LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Thoughts on LS430 rough shifting and A761e transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 05:04 PM
robbyboy32
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

All I can say is running the code and replacing the offending solenoid solved all our problems. The car continues to run excellently. I have no experience to recommend the ECU flash as an alternative. I can't see a mechanic charging more than 2 hours of labor if you describe the problem in detail, and refer to the suggestions in this thread. My solenoid was $135. The transmission gasket and filter were inexpensive eBay OEM. Even if you are not DIY, having Techstream could save someone overestimating the repair if you're not doing it yourself.
Old 12-27-20, 12:33 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Finally the LS430 is shifting properly. The cure was sending the ECM to foreignecurepair.com. They found and repaired the cold solder joint(s) for $260.

The car did have an intermittent code indicating a solenoid valve in the transmission. I ohmed the solenoids through the connector to the ECM and didn’t find a issue that agreed with the code. So I decided to send the ECM for repair. I had the unit back in 8 days and the downshifting problem was fixed.

My advice if you have this problem:
  • Do drain and fills or fluid replacement - you may get lucky.
  • Check the solenoids using a meter and small copper wires inserted in the transmission ECM plug. You may find a shorted or open solenoid coil. You can find a pinout on the internet.
  • If faced with a choice, you can change a solenoid for about the same money as an ECM repair. ECM repair is much easier. Send the ECM out for repair to a REPUTABLE repair facility. Read the reviews. Some are a pain to deal with. Some cannot find the problem.

Last edited by mdpresco; 12-27-20 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 12-28-20, 06:52 AM
Ecohman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Well today I found out my Lexus dealership pretty severely overfilled my transmission. A year ago I did my own drain and fill and then had the dealership do the two subsequent ones a few months apart.

Today I figured it was worth a shot to find out the actual oil level for myself. Once i got the trans to the correct temp I unscrewed the overfill plug and at least a quart extra came out until it started trickling like it should. Took the car for a two hour drive afterwards and everything is now working as it should, smooth as butter.

I’ve worked on cars all my life, done everything from engine rebuilds to oil changes. This was one of the few times ive ever bothered to bring my car to a professional for something as benign as a drain and fill.. yet again I experience the old cliche if you want something done right, do it yourself.
If you find somebody you can trust, it is a treasure. I have a certified Lexus wrench that works on the side. He is 3 hours a way but worth it for serious work.
Old 12-28-20, 08:06 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mdpresco
Finally the LS430 is shifting properly. The cure was sending the ECM to foreignecurepair.com. They found and repaired the cold solder joint(s) for $260.

The car did have an intermittent code indicating a solenoid valve in the transmission. I ohmed the solenoids through the connector to the ECM and didn’t find a issue that agreed with the code. So I decided to send the ECM for repair. I had the unit back in 8 days and the downshifting problem was fixed.

My advice if you have this problem:
  • Do drain and fills or fluid replacement - you may get lucky.
  • Check the solenoids using a meter and small copper wires inserted in the transmission ECM plug. You may find a shorted or open solenoid coil. You can find a pinout on the internet.
  • If faced with a choice, you can change a solenoid for about the same money as an ECM repair. ECM repair is much easier. Send the ECM out for repair to a REPUTABLE repair facility. Read the reviews. Some are a pain to deal with. Some cannot find the problem.
Great info! Good to have an alternative company which has a proven record of getting repairs done right.

Something else I wanted to share here.

I wanted to do some testing on my transmission. I went ahead and connected my OTC adapter to the diagnostic terminal and erased all values in transmission memory.

Now, instead of proper road test which is supposed to “educate” the transmission, i purposefully performed it incorrectly. I only used two gears, and I wouldn’t reach necessary speeds to “lock” in the memory.

It’s been more than a week and I switched to full range D in the gearbox. In 40 mph I get a very noticeable shifting “punch”. Consistently. It doesn’t depend on acceleration speed.

I will go ahead and drive it like that for another week and then I do reset the memory again and do the proper road test this time. I will update on the results.
Old 01-04-21, 08:47 AM
RicD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a reputable ECM repair facility in New Jersey?

