LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

First Lexus - 2005 Ultra Lux

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 05:21 PM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertGolf
I probably over paid a little. I had been searching for a few months and couldn’t find any that I was really excited about. All of them I would have had to “settle” for - keep in mind there’s also like 1-4 available at any given time here. For example, when I purchased this, I had recently also looked at a silver on black UL at an auction lot - needed some exterior TLC, new tires just to get it off the property, air suspension done for, poor service history, and no way to have a pre purchase inspection done, it’s history also showed it bouncing around dealerships the past 6+ years without being sold. 130k miles or so and went up to $6,1k.

The only other UL was an 04 with 193k and flint mica on beige, for about $2k less than the one I bought.

I never ruled out the higher mileage ones with good service histories, but I just never could find one that had a color combo I liked, or had the options I liked (would have been happy with a CL too), or had those and wasn’t beat up or had a real sketchy history. I looked at one, champagne on beige, ML, the mirror folding did not work correctly. The previous owner’s fix? JB Weld it so it wouldn’t move. And cake that junk on there - it was very sloppy.. We also went to put gas in it and the pump would shut off after 2-3 seconds.

Theres a clean black/black one that’s been for sale for a while here, 2004+, 70k miles, asking $16k

I was comfortable paying what I did given my other options. After the sale, when eating and chatting with the previous owner, he said he got a call that morning with an offer $1,500 more than what we agreed to. So, Hell, I could maybe even flip it for a profit!
oooooh yours looks GOOD.

FYI that Black/Black is a ROACH. Hard pass on that, they've been sitting on it for almost a year now.
Old 04-09-19, 12:46 AM
iriz
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Roach

Originally Posted by kos
oooooh yours looks GOOD.

FYI that Black/Black is a ROACH. Hard pass on that, they've been sitting on it for almost a year now.
Do you have a link to that car?

And why "roach".
Old 04-09-19, 07:36 AM
kos
Advanced

Originally Posted by iriz
Do you have a link to that car?

And why "roach".
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...857230989.html

Interior looks clean, mechanically not so much. Shop that did my PPI has seen the above linked car, and said they would not recommend buying.
Old 04-09-19, 11:29 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

This one came up recently and caught my eye. It looks nearly perfect and has the harder-to-find Custom Luxury package. I just have a hard time paying nearly $16k (including tax, license, etc.) for a nearly 15yr old car.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 04-09-19, 01:31 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
This one came up recently and caught my eye. It looks nearly perfect and has the harder-to-find Custom Luxury package. I just have a hard time paying nearly $16k (including tax, license, etc.) for a nearly 15yr old car.
If you are really interested, I wouldn't let the price stop you from at least looking. The pool of buyers looking for 15 year old luxury cars is pretty small, even at low mileage. You know this and the dealer knows this, and I'm sure their trade in/auction price they paid reflects that.

As a point of reference, a couple emails with the dealer I bought mine from and they came down more than $2500, without very little haggling on my end. The final price ended up being $2500 less than their asking as an out the door price.

Trust me, they have wiggle room... lots of it.
Old 04-09-19, 05:46 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

We have the same car other than colors. I'm due for my first oil change since I bought mine. I've owned some
great cars over the years, the LS is my favorite. I love this car, I'll put a ton of miles on it, it's a great office.
Old 04-10-19, 05:11 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Super sweet! Good thing you snapped that little baby up as i was hot on your heals!! You got to it just before I did!! Congrats and enjoy! The black one some of you commented on at the AZ dealer has been there for a while and somewhere I thought I saw where it was in an accident?
Old 04-10-19, 05:59 PM
kos
Advanced

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Super sweet! Good thing you snapped that little baby up as i was hot on your heals!! You got to it just before I did!! Congrats and enjoy! The black one some of you commented on at the AZ dealer has been there for a while and somewhere I thought I saw where it was in an accident?
Yes, it has been in an accident as well, in Alaska I believe?
Old 04-10-19, 11:10 PM
DesertGolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Gorgeous car looks like new! the vibration is almost certainly warped rotors. OEM lexus rotors tend to do that. You can turn them if there is enough left if not replace. Had the same issue on both of my LS430s and now my LS460 with OEM rotors.
My guess is they’re slightly warped as well. At least that’s what I’m hoping for.

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Ha! That’s funny. Did you contact Patrick? Speak with him at all?

Yeah there was something off about that dealer one, I just remember seeing it on there for the longest time while others would come and go within a week. Didn’t run any checks on it. Funny how the rest of the forum here seems to know about it.

edit:

Washed and took the fish off the back:

Last edited by DesertGolf; 04-10-19 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 05:24 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

What's the object on the trunk lid adjacent to the bottom of the rear glass?
Old 04-11-19, 05:35 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

That's the satellite radio antenna.
Old 04-11-19, 08:12 AM
DesertGolf
Rookie

Do you guys know if the sat antenna is attached magnetically or...? I’m going to be polishing the car soon and wondering if I should/could remove it or just tape it off.
Old 04-11-19, 10:46 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Very nice LS!

I think you did good on that one.
Old 04-11-19, 11:17 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertGolf
Do you guys know if the sat antenna is attached magnetically or...? I’m going to be polishing the car soon and wondering if I should/could remove it or just tape it off.
Mine is in the same vicinity as yours except it is affixed to the bottom edge of the rear glass, so it's probably not magnetic.

If you're happy with the location of yours, it would likely be best to just tape it off.
Old 04-11-19, 01:20 PM
DesertGolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by TriC
Mine is in the same vicinity as yours except it is affixed to the bottom edge of the rear glass, so it's probably not magnetic.

If you're happy with the location of yours, it would likely be best to just tape it off.
I found the installation guide and it says it’s an adhesive so will be taping off.

Quick Reply: First Lexus - 2005 Ultra Lux