LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyway else tired of their ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-19, 04:15 PM
Dustin88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I still have the LS and haven't done anything to it yet, I've drove a couple 328i e90 bmw's and I really like them but I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

The more I drive German cars the more I like them, i remember years ago a co-worker that was a serious car guy that drove an Audi A4 told me that people get sucked into Japanese cars do to the reliability but they are mainly boring to drive. I laughed at them then and keep driving my 250k mile Altima. After owning several 200-325k mile Toyota/Lexus vehicals since then I have came to the came conclusion.

I do all my car maintenance/repairs myself which really minimizes alot of used car cost.

My vw rabbit has really surprised me with how well built and reliable it has been. Closing the doors had an even louder/solid sounding thoud then the ls420. It has 155k and I've only spent about $100 fixing a few common issues. From what I've read the vw 2.5 5-cyl is super realizable and can last well over 300k miles. The vw turbo engines I've heard are super fun to drive but do have issues and can get really costly to fix.

The main thing I like about the vw is it feels like it wants to driven hard and aggressive and the LS feels the complete opposite (I don't even drive hard or aggressive). As much as a love the LS motor i think the trans just holds it back even it power mode it just shifts like crap and always feels like it slipping (it's not)

The vw does have lots of rattles and the engine vibrates at idle which does annoy me

I also drove a Volvo s60 2.5t and really liked it, I still debating about buying it.

Sorry for the rant, I guess in short i think ive decided to trade some reliability and low maintenance costs for something I actual enjoy driving/like

I really really want a Tesla model 3 but I'm trying really hard to not buy one for financial reasons (I've never had a car payment and I'm 37) so I guess I'm really on a mission to find a cheap car that I really like to take my mind of buying a Tesla!
Old 10-12-19, 08:14 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My issue with the German luxury sedans is the parts cost. My last car was a 2010 S550 and it was a wonderful car, until something broke, which was all the damn time. I DIY as much as possible and none of the fixes were too tough, but the damn parts cost 3x-5x practically any other manufacturer. There is not much you can do about it. The aftermarket parts are a bit cheaper but a lot are questionable quality.

No one, and I mean no one, on any of the MB forum talks about keeping their >2000 Mercedes 3-400k miles. 99% of them talk about never owning one out of warranty, and trading it in when the warranty runs out.
Old 10-12-19, 08:54 PM
Dustin88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, I have been scared to buy German cars my whole life because of the repair stories but I've secretly always liked them and wanted one. So I finally decided to buy one but I wanted to start off with a reliable one for under 4k. After doing lots of research I ended up with an 08 vw rabbit 2.5 manual for $2,800. They are very reliable as far as German cars go. I always have two vehicals so Its not really an issue if one car is down for awhile. So far I'm very happy with it and will probably get a BMW 3-series or VW GTI next.
I test drove a 2014 is250 and I really liked it but it was more then I wanted to pay and I feel like I need to try other brands, our last 5 vehicals have been toy/lex.

I will say the Toyota/Lexus makes some damn reliable vehicles! Our current 2003 4-runner has been amazing reliable, it's at 225k now and becides needing some suspension work it runs perfect

I can't stand people who talk trash about certain car brands/models and have zero first hand experience. I have been quilty myself and I would like to try lots of different brands/models just to know. I always buy cars in the sub 5k range and usually break even or lose very little when I sell them.

Old 10-13-19, 03:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I bought a German car brand new because the stock market was roaring, so why not, used profits (it will always be stupid because eventually stocks do go up so those profits would amount to more profits, but this is from a "play" not "investment" account). I got a 2007 335i in 12/06 so was in the group to be the first on the block. When a guy at the gym said what are you gonna do out of warranty, I said what do you mean? He said turbos are $6500. Then Consumer Reports put the car on the "most unreliable" and "avoid" lists (they changed their minds and put the 2010 model on the recommended list, they kinda do that when they're wrong--pretty sure the Honda Odyssey is in that boat for 2019). Wow, how could I not then get a factory extended warranty? It was $3400 for 7/100 so I negotiated in Delaware for $2800 so there would be no sales tax.

I NEVER SO MUCH AS HAD A SINGLE CLAIM ON THAT WARRANTY AND WASTED NEARLY 3K.

The car is now nearing 13 years old. Nothing broke, except. Yes, except. The ABS pump failed when the car was 9, conveniently out of extended warranty and a $4,200 job at the dealer. Because the aftermarket is so strong this is a DIY $249 job. I needed the software and some tools so it put my cost closer to almost $500.

