LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Driver door Keyless entry not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 10:34 AM
Tacos4u
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Driver door Keyless entry not working

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and searched everywhere for this but couldn't find an answer.

I have an 04 LS430, and when I walk to my car and put my hand on the inside of the door handle, the car unlocks. This works with all 4 door handles. However my driver door doesn't do that anymore. The 3 other doors still work, but my driver door doesn't unlock anymore. It also doesn't lock the car using the black square button on the handle anymore.

I'm trying to figure out why the driver door doesn't unlock my car anymore? I don't think its the actuator because I can still lock/unlock it with other ways, just not the keyless entry. Is it a software/programming thing or is the door handle broken...?

I appreciate any help
Old 04-12-19, 11:11 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

replace the batteries in the key fob?
Old 04-12-19, 01:31 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

If it's not the battery and all the other doors work as expected but not the driver door then it's probably the door actuator. There are threads about DIY to replace the little motors in the actuator and the motors are super cheap. However, I didn't have any luck getting the shaft back on the the motor and ended up getting a fully recondition actuator off of eBay from a guy that does them all the time and that was much easier to deal with and worth the extra money to me. That being said, the recondition actuator was like $170 vs a $10 motor but don't even try to go to Lexus for an actuator they'll break it off in you especially if you have them do the work.
Old 04-12-19, 01:53 PM
potaijee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem as you. It's likely the actuator. You mentioned that you can still unlock/lock in other ways. What are these other ways? I have to basically use the physical key to unlock and also click on the locking mechanism before I close the door.
Old 04-12-19, 05:37 PM
Tacos4u
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Key has a new battery and as mentioned above, all the other doors work fine, its just the driver door

Originally Posted by caverman
If it's not the battery and all the other doors work as expected but not the driver door then it's probably the door actuator. There are threads about DIY to replace the little motors in the actuator and the motors are super cheap. However, I didn't have any luck getting the shaft back on the the motor and ended up getting a fully recondition actuator off of eBay from a guy that does them all the time and that was much easier to deal with and worth the extra money to me. That being said, the recondition actuator was like $170 vs a $10 motor but don't even try to go to Lexus for an actuator they'll break it off in you especially if you have them do the work.
My understanding could very well be wrong, but isnt it that if the actuator was broken then the door would not be able to be locked/unlocked at all?
I can still lock and unlock door, just not from the driver keyless entry way.

I have the same problem as you. It's likely the actuator. You mentioned that you can still unlock/lock in other ways. What are these other ways? I have to basically use the physical key to unlock and also click on the locking mechanism before I close the door.
-key fob buttons
-key fob metal key thing
-lock/unlock switch on inside of door
-when shifting from park to drive and back to park
-keyless entry from OTHER doors

That's why I don't think its the actuator, because I am still able to unlock virtually every other way. It's just the keyless entry way that doesn't work. I'm going to order the outside door handle and replace it....

Last edited by Tacos4u; 04-12-19 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 08:38 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Very good chance it is the door lock actuator.

It relates to the status sensor inside the door lock actuator.
Inside your actuator you have 3 different sensors
  • Lock command sensor
  • Unlock command sensor
  • Status sensor
Your key FOB and electronic button inside your vehicle will send voltage to your actuator no matter what its current status is (locked or unlocked) it will still force the action again.
Your Touch lock however uses smart logic. When you touch the handle it senses if the actuator is locked or unlocked and only sends voltage to the actuator if needed. So if you grab onto the door handle and keep holding it while you have a conversation with a friend it will not keep trying to unlock which would shorten the lifespan of the motor in the actuator.
Without the actuator sending the "locked" status signal the vehicle will think it is unlocked and the Touch handle will not send an unlock request.
The following users liked this post:
Alukun (06-16-20)
Old 11-02-23, 10:05 PM
PNWMoonlight
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tacos4u
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and searched everywhere for this but couldn't find an answer.

I have an 04 LS430, and when I walk to my car and put my hand on the inside of the door handle, the car unlocks. This works with all 4 door handles. However my driver door doesn't do that anymore. The 3 other doors still work, but my driver door doesn't unlock anymore. It also doesn't lock the car using the black square button on the handle anymore.

I'm trying to figure out why the driver door doesn't unlock my car anymore? I don't think its the actuator because I can still lock/unlock it with other ways, just not the keyless entry. Is it a software/programming thing or is the door handle broken...?

I appreciate any help
Hi @Tacos4u , did you ever figure this out? I am having the exact issue you described.

Old 01-05-24, 01:52 PM
Jamesbradbury
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PNWMoonlight
Hi @Tacos4u , did you ever figure this out? I am having the exact issue you described.
I also have this exact issue. Did anyone work out the problem? Thanks