Last edited by RicD; 01-04-21 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Left out word
Old 04-09-21, 07:48 PM
excels430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kodawari
Just wanted to provide an update to my situation above while I was on vacation in Los Angeles. I took it to a top-rated transmission shop who immediately knew it was the ECM. They had it rebuilt and two days later I got my car back. Good as new. Not the way I wanted to start ownership of my car but the important thing is that it's now fixed.
Hey - I'm in LA and curious about this shop. Mind sharing the name?
Old 04-12-21, 09:40 AM
Kodawari
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by excels430
Hey - I'm in LA and curious about this shop. Mind sharing the name?
Hi there, it's more in the 'greater LA area' than LA proper, but it was Leon's Transmissions at7528 Reseda Blvd, Reseda, CA 91335. I believe they have other locations in the area, but the older man who helped me there (I forget his name) was great.​​​​​​
Old 04-12-21, 09:57 AM
excels430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kodawari
Hi there, it's more in the 'greater LA area' than LA proper, but it was Leon's Transmissions at7528 Reseda Blvd, Reseda, CA 91335. I believe they have other locations in the area, but the older man who helped me there (I forget his name) was great.​​​​​​
Much obliged. Will check it out. Haven't been that far into the valley before but could be worth a shot.
Old 04-12-21, 10:05 AM
Kodawari
Driver School Candidate

Much obliged. Will check it out. Haven't been that far into the valley before but could be worth a shot.
Are you experiencing the rough downshifting issue?
Old 04-12-21, 11:58 AM
excels430
Driver School Candidate

Definitely not as bad as what some experience but some of the shifts feel like they could be smoother. I have the 2004 model at 86k. Last time I had the battery removed the car felt extra buttery for the first ride. Did they do the rebuild and the reflash? I don't particularly want to send it in to SIA and have to wait.
Old 04-13-21, 09:12 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Hey @Kodawari and @excels430 , thanks for revisiting this. I had asked this earlier. I am also experiencing the 2-1 jerk. I have tried the accelerator pedal-key reset, but like others said, it doesn't last very long. I am in Washington, and my LS is my only car so I do not have a week and a half to rent a car whlle I FEdex overnight my chip to SIA, but a road trip to LA for vacation is easy, and I used to live right off of Reseda Blvd. Thanks again for the info.

@Peacebay , still there? Any thoughts on my previous question to you?

All the better would if anyone knows a shop who knows this fix in the Seattle, WA vicinity??

Nathan
Old 04-13-21, 12:41 PM
Kodawari
Driver School Candidate

Definitely not as bad as what some experience but some of the shifts feel like they could be smoother. I have the 2004 model at 86k. Last time I had the battery removed the car felt extra buttery for the first ride. Did they do the rebuild and the reflash? I don't particularly want to send it in to SIA and have to wait.
I have the paperwork stored right now so I can't reference it, but I believe they work with a place that does the rebuild and didn't do it themselves. I think they removed the ECU and brought it to another place which rebuilt it, then reinstalled it. All has been good since then (6 months) with no issues.
Old 04-15-21, 09:34 AM
excels430
Driver School Candidate

Cool - thank you for sharing all of this. Glad to hear things are working on your end 6 months later. Figures that arguably the biggest issue with the car at this age is electronics..
Old 04-15-22, 09:40 AM
travis8071
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Peacebay

Oh cool! Well keep me updated too then.

But the tech did hook up his techstream to my car so we could check for any codes and nothing came up. I let it go for a while, but while the car sits for the winter I figured it would finally be the perfect opportunity to send it out. 87k miles on my 05 fwiw
where is the SIA place located
Old 04-16-22, 11:48 AM
amusing
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Abrupt Transmission downshifts are cured with DAT

Digital Auto Technology DAT in Riverside, CA. send in a box with your trans computer bubble wrapped with prepaid copy/printout $ 275 and return ship $15 See their webpage for instructions. 1 year warranty. We had a 4 day turn around : boxed it and usps shipped on April 4 then on April 8 on our doorstep. Reinstall takes about 3 minutes easy.
https://stores.digitalautotech.com/
Confirming our 2004 with 205k here in So. Cal. recently developed abrupt downshifts 2 into 1 at about 25mph while slowing ; also at about 40 mph slowing the abrupt downshifts.
100% happy with this vendor and our LS430 is back to classic smoothness.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on LS430 rough shifting and A761e transmission