Anyway else tired of their ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 04:32 PM
Lamb2221
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Linear Guy

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
After 10+ years of ownership with my LS430, I can honestly say I just can't see ever getting rid of it! Best car I have ever owned!
I've been reading about all of your love affairs with the LS and am almost in years. A month ago I traded my 01 LS430 on an SC430. I had the LS 10 years, put 100k miles on it and loved every mile I spent with it. I bought the SC hoping for the ride, handling, power, everything of the LS and it just isn't the same car. Run flat tires ride terribly, there's an intermittent key fob problem where the key fob works sometimes and other times it doesn't, the ride isn't even close but the SC is smaller and somewhat more agile. So, moral of the story, don't buy an SC expecting the ride and response of an LS. I miss the LS.

I really miss this LS. It was the perfect luxury-sports sedan.

The SC is nice but, it's not an LS...not even close.
Old 08-05-19, 07:46 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Lamb2221
I've been reading about all of your love affairs with the LS and am almost in years. A month ago I traded my 01 LS430 on an SC430. I had the LS 10 years, put 100k miles on it and loved every mile I spent with it. I bought the SC hoping for the ride, handling, power, everything of the LS and it just isn't the same car. Run flat tires ride terribly, there's an intermittent key fob problem where the key fob works sometimes and other times it doesn't, the ride isn't even close but the SC is smaller and somewhat more agile. So, moral of the story, don't buy an SC expecting the ride and response of an LS. I miss the LS.

If after some time you are still not happy with your SC......start looking again for an LS430. One thing about the SCs they are holding their values and some are even appreciating! Not so for the LS430.
Old 08-06-19, 07:42 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

NOPE. Love mine. Even when the LF mirror motor just runs until it times out after folding out LOL.
Old 08-06-19, 07:49 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

The LS and SCs are two very different cars! Each has some amazing qualities, and the best of all possible worlds is to own both! I drive my LS600hL most days, but take the SC430 out on nice summer nights as a date night car for me and my wife. The SC will slowly lose value, but probably not quite as quickly as the LS.
Old 08-06-19, 09:07 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
The LS and SCs are two very different cars! Each has some amazing qualities, and the best of all possible worlds is to own both! I drive my LS600hL most days, but take the SC430 out on nice summer nights as a date night car for me and my wife. The SC will slowly lose value, but probably not quite as quickly as the LS.
I remember when the brand new SCs would sit on showroom floors collecting dust. They were very slow movers at one time. Now.....demand has increased and the Lexus dealers are aware of it. The sales staff I speak with tell me how SC values for the real nice examples has actually gone up!.
Old 08-07-19, 03:18 AM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell me about this LS600HL? Here is australia our choices are limited. Which one would you choose taking cost into consideration. I really dislike the non black interior which again limits my choice.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/res...&Sort=%7ePrice

Last edited by CelsiorAUS; 08-07-19 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 05:46 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lamb2221
Lose the run flat tires. My SC was a great combo of comfort and able to take corner as fast as I want while having the top down. I missed my SC, and get all excited if I see one lol. It is a different car for different purpose.

I just got back from 5300 miles trip with the wife and kid. We ended up taking my Land Cruiser. Stepping back into the LS yesterday after almost 3 weeks on the road, and just love going back to the peaceful ride. LS is just on a different level in term of smooth relaxing ride.

I do not regret taking the Land Cruiser. We went a bit off-road in Colorado which is not doable in LS. And had some great time having meals on the Land Cruiser tail gate, but no doubt, it would be nicer to drive 5300 miles in LS from my perspective. I drove almost all of 5300 miles.

I keep telling my wife, we need 3 car garage. I think our perfect combo is having an LS for her daily drive, SC for weekend, and Land Cruiser (or Lexus LX) for long trips and anywhere we need to go off-road.

Last edited by BCT; 08-07-19 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 07:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I remember when the brand new SCs would sit on showroom floors collecting dust. They were very slow movers at one time. Now.....demand has increased and the Lexus dealers are aware of it. The sales staff I speak with tell me how SC values for the real nice examples has actually gone up!.
I like them, but my buddy says they were fugly when they came out, and even worse today. Is the styling odd for today? Of course. But I still like them. At the same time, our cars are 2001 technology regardless of what year they are, and as such, I would not want to pay 5 figures anymore for cars that have a 3UZ.
Old 08-07-19, 07:48 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by CelsiorAUS
Tell me about this LS600HL? Here is australia our choices are limited. Which one would you choose taking cost into consideration. I really dislike the non black interior which again limits my choice.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/res...&Sort=%7ePrice
I'm a huge fan of the LS600hLs! They were (and always will be) Lexus's top model! I think it would have been tough to justify the added $30k cost to move from a LS460L to a LS600hL when they were new, but on the used market the price differential has narrowed significantly, to the point that I think a well-maintained used LS600hL is one of the absolute best bargains to be had in a luxury sedan. The LS600s did have options that were never available on the LS460s, also, such as leather-wrapped dash and an amazing 5.0L V8 with additional hybrid motor propulsion (same engine that is currently being used by the super-high-end 2019 Toyota Crown - the $200k CEO car only sold in Japan). My LS600hL has virtually every option possible, including an Executive right rear seat that has an ottoman and a Shiatsu Massage function. It's truly insane how much car this is, and everything works flawlessly (because it's a Lexus). My car originally sold for $126k in 2010, and I bought in in 2018 for $27k when it had 66k one-owner miles. I bought a 6-year bumper-to-bumper warranty from CNA that will cover every expensive fix, including air ride suspension, brake actuators, ML audio system, and even the Hybrid Batteries! I plan to enjoy this car for 6 years at a minimum cost (not much depreciation left to be had, repairs covered by warranty, etc.).

