LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Thoughts on LS430 rough shifting and A761e transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 04:31 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Update:

ECM is re-installed in ls430. SIA provided lifetime warranty. The invoice stated: Rebuilt transmission circuitry and highly recommended reprogramming smth (I cant read what exactly).

Day 1. Harsh shifting is completely gone. The acceleration is incredibly smooth. I was trying to catch shifting, but after 15 min drive I am no longer can say that I notice it.

I would never get the result like this if I turn off negative battery cable for more than 20 min, or do any other reset using Techstream. As for me, the problem is solved.

However, I will go ahead and submit observation reports twice a week just to ensure the fix is permanent.
The following 4 users liked this post by ls430w140:
06GS300Lex (02-07-21), caddylover (03-15-19), Hagar (09-10-20), JBrady (03-19-19)
Old 03-16-19, 12:40 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Yes I know it’s 3 am. But I just finished installing the ECM, filling the car up with coolant, torquing the newly powdercoated wheels to spec (pics to come) and filling & bleeding the coolant, which I never got the chance to do after doing my timing belt.

But wow, what a difference. I laughed out loud as soon as I took off down the road in the car. It never has shifted so smoothly, especially the 1-2 shift, which used to be pretty evident but now is completely seamless. No harsh downshifts, and most importantly, no harsh upshift from 5-6 which bothered me the most. Also, when I floor it, the car doesn’t hunt for a gear like it used to. It immediately downshifts and takes off, no hesitation or delay. Frankly, the car now shifts as smooth/smoother than my 98 LS400 which is damn high praise. The LS430 has always been in a different league when it comes to stillness at idle in Drive, which my 400 cannot even touch, no change there.

Overall, if my 430 keeps these shift parameters it will be the best $115 I’ve spent on any car, ever. I will post updates if anything changes.

The following users liked this post:
JBrady (03-19-19)
Old 03-16-19, 07:38 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Peacebay, I am glad you are also enjoying your ride after the fix. Definitely the investment into SIA services paid back with the superior comfort restored to OEM standards... Apparently now I know how Ls430 rides when it comes off the factory ). Lately I ve been using a lot of LyFT, and oh man... I don’t see changing my car to any new ones for probably another 10 years maybe... So many critical thoughts about other new cars that I wanna express, but rather not, related to suspension, noise, shifting (lol), interior space, and overall comfort. Just nothing stands close to ls430 value...

Looking forward to seeing you car pictures with new wheels. Also, I completely forgot to mention, because I have new custom exhaust and thanks to proper shifting, I am finally getting really really deep quality muffler sound in all gear range, which is extremely pleasant to ears (nothing crazy loud). Especially, now that second gear is engaged at the right time, there are no longer acoustic “interruptions” in acceleration. So happy about that lol
Old 03-16-19, 09:19 AM
Yamae

Received 884 Likes on 666 Posts

Simply check the ripple voltage at the Vcc line of the ECU and will know the answer.
Old 03-17-19, 04:08 PM
bradland

Received 673 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
My '05 has had somewhat rough 5-6 upshifts, seems like it hunts occasionally, and a yr ago had the violent 2-1 downshift problem. Saw somewhere on this board the following process to reset the trans:
a. insert key
b. turn key to on, no start
c. press gas pedal to floor
d. hold pedal to floor 5 seconds, key to off position, then release gas pedal
e. wait 2 minutes
f. remove key.

I tried it and was stunned at the improvement. Suddenly the trans shifts ultra smooth, no notchiness at all in any gear, the 2-1 downshift tug is gone. Quite surprised but very pleased.
As someone else commented I guess this means the trans adjusts itself over time based on driving behavior. If this is true, I'd really like to understand the logic of the adjustments...meaning, driving behavior xxxx results in specific adjustments yyyy. Would be very interesting to understand what Toyota engineered here.
Ummmm....
Hey guys THIS WORKS !!! Quite a noticeable difference, thanks again toddmorr
The following users liked this post:
JBrady (03-19-19)
Old 03-19-19, 09:20 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Day 5. Transmission is extremely smooth and pleasant for driving experience. No need for additional adjustments or memory reset so far. Looking forward to enter the second week of testing to see if any changes will be observed.
Old 03-19-19, 09:32 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradland
Ummmm....
Hey guys THIS WORKS !!! Quite a noticeable difference, thanks again toddmorr
Good for you . I actually tried the procedure after the ECM being repaired and unfortunately couldn't observe any difference lol. I wonder if my transmission now shift smoothly disregarding any memory-preset.

