LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Omfg...remove headlight assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19 | 01:42 PM
Louielex
Driver School Candidate

Default Omfg...remove headlight assembly

OK I need to remove my headlight assembly it seems to me to change out my HID bulb on the driver side... Now I have tried loosening the fuse block that's right in front of it but it only moves but so far... So I figure it will be easier to remove the headlight assembly well I was wrong. I believe I have to remove the front bumper but I Don't know... Has anyone remove the headlight assembly I looked all over can't find anything on it

Last edited by RA40; 04-13-19 at 04:38 PM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 04-13-19 | 02:07 PM
bradland

It's not quite as scary as it sounds...
Take a look at this thread- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...y-removal.html
Old 04-13-19 | 02:23 PM
Romanova
Racer

Um, no. You don't have to remove the headlight assembly to change the HID bulb on on 2004-2006 cars. Just twist the gray cover, undo the clip, and the bulb comes right out, for either side.
Old 04-13-19 | 02:25 PM
Romanova
Racer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...placement.html
Old 04-13-19 | 02:28 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Are you saying you need to change the hid bulb only?If so you dont have to remove the bumper.The electrical box that has one bolt just remove the bolt and lift the box straight up,it is on hinges and allows access the the bulb cover.04-06

Last edited by jimbosr1; 04-13-19 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-13-19 | 05:28 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

as others have said, don't have to remove if you're just replacing the HID bulb. but as someone stated earlier, even if you have to remove the headlight, it's not as bad as it sounds dropping the bumper. you don't have to remove it. I just had to pull it enough to access the one bolt.

now replacing the ballast, on the other hand, is a PITA. lol.
Old 04-13-19 | 06:50 PM
Louielex
Driver School Candidate

Just have to change the bulb... but its a PITA..if the fuse block can move more then i could get to it . I even remove the 2 bolts on the headlight assembly and it was lose but would not come free... i think still drop front bumper but still need to come from behind the wheel well to get to the 2 bolts to drop the bumper
Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Are you saying you need to change the hid bulb only?If so you dont have to remove the bumper.The electrical box that has one bolt just remove the bolt and lift the box straight up,it is on hinges and allows access the the bulb cover.04-06
Old 04-13-19 | 08:53 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Maybe this will help....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...placement.html
Old 04-15-19 | 04:53 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

the triangular shaped box right next to the headlight right? if that's what you're referring to......i found once you remove the bolt & undo the clips, i pull up and twist it to the left (as you're facing it). it usually gives me enough space.

just in the past month, i replaced my bulbs 3 times. i thought it was a bulb that was out. so i bought new bulbs. then found out it was the ballast. so when i installed the ballast, i was disappointed with the color output of the replacement bulbs. ordered new bulbs, but then had to send back the 1st set. so i had to re-install my old bulbs. then install the replacement set once they arrived.
Old 04-15-19 | 05:28 AM
Louielex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks i will try that.. I am just changing the bulbs because I want a more white color. the stock bulbs are rated at 4800k The bulls I have now are read it 6000K natural daylight. I've also replaced my fog lights with lightning dark 10000 lm LED bulbs... Eventually I will replace the high beam with an LED... So I still need to remove the Headlight
Assembly
Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
the triangular shaped box right next to the headlight right? if that's what you're referring to......i found once you remove the bolt & undo the clips, i pull up and twist it to the left (as you're facing it). it usually gives me enough space.

just in the past month, i replaced my bulbs 3 times. i thought it was a bulb that was out. so i bought new bulbs. then found out it was the ballast. so when i installed the ballast, i was disappointed with the color output of the replacement bulbs. ordered new bulbs, but then had to send back the 1st set. so i had to re-install my old bulbs. then install the replacement set once they arrived.
Old 04-15-19 | 06:23 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

i ended up replacing my high beams when i had my headlight out to replace the ballast. whoever had the car prior to us getting damaged the "unseen" bolt bracket on the passenger side, so once i unbolted the 2 visible bolts, the headlight slides forward. since it was secure on my passenger side with only the 2 bolts, i left the driver's side "hidden bolt" out for ease later, lol.
Old 04-16-19 | 08:39 PM
Louielex
Driver School Candidate

Default Eureka

Ok so i removed the front bumper it is a semi PITA. to remove, you have to peel back the inner wheel well cover and inside their are 2 10mm bolts that need to be removed on both sides of the fenders... once you get them of the bumper comes off easy.. just be sure to remove all the bolts that Connect the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the engine Plastic Pan...
Now the 3rd bolt that is covered by the front bumper will be exposed once you remove that bolt and the other 2 bolts for the headlight housing the head lightvcomes out with ease you have to pull it a little bit but it will come out...
So I installed the 6000k HID bulb, and before I button her up I will replace the daytime running lights with 6000K LED bulbs I know I will lose my high being function but I'm not too worried about that. also there is 2 sets of incandescent wedge bulbs that I replaced with led's.... Prior to doing all of this I realized that 1 of my head lights auto leveling was not working so I purchased a new motor... So while I had the headlight off the vehicle I notice that the leveling motor nipple was Not seated in the place in needs to be in order to function... So not to take a chance I went ahead and replaced the motor and it was a PI TA to get it to seat properly but I got it done... So now before I button her up I have a set of 9005 LED bulbs on the way... Unfortunately I can't test nothing out due to my ECM being sent out to SIA electronics to be reprogrammed... My car started jerking when I was slowing down in 2nd and 1st gear so thanks to this forum I went ahead and sent my ECM out