The above is a YMMV but this notion that one cannot drive a German car is a myth that should be dispelled. And also why I want a S63 AMG, no newer than 2013. None of these cars including Lexus can ever see a dealership, they charge way too much and don't even do a job as good as you would, or your indie. Yesterday I spent nearly 2 hours bleeding my brakes at all four corners. BMW does do that but they charge $140. The DOT 4 is only $4/bottle. I used 2 full and a 3rd partial because I pushed a lot of fluid out. A dealer uses 1. And I know from having brought the LS430 to Lexus, they only bleed from one caliper to get the reservoir clear, they do not do all 4 corners by the book.

I do think everyone should have a reliable Japanese car--I think the LS430 is the most reliable car in our stable. But it's so boring to drive. I can't imagine if this were all that I knew. It's a car that does .73g on the skidpad! That's a 1980's American car number--poor! Does a person go to only one restaurant, and only order one entree? How boring would that be?
Old 10-13-19, 03:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by biosurfer1
My issue with the German luxury sedans is the parts cost. My last car was a 2010 S550 and it was a wonderful car, until something broke, which was all the damn time. I DIY as much as possible and none of the fixes were too tough, but the damn parts cost 3x-5x practically any other manufacturer. There is not much you can do about it. The aftermarket parts are a bit cheaper but a lot are questionable quality.

No one, and I mean no one, on any of the MB forum talks about keeping their >2000 Mercedes 3-400k miles. 99% of them talk about never owning one out of warranty, and trading it in when the warranty runs out.
This isn't good news for me since I am contemplating a 2013 S63 AMG, which one would think would break even more than a S550 version. My mind isn't made up and I haven't really dug in yet to researching. Not sure if you used the FCP Euros of the world where all the parts are guaranteed for life (sounds crazy but try them). I do know that a brake rotor would be double my 335, and my 335 already is not cheap cheap. But there are so many OE parts that are much less than Lexus. Like a brake sensor wire, OEM $13 vs. whatever it is for LS. So many Lexus parts are double BMW.
Old 10-13-19, 07:19 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
LS 430 versus VW. If yur happy with VW great. They are on different planets
My thoughts exactly. That's like comparing a Corvette to a Prius.

Originally Posted by z17112
I'm surprised folks even compare front wheel drive cars to rear wheel drive cars. I wouldn't own a front wheel drive car.
I like the smaller turn radius of rear wheel drive cars.
I don't drive in snow/ice though: I hear FWD have an advantage there.
Old 10-13-19, 01:39 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Last week marked 14 years with the LS430. I was planning to get sell it when I found the 600h; but I can repeat what I told my friend when he's asked (repeatedly) if I'll sell it to him:

"No fleet reduction is currently planned"

Still feels special every time I start it up.
Old 10-13-19, 02:46 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Today I was reminded how much I’ve taken my almost 15 (!) year old 430 for granted lately.

I just made it out to Arkansas on a business trip and a 2019 Honda Accord was the best car my company would pay for once I landed. Hertz initially wanted to give me a Versa but I was able to talk my way into the Accord. I was honestly pretty excited to finally drive one of these extensively since I had heard great things about the new Accords and I think they look pretty sharp personally.

Long story short just because it’s a 2019 with less than 5k miles doesn’t mean it drives remotely as nice as the 430. Loud engine, loud tires, twitchy steering... I was honestly surprised at the lack of refinement.

Last year for the same trip I drove my 430 from CT to Arkansas (no joke) and it was awesome. Figured this time I’d fly, but man do I miss the 430 already — which is strange to say for me because lately, I haven’t really paid it much attention. This trip reminded me I still have a special car in my garage back home!

Pic of the rental

Old 10-13-19, 06:46 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

It's easy to take the LS 430 for granted. I remember a couple of months after I bought it I was like "this car is fine but doesn't blow my socks off anymore." Then I went home for Christmas and just had questions. Questions as in "why does the leather in my Mom's Acura feel like sand paper?" "Why does my dad's Cadillac make so much noise at speed?" "Why is there so much up and down motion over bumps in my brother's Accord?". That's the nature of these cars; understated almost to a fault They are so serene; so well put together and sorted that individual elements disappear into a cohesive experience. You forget that not every other car is as confident and competent in so many areas.

It's only when you get into another car that you appreciate how good the LS430 is. I think of the 5 cars I own the 430 is the best all-arounder. No other car does as many things as well as this one does.

