LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rolling fenders

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 09:48 PM
cookieend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolling fenders

i bought a fender roller to go lower and so I could turn more without rubbing to bad. So I rolled my fenders (yes it was my first time but I am awake of what to do) and as I did I ran into a problem. There two taps to hold the plastic molding in place and I’m guess it really thick of metal there. It would not roll or pull. I used heat during the process and still didn’t work to bring those two tabs out. Tried so much I kinda messed it up. Idk if this happened to you guys with 430s but I really need help. I would roll more but the more I roll the more noticeable these the taps on the fender look. And yess I even gone to extreme level and cracked paint just to pull that part more out and yet nothing. You can see it more clearly in the full body pic the two tabs that don’t seems to be rolled lol

Last edited by cookieend; 03-14-19 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 06:59 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

You typically roll fenders when more clearance is needed on a wider wheel, not rubbing on stockies. Are you sure it was rubbing on the fender, or was it actually hitting the inner wheel well / fender liner?
Old 03-15-19, 08:36 AM
cookieend
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kos
You typically roll fenders when more clearance is needed on a wider wheel, not rubbing on stockies. Are you sure it was rubbing on the fender, or was it actually hitting the inner wheel well / fender liner?
yeah man positive. My tire was a bit tore up from not being rolling and rubbing and just Turing the littlest bit
Old 03-15-19, 08:41 AM
cookieend
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kos
oh btw the close up pics are before I lowered more because that’s my goal with stockies
Old 03-15-19, 09:58 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

Did you search before you attempted this? I believe this has been covered before and it is known that the tabs will cause a dimpling effect if they are not shaved first.
Old 03-15-19, 10:04 AM
cookieend
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Romanova
Did you search before you attempted this? I believe this has been covered before and it is known that the tabs will cause a dimpling effect if they are not shaved first.
yeah but no one ever mentioned these tabs. I posted something a while back asking about it cause I was worried about the tabs and most ppl said just go slowly over the tabs or to just cut them off completely. I was not gunna cut them off because well I honestly thought t was not needed. I did start to cut one of them off but rellized it was take a while and I don’t have to much time for it. But thanks for the replies. I’ve came to a conclusion and found new both front fenders. And well I won’t make the same mistake. Probably just rolled the middle right before hitting the weak points. Or if everything goes wel I’ll have someone cut em
Old 03-15-19, 10:06 AM
cookieend
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Romanova
I hve no use for these fenders anymore so I kinda wanna see if I could fix em cause wel their trash now. Could I still cut the taps and lip and maybe roll that part again just carefully? Enough to Match the rest.
Old 03-15-19, 12:41 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

If you look on IG, there are several quality guys who roll fenders and have done the LS430 before. I know there is on in NC who told me that he shaves the tabs and the lip slightly in order to get a crease-free roll. I would do some research before you try anything else ... lots of good info out there if you search a bit.
Old 03-15-19, 03:10 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by cookieend

I hve no use for these fenders anymore so I kinda wanna see if I could fix em cause wel their trash now. Could I still cut the taps and lip and maybe roll that part again just carefully? Enough to Match the rest.
Your fenders are junk you distorted the metal you cant roll something that is wavy and bumpy without destroying the fenders more, get a new set watch some videos and try again.
Old 03-15-19, 04:41 PM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Your fenders are junk you distorted the metal you cant roll something that is wavy and bumpy without destroying the fenders more, get a new set watch some videos and try again.
Yup, those fenders are trash now. I guess you could try doing a big pull on them to try and make it more uniform? But definitely a new pair is in order, along with shaving the tabs. Slow and steady next go around.
Old 03-15-19, 06:28 PM
cookieend
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kos
Yup, those fenders are trash now. I guess you could try doing a big pull on them to try and make it more uniform? But definitely a new pair is in order, along with shaving the tabs. Slow and steady next go around.
thanks guys! I took the fenders to a shop to see what they could do and idk what they didn’t but it does look at bit better not. Dimples are still present but it not quite as noticeable. There is a small amount of distortion when light hits it but overall it t looks okay. Before they were completely **** lol. Not sure what he did actually but I’m sure he did pull but not with a fender roller.