LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ughh..Front wheel bearings/hubs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 01:55 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Ughh..Front wheel bearings/hubs

Well this is no fun. Have noticed an ever increasing noise from the LS front end, the kind of noise that was barely there upon my purchase.

I've since put about 10 K miles on the 05 LS Ultra, and the noise has been getting worse. Best description is a droning noise. Like a far off airplane? In fact I thought it was tire noise 10 K miles ago. As I add miles, noise getting worse. No noise in a left hand sweeper, lots of noise in a right hand sweeper. Noise and vibration cease when applying brakes. In fact just moving wheel R + L going in a straight line changes the noise. I also now have a light steering wheel vibration, in sync with the noise.

I combed the threads here and diagnosed left front hub bearing going out. Everything points to hubs. Mileage, factory 18" wheels. I just completed the LH hub with a Timken from Rock auto. The part is a Koyo according to markings, was identical to the OEM I removed.

Or I should say my local Toyota dealer removed, I gave it everything. It was very corroded. He did get it out, for 45 bucks and I was OK with that.

So far I'm thinking I got the one car where the loads are such it makes noise a different way vs. the typical failure. In combing the threads another poster mentioned the same thing, the bearing on the side he was turning was bad, that gives me hope.

The bearings feel sweetly smooth when rotating wheel by hand. But it does not make noise till 20-30 MPH so rotation speed is a factor, as is load I am sure.

Mines an ultra, no leaks from air struts, compressor runs very occasionally, seems very normal. Car's handling is superb.

My plan is to change the RH hub with same part from Rock auto as everything points to hub.

Any other thoughts or others experience would be welcome. I'm a long time wrench.
Old 04-27-19, 02:33 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm certainly no expert, but I'd say your assessment is spot on

Good luck
Old 04-27-19, 03:21 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Default Thanks

I'm a bit obsessive but just can't come up with anything else that would cause what I am hearing and feeling. Well there was a small blessing anyway, Rock had a Repl. rear wiper for the 4runner on closeout for 1.21...so got a deal there when ordering the other hub. I had hoped to hit the correct one first so I could put off doing the other hub for a bit.
I think the wiper on the 4runner is original....so that will be good. It's an oddball with an extra little piece on it for it's parked position. Usually just get new rubber at Toyota for them. Esp. for the Lexus just replacing the rubber itself is usually better than aftermarket blades.

I'll update the thread when I change out the other hub. If it was not such a critical safety part I would go cheapo on this one just to compare to the Timken / Kyoyo hub I just did. Be easy to change out 2nd time around. The first is a BEAR on a Northern clime car like mine.
The price range on these hubs is radically nuts. from like 40 on Ebay for China junk to 400 from the Lexus dealer. I chose the Timken based on recommendations here, it's actually a Kyoyo hub by the markings on it. Good thing, that's what was original too.
Old 04-27-19, 04:13 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts

I’d get Koyo as a first choice and Timken as a 2nd choice. Both are good. I replaced both passenger front and rear hubs with Koyo purchased from Autohause Az. No problems since. FYI..... the rear is a ***** to get off without the proper tools. Don’t buy cheap Chinese hubs or you’ll be sorry and will be repeating the job. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 04-27-19 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 04:57 PM
bradland

Received 682 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I’d get Koyo as a first choice and Timpken as a 2nd choice. Both are good. I replaced both passenger front and rear hubs with Koyo purchased from Autohause Az. No problems since. FYI..... the rear is a ***** to get off without the proper tools. Do buy cheap Chinese hubs or you’ll be sorry and will be repeating the job. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Timken hubs utilize KOYO bearings the hub assembly itself is a Timken product. And it sounds like, maybe Ricklin can verify, Timken hub assemblies are stamped with Koyo markings so Timken and Koyo might actually be one in the same...? They are both made in Japan. At the end of the day, assuming the hub itself is quality, it's really all about the bearing
Old 04-27-19, 08:17 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Timken and Koyo are definitely superior to, let’s say, Moog (which lasted fabulous 3k Miles in my ls430 sport suspension). Lucky us who get parts made in Japan - that’s where emperor JDM quality is
Old 04-27-19, 09:17 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the front wheel bearings can just be pressed out of the hub, no? That’s what I plan on doing if either of my fronts go out but I’ve been lucky so far.
The rears as I understand aren’t serviceable and the entire hub assembly needs to be replaced
Old 04-27-19, 09:58 PM
bradland