Last edited by jainla; 10-13-19 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Peacebay (10-13-19)
Old 10-13-19, 06:56 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jainla

It's only when you get into another car that you appreciate how good the LS430 is. I think of the 5 cars I own the 430 is the best all-arounder. No other car does as many things as well as this one does.
So true. I get so used to the LS's quietness, then I go on a trip my my wife's Highlander, like last weekend, and wonder why it's so damn loud!
Old 10-14-19, 03:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Natey2
My thoughts exactly. That's like comparing a Corvette to a Prius.

I like the smaller turn radius of rear wheel drive cars.
I don't drive in snow/ice though: I hear FWD have an advantage there.
Is a Golf R a fun car to drive? Yes. It even comes in cool custom colors. I think of it as a VW with a Porsche repair costs without the prestige (ask my friends).

VW is unique. It has a worthless warranty (my sis in law had a headlight go out in her first year and was told not covered--everyone was. Class action against VW and they lost). so they can extend it to as long as the owner has a pulse and the moon shines when the sun goes down, it's totally worthless when dealers won't honor it (had a friend with a GLI, clutch not covered--DMV complaint and BBB, covered). Then of course the all out cheating scandal. Just stay away from this car co. not from conjecture but from friends' and relatives' experience with VW.

Get a BMW M or AMG instead we only live once.

FWD sure has an advantage alright, they wear out the front tires 70% faster than the rears. I wanted to see what happened (really did) if a FWD didn't rotate the tires, well, on my Nissan the fronts were shot in <20k on tires that would go about 70k if rotated properly. Some things I just have to prove to myself so I did it.
Old 10-14-19, 02:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Today I was reminded how much I’ve taken my almost 15 (!) year old 430 for granted lately.

I just made it out to Arkansas on a business trip and a 2019 Honda Accord was the best car my company would pay for once I landed. Hertz initially wanted to give me a Versa but I was able to talk my way into the Accord. I was honestly pretty excited to finally drive one of these extensively since I had heard great things about the new Accords and I think they look pretty sharp personally.

Long story short just because it’s a 2019 with less than 5k miles doesn’t mean it drives remotely as nice as the 430. Loud engine, loud tires, twitchy steering... I was honestly surprised at the lack of refinement.

Last year for the same trip I drove my 430 from CT to Arkansas (no joke) and it was awesome. Figured this time I’d fly, but man do I miss the 430 already — which is strange to say for me because lately, I haven’t really paid it much attention. This trip reminded me I still have a special car in my garage back home!

Pic of the rental
That really does say something, as the Accord (especially this gen) is unanimously praised as an excellent all-around car. If I were in the market that would be on my short list.

But yes, the LS is such a titian it just shames everything else in the ride and quietness department. And luxury. I do not care that my car lacks new technology, just take one look at the inside with all the wood and high quality materials. Heck, the new LS500 has barely any wood.
Old 10-14-19, 02:58 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

After driving it for two days I will give some credit back where it is due. This car has surprisingly good highway manners. The wind noise level is very impressive for a car in this class and it’s stable and smooth even cruising at 90.

edit: also, keep in mind this is the absolute base model Accord with the NA 4 cylinder and cloth seats. I’m sure the V6 with a few more options is a great option in the mid size sedan market

Last edited by Peacebay; 10-14-19 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-14-19, 03:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This isn't good news for me since I am contemplating a 2013 S63 AMG, which one would think would break even more than a S550 version. My mind isn't made up and I haven't really dug in yet to researching. Not sure if you used the FCP Euros of the world where all the parts are guaranteed for life (sounds crazy but try them). I do know that a brake rotor would be double my 335, and my 335 already is not cheap cheap. But there are so many OE parts that are much less than Lexus. Like a brake sensor wire, OEM $13 vs. whatever it is for LS. So many Lexus parts are double BMW.
Just know what you're getting into with an AMG, not to mention an S-Class AMG.

You're looking at 5 figures for a brake job in the high end AMGs. And that's just brakes lol.
Old 10-14-19, 03:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Peacebay
After driving it for two days I will give some credit back where it is due. This car has surprisingly good highway manners. The wind noise level is very impressive for a car in this class and it’s stable and smooth even cruising at 90.

As it should....remember, it's the flagship Lexus, old or not. One of the top priorities was to make it a cruisemobile.

Quick Reply: Anyway else tired of their ls430?