LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyway else tired of their ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-19, 12:53 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I am the complete opposite of tired of my LS430. Granted I did just get it a week ago.. I think the only thing I'll get tired of is filling it up with premium gas and getting 20 MPG. Other than that, I'm in love with these cars for many reasons. Once the disadvantages or expenses outweigh the benefits/fun factor then I'll consider it, but I'm likely keeping it a while.
Old 03-30-19, 04:14 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I am bored of mine too, but love the reliability and ride quality. Will probably get a Tesla after this, maybe next year some time.
Old 03-30-19, 08:34 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I used to get bored with cars before I got the LS430. 10 years and counting, and still enjoy every day I get in it and start up that smooth as silk V8. Effortless to drive and dead nuts 100% reliable. The car and all its systems run about as well as any car ever made particularly if you consider reliability and ease of use. If you can find what you think is a better car then by all means go buy it and try not to look back.
Old 03-30-19, 09:00 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts

jabberwock, Theres just a hand full of us left that has our LS430's as long as us.Time sure does fly.
Remember the threads would go two or more pages a day on this board? I will not be parting with mine (god willing)for a long time to come.
Old 03-31-19, 02:33 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I've had mine for 12 years and it looks and drives like it's new. Have no thoughts of wanting something new, enjoying it every day.
Old 03-31-19, 06:17 AM
z17112
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
LS 430 versus VW. If yur happy with VW great. They are on different planets
I'm surprised folks even compare front wheel drive cars to rear wheel drive cars. I wouldn't own a front wheel drive car. My grandmother had one, I think it was a Buick or Oldsmobile.

Note: BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Corvette and most top of the line models...... don't even waste their time on front wheel drive.
Old 03-31-19, 06:33 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been on here since 2008 300k 2 LS's ago. As my suspension sags they feel even heavier but still love the v8 power, handling aint bad as the suspension sags, nice headlights safety and comfort features, . I have my 05 camry to sport about town and a lighter feel power to weight wise for some nimbler fun and to spread out the miles. In 2 years gonna retire then part with one of the two. My insurance is 200 a year with 1/2 mil coverage no collision its nice to have 3 cars for wife and I other cars a Touareg TDI which is fun.
Old 03-31-19, 09:03 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default It can handle!

I am blown away by how well my 05 with original air suspension handles. The combination of air suspension and 18" wheels is really good.

Thanks to those 35 series sidewalls on the 18"s I feel my LS is a nice compromise. I can really push this car hard and be rewarded with no nasty surprises. Perhaps it will get more interesting when I find the limits. They are pretty high.

Again, I am coming from a Prius, which handles about as well as my refrigerator. No feel. electric steering, and loads of electronic nannies.

The LS at least my LS has great handling, heavy can be a good thing. If I had to find one word it would be planted.
Old 03-31-19, 03:27 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

45 profile?
Old 04-01-19, 11:31 AM
Neverdone
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had my 01 LS for a bit over a year and o do have some issues with it that I need to fix, but the motor has been ridiculously reliable.

I had a pretty bad PS leak that turned out to be all the deals were pooched. Put a nee rack in and that thing drives like I thought it should have in the beginning. Didnt realize it was so poor until I changed that out.
Old 04-01-19, 12:46 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
jabberwock, Theres just a hand full of us left that has our LS430's as long as us.Time sure does fly.
Remember the threads would go two or more pages a day on this board? I will not be parting with mine (god willing)for a long time to come.
I do remember, as these cars age the owners change with them : )

For me it has been bar none the best most enjoyable and reliable car I have ever owned.

Had the LS for 10 years now and personally put 102k miles on it (115k total) and it still runs and operates like the day I bought it. I will try to keep the LS430 long enough so that when it is time for the next car it is likely to be at least a partially and maybe fully autonomous driving electric/hybrid vehicle (5-7 more years or so?).
Old 04-03-19, 10:49 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
I must have bought the wrong car, as my LS430 handles extremely well for a 4000lb behemoth.
I hurl it round super tight twisties most days and have yet to reach the limits of grip.
Compared to my 98 Acura RL or my 01 S-Class Merc, the LS is a sports car.
The LS is the best car I've ever owned and until I can afford a brand new S63AMG it will remain the best.
Is there a small badge on the front fender that says "Sport"? I've got one and it handles surprisingly well for a large luxury car.
Old 04-03-19, 11:06 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I keep thinking I should get something newer then I see the prices. Very few can match the build quality. It's also rock solid at 130 mph I don't need a display that's the size of a small TV. No need for a car that I can drive using my iPhone. Oh wait, just kidding on that one. Maybe. I had an 01 for 3 years. I've had the '04 for 2 years. No plans to sell it anytime soon. May get a Corvette for fun but the LS is like good wine.
Old 04-04-19, 04:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Now that a lot of the laundry for 2018 is done, I am no longer tired of my LS430. I mean raise, bonus, tax refund, house and auto insurance, and 2/3 of the property tax bills paid (the big one is school taxes by 8/31). The damage and recovery that my savings has taken is saying, "what new car?"

I was just talking to my buddy on the phone last night, and I keep trying (to no avail I'm pretty sure and he has never listened to me anyway not sure why he always asks) to get him to order a 2020 M2. He already has a E46 ZHP so I keep saying M is the next logical step, anything else is a lateral move just newer. Ditto for me. So unless I were in a position to get something I really want, better get this idea of being tired of the LS430 out of my head. The numbers he gave me is the M2 is north of 60k now (I think of it as a $52k car and a bargain at 52k). Things keep accelerating out of reach!
Old 04-07-19, 10:49 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 255 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Is there a small badge on the front fender that says "Sport"? I've got one and it handles surprisingly well for a large luxury car.
It doesn't. It has the air suspension but is on 18" OEM rims with 245/45 tyres.
It is a European model so may have sportier anti-roll than US spec.
It does have the Sport button, which helps a bit, as does Power mode.

Quick Reply: Anyway else tired of their ls430?