEALw_wcB

2) I hope this can control temperature

3) How can I attach the current rear camera to this unit? I saw some other videos where you need to really run long wires along die edge of the car. That is so ugly

4) How long does it take to put the new one?

5) Should I buy Androild 10 or Android 11?

5) I saw a video where radio stations are misbehaving

6) Any other limitations that I need to be aware of

Thank you

Old 03-22-22 | 06:08 PM
bramb
7th Gear

Forgot to attach my 2005 LS 430 dashboard
Old 03-22-22 | 06:30 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

I would personally recommend this unit as this is the one I have: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002744790134.html.

Regardless what is important is to get an 8 core unit with 4GB or greater RAM and wireless carplay, as you want it to be somewhat future-proof.

1) Follow the video linked below for installation in 2004-2006 models (another video includes splicing instructions for 01-03 models)
2) It controls temperature, front/rear defrost, volume, EQ, basically everything except rear subwoofer levels - those will be at whatever level you set when disconnecting the OE unit.
3) There is definitely a way to retain the OE camera, but I believe that would still require you to run an RCA cable to the trunk. You can hide the wires by running them underneath the side floor panels and behind the rear seat. As shown in the video, there's a way to ensure they are not visible.
4) Installation took me about 3-4 hours or so as it was my first time doing anything similar.
5) Not sure of the differences between Android 10 vs 11. Also, not sure if any units have wireless android auto or if that's even a thing.
6) Radio settings need to be changed, as I believe they are set to Chinese ranges? I personally haven't touched them since I never listen to the radio.

Here's a review I posted on one of the Facebook groups
Spoiler

Last edited by nvwls; 05-12-22 at 04:49 AM.
Z7USUDRV (05-15-23)
Old 03-22-22 | 06:49 PM
bramb
7th Gear

Originally Posted by nvwls
I would personally recommend this unit as this is the one I have: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002744790134.html.

Regardless what is important is to get an 8 core unit with 4GB or greater RAM and wireless carplay, as you want it to be somewhat future-proof.

1) Follow the video linked below for installation in 2004-2006 models (another video includes splicing instructions for 01-03 models)
2) It controls temperature, front/rear defrost, volume, EQ, basically everything except rear subwoofer levels - those will be at whatever level you set when disconnecting the OE unit.
3) There is definitely a way to retain the OE camera, but I believe that would still require you to run an RCA cable to the trunk. You can hide the wires by running them underneath the side floor panels and behind the rear seat. As shown in the video, there's a way to ensure they are not visible.
4) Installation took me about 3-4 hours or so as it was my first time doing anything similar.
5) Not sure of the differences between Android 10 vs 11. Also, not sure if any units have wireless android auto or if that's even a thing.
6) Radio settings need to be changed, as I believe they are set to Chinese ranges? I personally haven't touched them since I never listen to the radio.

Spoiler

Awesome response. Does this come with carplay? How big is the screen? Looking for 10"
Z7USUDRV (05-15-23)
Old 03-22-22 | 10:59 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

If you check out the AliExpress item description you will see there are different models available. Only certain ones include wireless carplay, they all include wired. All the screens are 10" as that is the maximum size the OE bezel will allow for (sitting flush).
Old 03-24-22 | 08:22 AM
bramb
7th Gear

I am thinking of buying this 8GB/128GB , All the vendors are telling me the screen size is only 9". No 10".

Looks like I need to remove from old Lexus camera and replace it it with their AHD one. Looks like I need to run the long RCA cable to the trunk

Old 03-24-22 | 08:32 AM
bramb
7th Gear

Found another one EIKY Official store. Not sure which is better. Can you please comment?

Old 03-24-22 | 11:59 AM
nvwls
Pit Crew

I'm honestly not sure if there is a difference between them, but the KK5 is the model I purchased from "EKIY Global Store," which has a higher store rating.
Old 03-25-22 | 01:54 PM
GregE34
Driver School Candidate

Spoiler

So, does this unit send sound to the subwoofer?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-22 | 03:48 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Yes, it does. But it doesn't control the sound levels. I have a blown sub so I had the sub levels set very low on my OE unit, and when I switched over I wasn't able to adjust it. I had to reconnect the OE unit and increase the sub volume and then switch back. One benefit of the new unit is that it is very easy to remove and reinstall, taking maybe 5-10 minutes because you no longer have to remove the temperature control bezels.
Old 03-25-22 | 05:28 PM
GregE34
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it does. But it doesn't control the sound levels. I have a blown sub so I had the sub levels set very low on my OE unit, and when I switched over I wasn't able to adjust it. I had to reconnect the OE unit and increase the sub volume and then switch back. One benefit of the new unit is that it is very easy to remove and reinstall, taking maybe 5-10 minutes because you no longer have to remove the temperature control bezels.
Awesome. My ML sub is freshly rebuilt. So, I’ll just leave my levels as they are.

Just put my order in.

thank you for your very detailed and informative post.
Old 04-18-22 | 07:23 PM
GregE34
Driver School Candidate

So, I’ve finally installed this.

I’m fairly pleased.

The install instructions are pretty much nonexistent, save for what the folks in this thread have posted.

On the plus side, it does control all the HVAC just like the original head unit does. It even works the rear AC in my UL.

The Mark Levinson audio sounds just as fantastic as it did before.

The wiring is meh, as is the fit and finish, but for the price, when compared to the Vline, it’s pretty damn good.

I really agonized about this vs the Vline, but am glad I went this route. Otherwise, I’d just have CarPlay that was on the original screen with really low resolution. Instead, I have a larger screen with good resolution a fully functional Android tablet with the ability to download all the apps from the play store and CarPlay. Plus I have retained all the functionality of the original screen.

I’ll give it a few weeks and report back, but at this point, I’d say it’s a win.

I went with nwlvs advice and got one with 8 core and 4GB RAM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregE34:
nvwls (04-19-22), Z7USUDRV (05-15-23)

Quick Reply: 10" Android screen for LS430