I personally like the 2010-2012 model years the best in terms of looks and amenities (and price). I LOVE the unique digital dash cluster used in the 2010-2012 models, and I prefer the non-spindle-grill look for the exterior.

The following 2 users liked this post by riknchar:
jharris400 (10-07-19), Thomasin (10-14-19)
Old 08-07-19, 07:53 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I like them, but my buddy says they were fugly when they came out, and even worse today. Is the styling odd for today? Of course. But I still like them. At the same time, our cars are 2001 technology regardless of what year they are, and as such, I would not want to pay 5 figures anymore for cars that have a 3UZ.
The SC430 styling has always been a bit polarizing, but for me, it is just right! And I love how unique the car looks, and how no one can tell how old mine is (it's a 2006 with 23k miles). I even like the Gold color of mine, which is so far out of fashion that it's actually becoming fashionable again! I've had several people comment on the color recently!

The following users liked this post:
Thomasin (10-14-19)
Old 08-07-19, 04:40 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

I am spoiled by having both an ‘01 LS430 and a retro-mod ‘92 SC300..... The LS is the best riding car I have been in and like it more than the wife’s LS460 (with the exception of the seats...).

The SC is a fun “canyon runner” with the upgraded suspension and brakes.

Great to own both!.....

Old 08-08-19, 11:22 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
I am spoiled by having both an ‘01 LS430 and a retro-mod ‘92 SC300..... The LS is the best riding car I have been in and like it more than the wife’s LS460 (with the exception of the seats...).

The SC is a fun “canyon runner” with the upgraded suspension and brakes.

Great to own both!.....

The LS and SC do make for a perfect duo. Ask me how I know!
Old 08-08-19, 10:43 PM
rmawyer
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the LS600hLs! ... I bought a 6-year bumper-to-bumper warranty from CNA that will cover every expensive fix, including air ride suspension, brake actuators, ML audio system, and even the Hybrid Batteries! I plan to enjoy this car for 6 years at a minimum cost (not much depreciation left to be had, repairs covered by warranty, etc.).
Rik, have you come across anyone that has picked up a 2011 LS600H recently and was able to get the CNA warranty? I think the big risk now is the battery and that they are outside CPO and normally warranty due to year and usually miles.

I guess a later model would be doable, but dollars go way up of course, e.g., 2016 low miles CPO if such an animal existed.

Love your car... I truly think that's a unicorn, given mileage and condition when you got it.

Thoughts?
Old 08-09-19, 11:33 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmawyer
Rik, have you come across anyone that has picked up a 2011 LS600H recently and was able to get the CNA warranty? I think the big risk now is the battery and that they are outside CPO and normally warranty due to year and usually miles.

I guess a later model would be doable, but dollars go way up of course, e.g., 2016 low miles CPO if such an animal existed.

Love your car... I truly think that's a unicorn, given mileage and condition when you got it.

Thoughts?
I think a CNA warranty on a 2011 LS600hL is very doable, and CNA is one of the very few warranty companies that will pay for Hybrid Batteries if they fail. CNA warranties seem extremely sensitive to mileage (way more than year), so if you can find an LS600hL with fairly low miles, you should be able to get a great deal on a CNA warranty regardless of year.

The cost of battery replacements on the LS600hLs is fairly high, but to me is really not that big of a deal, even if I had to pay out of pocket. The real money sucker when buying a luxury car is depreciation, not repairs, and it's always funny to me that people totally disregard the huge amounts of money they lose on depreciation each year (if they buy a new or late-model luxury car) while spending all day on this forum moaning about the slim chance that they might have to pay $5k to replace hybrid batteries! If you buy a $126k car for $27k (like I did), even if I have to drop $5k into new batteries, I'm still MILES ahead of the poor guy who lost $100k in depreciation over 8 years.

I'd say keep looking and you'll find a real steal on a low-mileage LS600hL Unicorn of your own! There really is no other experience (to me) of "wafting" along in my LS600 in utter silence and unbelievable smoothness and isolation from the world outside! The car just calms me, and I never seem to drive aggressively or get upset while I'm in it. If I get stuck in traffic, I turn up the ML audio, sink into the super-soft seats, and rest...
Old 08-09-19, 12:35 PM
riknchar
Instructor

rmawyer: Here's a link to a used 2013 LS600hL I discovered on CarGurus: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=247766863

This is about the cheapest I've ever seen one of the 2013+ LS600hLs, and the miles aren't too bad (could definitely get a pretty good CNA warranty for a reasonable cost).

A 2010-2012 would be even less than this, but there really aren't many out there...
The following users liked this post:
rmawyer (08-09-19)

Quick Reply: Anyway else tired of their ls430?