LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyway else tired of their ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 04:39 AM
Dustin88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyway else tired of their ls430?

I'm came to the conclusion that the ls430 is not for me. I've been trying to like it for over a year now but I just can't get past the floaty ride, over assisted steering and highway wander. I have a base 01 with stock suspension and 16" wheels.

I love how reliable and well made the car is but I think is time for me to move on. I bought an 08 vw rabbit last month and I've only drove the Lexus a few times since then
Old 03-27-19, 05:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Very much so, until I look at the price tags of new cars. Maybe I'm a snob but we can blow right through the $70k mark without escaping the "cheapification" that took place after 2008 or so. So I'll keep driving my $6500 car until something changes in the equation.

p.s. the steering is one thing that I find acceptable. The handling not really but I'm not in a race and I do have a garage queen that handles excellently. Drive a 2012-2018 BMW 3 series, Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Rogue, Nissan Maxima, virtually any new car (I can't think of all the rentals) except Chevys, and the LS430 steering feels heavy, tight, and right. Oh yes the new LS500, RC500, LC500, RX350, all pinkie light steering lock to lock.
Old 03-27-19, 05:29 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

these cars aren't for everybody. but for me, i love it. my wife had an ES330 prior to this car. i do think the seats in the 04 ES330 were the most comfortable (between her old/my new to me LS430 & my old GS430). of course my GS seemed a little quicker off the line, but they are 2 different beasts. i was just telling my wife yesterday, seems like i keep reading posts about people getting rid of their cars (all seem to be around 200k mile & up) and here i am @ 205k miles & hoping i get another 100k out of it, lol.

now i'm coming from a 2004.5 Volvo S40 2.5 turbo as a daily. again...wayyyyy different beasts. the S40 is quicker, but the LS is waayyyyyy more comfortable. that's why i started driving it as my daily.

Last edited by ebxgsxr; 03-27-19 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-27-19, 05:54 AM
Brian05LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm never getting rid of my 05. Itbhas 151,000 on the clock. I took it in today to finish up the requested maintenance with a transmission fluid exchange as they call it!!
Old 03-27-19, 06:21 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 123 Posts

Nine years and counting,still loving it...
Old 03-27-19, 06:48 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Yup, But then I get in my cammed ls1 fbody or on my FZ1 motorcycle and the next time I get in the LS im like "ahhh yes, back to quiet climate controlled comfort aaaaannnd maybe ill take a nap at this stop light". This car has zero sense of urgency when you drive it lol, just sit back and enjoy it.

Only part that really bugs me with the LS is the clunk from the front drivers side suspension that Ive been slowly chasing.
Old 03-27-19, 06:48 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Almost 1 year still loving it.

Pluses:
Reliable
Quiet and smooth, comfy seats especially for long distance trips.
Big enough leg room for the kid in the back seat + big trunk.
Decent gas mileage with a big tank = less refill on long trips.
Relatively cheap to buy, maintain and insure.

Minuses:
GPS is old and can not be updated. Easy and cheap fix with stand alone GPS.
Kinda wished I have air suspension, but UL trunk is smaller so that won't work for our need. I know the air suspension can be expensive to fixed.
Handling could be better, but my wife who is the primary driver loves the smooth and quietness, and do not care about how the handling one bit. She is happy, I am happy.

Extra points:
It gives me a big grind when everyone think you drive this big old grandpa car, only to find out that she can move pretty fast from stop light to stop light.

Last edited by BCT; 03-27-19 at 06:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (08-05-19)
Old 03-27-19, 08:30 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 81 Posts

I've had mine a little over a year now and still absolutely love it!
Old 03-27-19, 08:38 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

The reliability of an 11 year old VW ought to be enjoyable....
The following 3 users liked this post by Romanova:
2KHarrier (08-04-19), Natey2 (10-13-19), Thomasin (10-14-19)
Old 03-27-19, 10:10 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

I've owned my 01 LS430 with currently 141,000+ miles for about 10 years now and couldn't even imagine selling it. Yes it's a barge that doesn't handle like most European cars. The steering is not as tight as an older Infiniti, but is still tight if you have the correct tires on it. If you will be buying new.....you require deep pockets as new cars are a fortune!!!!! In addition as mentioned above, many new car now have electric steering which is beyond effortless...almost like driving an old Lincoln town car. If you are buying another used car, and especially anything European, reliability will just not be there or anything close to the LS430. Good luck with your new purchase. Yes, the LS430 is not for everybody. Personally, I believe it's probably the best car Lexus ever produced.
The following users liked this post:
Thomasin (10-14-19)
Old 03-27-19, 11:34 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Steering rack bushings and some coil overs and alignment may be all you need. Id say new shocks but if you find it floaty then coil overs may be a better option.

If you are on stock high mileage suspension and steering rack bushings that could be a good reason why you don't like it. I helped my highway wander a lot with those bushings. Rear camber adjusters could help even more.

Throw $1000 into it, even though thats tough for some people and I think youd get the ride you want.

Last edited by Trilkb; 03-27-19 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 02:08 PM
kevinbonds
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need a sports car in the garage, and reliable comfortable highway cruiser best of both worlds.
Old 03-27-19, 03:04 PM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 255 Likes on 210 Posts

I must have bought the wrong car, as my LS430 handles extremely well for a 4000lb behemoth.
I hurl it round super tight twisties most days and have yet to reach the limits of grip.
Compared to my 98 Acura RL or my 01 S-Class Merc, the LS is a sports car.
The LS is the best car I've ever owned and until I can afford a brand new S63AMG it will remain the best.
Old 03-27-19, 05:53 PM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 178 Posts

I can't really say that I am tired of my '05 LS430, but having driven front wheel drive VW diesels for the last 17 years, which handle really well and have a surprising amount of power, I too wish the LS430 had more sporty handling and the feel of a European sports sedan. And it would be nice if it was more fuel efficient (again, spoiled by the fantastic fuel economy of a modern diesel)

I guess I accept the LS430 for what it is, rather than what it is not, so I'll keep it. I really like the look, comfort and quality of the car. Just the paint quality alone on this vehicle is astounding. My particular car was purchased new in AZ but if apparently was kept in a garage all its life and it looks new.
Old 03-28-19, 05:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by TominPT
I can't really say that I am tired of my '05 LS430, but having driven front wheel drive VW diesels for the last 17 years, which handle really well and have a surprising amount of power, I too wish the LS430 had more sporty handling and the feel of a European sports sedan. And it would be nice if it was more fuel efficient (again, spoiled by the fantastic fuel economy of a modern diesel)

I guess I accept the LS430 for what it is, rather than what it is not, so I'll keep it. I really like the look, comfort and quality of the car. Just the paint quality alone on this vehicle is astounding. My particular car was purchased new in AZ but if apparently was kept in a garage all its life and it looks new.
I'm never getting rid of mine, don't get me wrong, it doesn't even have much value meaning I think it's like $7200 trade in, so why would anyone get rid of the car for only $7200? The way I look at it is anything under $15k, when the actual vehicle is excellent, why not just take the money out of the bank instead, and keep the excellent car? Trading it is simply giving profit to the dealer. Private party sale is closer to fair for the seller, but it's unlikely the seller can ever get the "intrinsic" value of an excellent car, unless they cheat someone.

Long story short it costs thousands to change out a car....so why do it when the value is such that you can take the money out of the bank...

I never thought I could drive a car where the handling is poor, but I do enjoy driving the LS and choose to ignore the handling lol!

Quick Reply: Anyway else tired of their ls430?