LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Radiator expansion/overflow tank repair options

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 07:36 AM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Radiator expansion/overflow tank repair options

Ok, so I know that the expansion tanks lose coolant over time, but I believe mine is leaking around the top (not the cap). I don't have a pic (sorry) but basically, due to heat and age, the top of the tank appears to be separating a bit. Is there an inexpensive option for replacing the entire assembly for a 2001? I'm afraid to buy another used one.

My other thought was to use some kind of epoxy or glue to seal all around the top of the tank. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone know a good product that will withstand the heat and vibration?

It seems to have lost about 1" since I last checked maybe a month ago. I noticed fresh red coolant on the tank.

Thanks
Old 05-07-19, 08:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I had thought that this tank is integral with the fan shroud? Because I broke the fin off inside due to something falling inside and needing room to extract it, and had to then fish out all the broken pieces. I had considered replacing, but opted against once it was a larger piece. I dunno if repair is recommended. Maybe just bite the bullet and replace, or, if you're not really losing much coolant (one tank per year), then leave alone...my .02
Old 05-07-19, 10:05 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

16711-50110 this is the part number you will need.
Old 05-07-19, 10:45 AM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I might have to bite the bullet and just order another one. It'll be around $175 with shipping, so not as bad as I had imagined. Maybe I'll try an epoxy just for kicks, since it's not pressurized and I have nothing to lose. Thanks for the part number...it's embarrassing but for some reason I have trouble figuring out the part numbers for this car sometimes.

My weekends are always crazy, so does anyone know how involved this will be, so I can plan? Do I need to drain the radiator and remove the hoses, etc. or can it be slipped out?
Old 05-07-19, 11:09 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

It can be slipped out.It has 6 bolts.Take the bottom panel off and the air cleaner filter box out.You can drain the rad and remove the top hose to ease removal.If you order from the forum vendor you will get 10% off.
Old 05-09-19, 09:17 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Longmire
Yeah, I might have to bite the bullet and just order another one. It'll be around $175 with shipping, so not as bad as I had imagined. Maybe I'll try an epoxy just for kicks, since it's not pressurized and I have nothing to lose. Thanks for the part number...it's embarrassing but for some reason I have trouble figuring out the part numbers for this car sometimes.

My weekends are always crazy, so does anyone know how involved this will be, so I can plan? Do I need to drain the radiator and remove the hoses, etc. or can it be slipped out?
Removing the radiator on this car is very easy. Remove a few bolts, the airbox, splash guard below, a few connectors, disconnect the coolant and transmission lines, drain the coolant and yank it out. I did a timing belt on this car and I had it out in 15-20 mins.

Last edited by Arcturus; 05-09-19 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-09-19, 09:22 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I had thought that this tank is integral with the fan shroud? Because I broke the fin off inside due to something falling inside and needing room to extract it, and had to then fish out all the broken pieces. I had considered replacing, but opted against once it was a larger piece. I dunno if repair is recommended. Maybe just bite the bullet and replace, or, if you're not really losing much coolant (one tank per year), then leave alone...my .02
It is integral and the reservoir and fan shroud come as one piece. However it looks like with a bit of gentle force that tank lid can probably be separated from the tank. That's usually where it leaks. Then he could use some silicone or toyota seal packing compound to seal it on permanently.

I used the Toyota seal packing compound to seal a small coolant leak at the rear cross-over joint from the outside without taking off the manifold. Pretty strong stuff and saved my several hours of work.