Received 682 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the front wheel bearings can just be pressed out of the hub, no? That’s what I plan on doing if either of my fronts go out but I’ve been lucky so far.
The rears as I understand aren’t serviceable and the entire hub assembly needs to be replaced
Entire hub must be replaced on the front and rear.

The following users liked this post:
Arcturus (04-29-19)
Old 04-27-19, 10:00 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Gotcha. Don’t know where I read that then. I’m almost at 90k with the 18” wheels so I’ll probably be crossing that bridge soon.
Old 04-28-19, 08:54 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Gotcha. Don’t know where I read that then. I’m almost at 90k with the 18” wheels so I’ll probably be crossing that bridge soon.
Getting the originals out is a task, one made worse if your car is from the rust belt like mine. I ended up taking the spindle to a machine shop, pressing it out is not an option without building a press fixture for the spindle. My local Toyota dealer got the old one out for me this time.
The factory uses a material/sealant when they put them in. I'll try from the back side with an air chisel when I do the right side. I think applying some serious heat will help too.
My best description of the noise is like an airplane at a distance, thought the noise was tires initially, until it got worse. My 05 430 UL had a touch over 100 K with factory 18" wheels on purchase. On reflection the noise has been there since my purchase. It's just getting worse now. Loud enough now that I am concerned about failure. I'll park it for the couple days it will take to receive the new one from Rock Auto. I'll update the thread when I get it replaced.
Old 04-28-19, 11:45 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I did both fronts on my 2001 about a month before I sold it. Got them via Rock Auto and IIR they were Koyo hubs. The left side needed heat and a huge pry bar, but the right side came out easy as pie.
The car had just over 200K on it, and it was the left front that started making noise.
Old 04-28-19, 01:17 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

I was just certain it was the Left, but the noise remains. It is slightly quieter tho, no question the noise is from the front. I've got
fingers crossed the rear hubs last longer. I had my wife drive while I rode and listened carefully, the noise and the slight vibration is right front. 20/20 hindsight super easy to discern which side as a passenger with the new one in the L side.

Hope to bail from work early when it gets here and get it done, being self employed helps sometimes.
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (04-29-19)
Old 04-28-19, 04:48 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricklin
I was just certain it was the Left, but the noise remains. It is slightly quieter tho, no question the noise is from the front. I've got
fingers crossed the rear hubs last longer. I had my wife drive while I rode and listened carefully, the noise and the slight vibration is right front. 20/20 hindsight super easy to discern which side as a passenger with the new one in the L side.

Hope to bail from work early when it gets here and get it done, being self employed helps sometimes.
Having it up on a lift and spinning the wheel should reveal the noise with the use of a cheap stethoscope.
Old 04-28-19, 05:53 PM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

if it's bad enough, you won't even need the steth. On mine i could hear how bad it was just by spinning the wheel.
Old 04-29-19, 10:30 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A droning noise that follows the speed of the car is almost always a wheel bearing. The noise will normally get louder when turning to the side of the defective bearing, if the bad bearing is on the front of the vehicle.

On these cars the steel hub will corrode to the aluminum knuckle in salty climates. Like others I struggled for almost a day with various tools (chisel, slide hammer, hammer, mini sledge hammer, pry bar, etc) in a vain attempt to remove it. There is a thread I wrote about it on this site. I finally took the knuckle off and asked Canadian Tire press it out. Then you just hit the bore with a wire brush until the bearing fits in.

Quick Reply: Ughh..Front wheel bearings/hubs