But could you please describe what was different before the reset?
Old 03-19-19, 01:56 PM
bradland

Received 673 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Good for you . I actually tried the procedure after the ECM being repaired and unfortunately couldn't observe any difference lol. I wonder if my transmission now shift smoothly disregarding any memory-preset.

But could you please describe what was different before the reset?
I've never had an issue with highway driving but the car always felt a bit loose or floaty in slower parking lot driving. I'm struggling to find the right word and still not sure if loose or floaty is correct. There was a very slight disconnect in pedal feel I always assumed was inherent to drive by wire throttle bodies. It was never enough to make me think anything was wrong but just enough to plant a little doubt in the back of your mind. Fast forward, no pun intended, to post the above procedure and I feel connected when driving slow and all of a sudden I have throttle response! What's interesting is I was considering replacing the fuel pulsation dampers to remedy the lack of throttle response...
Old 03-19-19, 02:36 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
I've never had an issue with highway driving but the car always felt a bit loose or floaty in slower parking lot driving. I'm struggling to find the right word and still not sure if loose or floaty is correct. There was a very slight disconnect in pedal feel I always assumed was inherent to drive by wire throttle bodies. It was never enough to make me think anything was wrong but just enough to plant a little doubt in the back of your mind. Fast forward, no pun intended, to post the above procedure and I feel connected when driving slow and all of a sudden I have throttle response! What's interesting is I was considering replacing the fuel pulsation dampers to remedy the lack of throttle response...
It's good that you didn't replace the fuel dampers as they should not have affected the car as you described. It's interesting that I am aware of threads discussing transmission issues on the 04-06 6 speed transmissions but am not aware of many issues with the first series (5 speed) on the 01--03. I'm just happy I have a dip stick! lol
Old 03-20-19, 01:58 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Update: even though my car hasn't done the harsh 2-1 downshift, it's back to the almost the exact same stuff. The harsh 5-6 upshift is back in full force. So frustrating, almost makes me want to sell the car at this point.
Old 03-20-19, 02:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Update: even though my car hasn't done the harsh 2-1 downshift, it's back to the almost the exact same stuff. The harsh 5-6 upshift is back in full force. So frustrating, almost makes me want to sell the car at this point.

Hmm. Is this just casual 5-6 upshifting or heavy throttle at high speeds?

The 5-6 isn't as smooth as the others on heavy throttle at highway speeds. I wouldn't call it harsh either, just more abrupt than usual.

If this is what you're experiencing, it's normal. Or, at least I've noticed it and have never had one transmission issue other than not doing the TSB for the 2-1 downshift (bc I don't care and don't live in an area where it presents itself very often at all). They're solid transmissions, I can't recall anyone ever having one fail on here.

Sorry for your problems, though. Hope you get it sorted out.
Old 03-20-19, 02:14 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

It’s only ever when I’m cruising with my foot *barely* on the throttle, accelerating slowly from let’s say 40-50 mph. At 45, it’ll just throw itself into 6th so abrupty that it’s very noticeable. And at this point I’m so hyper aware of this I might be making it into a bigger problem in my head than it really is, but there is no mistaking that final upshift, believe me.

At moderate throttle the car shifts wonderfully
Old 03-20-19, 02:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

It’s only ever when I’m cruising with my foot *barely* on the throttle, accelerating slowly from let’s say 40-50 mph. At 45, it’ll just throw itself into 6th so abrupty that it’s very noticeable. And at this point I’m so hyper aware of this I might be making it into a bigger problem in my head than it really is, but there is no mistaking that final upshift, believe me.

At moderate throttle the car shifts wonderfully
Hmm. I know what you mean how when it goes into OD, but there is something wrong if you're feeling the shift.

What year and mileage? Ever had the fluid changed?
Old 03-20-19, 02:23 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

05, 85,000 miles. I’ve had the fluid drained and filled two seperate times by my Lexus dealer and once by myself.
Old 03-20-19, 02:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

05, 85,000 miles. I’ve had the fluid drained and filled two seperate times by my Lexus dealer and once by myself.
Ok I'm 04 and at 140k, only one fluid exchange over life of car and mine still shifts like it's new. Based on your info you should be fine.

Have you checked your motor mounts?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on LS430 rough shifting and A761e transmission