LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

18 vs 19 inch sound and comfort difference on 245/45 or 245/40

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 08:29 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Question 18 vs 19 inch sound and comfort difference on 245/45 or 245/40

For almost a year I am really in doubt with this. I thought I made my decision to go for 18 (On 245/45 R18) but every time when I see an LS on 19 I am convinced that this looks 10 times better but still comfort and most of all "silence" is the very most important to me.

I already tried to contact Dunlop for this because I am driving now on the 245/45/18 with NST (Noise Shield Technologie) and I told them about my question. Do I lose lots of comfort and do I get more roadnoise when I keep almost the same size, only an Inch bigger for example 245/40 r19?

To be exact. I was already searching google with this size comparing question way before I owned this Lexus.

I think Dunlop didnt even understand my question correctly and they only said: In our list the 19 inch are even 1 or 2 db lower so they are even more quit.

Thank you Dunlop! But I can find those figures myself on the internet after a few years of research. I want to know what I am going to lose in comfort because of, maybe WAY more stiffer sidewalls? And how about an extra drone what coudnt be measured in db? Thats why I contacted the creators of this. No answer.

Now I am even thinking. How about 245/45 R19. Not available with Dunlop but Michelin does have them with the same Foam technologie (Primacy Acoustic 775901). The difference is that Michelin’s are 69 and the Dunlop 245/40 R19 are 68db

How about you guys? Whats your opinion on this question?

I dont know If you have Dunlop in the US but It seems that its the same company as Goodyear and their Silent Foam tyres should be pretty much the same.
Old 05-08-19, 08:36 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Old 05-08-19, 09:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

yeah but stock rims are 7.5" wide
Old 05-08-19, 10:05 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

You don't really expect tire manufacturers to test tires and determine the effect on noise for every car, every model, do you? It is even more unlikely that they would test off-sizes from the car manufacturers requirement. I would guess that 99.9% of the people who buy new tires for their cars specify what came on the cars when they bought them.
Old 05-08-19, 12:17 PM
NLLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
You don't really expect tire manufacturers to test tires and determine the effect on noise for every car, every model, do you? It is even more unlikely that they would test off-sizes from the car manufacturers requirement. I would guess that 99.9% of the people who buy new tires for their cars specify what came on the cars when they bought them.

No definitely not! And thats not the question. The question is the difference between 18 and 19 inch on a mid size or big size car. The specs they give on each tyre is also not specific to a car so they should give me an answer on this to.
Again I am talking about the same width 245 and even the same hight and that could even result in a better and more smooth ride because the total hight is bigger so the rpm's goes down.

My experience with tyres are, the higher the side wall and the bigger the total hight, the better it drives. To make a total different comparing. My gs300 is sitting now on 225-65 R16 wile 55 is original but with 55 the engine is making way more rpm's on the highway. I hate that stock size.

Originally Posted by LexRex
There will be no definitive answer on this, since a change in tire size could also mean a change in wheel mass, a change in tire construction, a change in tire pressure, a change in steering geometry, a change in tread design, and/or a change in tire mass. So lots of variables that could affect noise, vibration, and harshness. Also, the very subjective nature of how sensitive you might be to any changes. It isn't just as simple as a numerical change from 18 to 19.

All that said, if I were in your shoes and wanted to upsize the wheels, I'd try to assemble the lightest, softest riding tire on the lightest wheel you can find that has a similar width and offset as stock. Buy them and install them with the understanding you may hate the combination and have to turn around and sell them. You'd be out several hundred bucks, but at least you'd know.

If you can accept that risk, you'll be fine. If not, then maybe just learn to love the 18s and find something else to obsess over. :-)

I have factory 19s on one of my other non-Lexus cars. They look like hot buttered sex, but I hate the way they ride. I don't hate them enough to swap though.

This is really interesting. What Lexus do you drive yourself with the 19 and what are the sizes and brand? And what do you exactly hate?

Smart about thinking of the weight too but I really want the Work Eurolines in the back with a very deep dish and still keep that 245.

I also putted lots of sound proofing in the car. Stage 2 of that will be coming soon and that will be the wheel arches on the outside and putting that stuff all over the place down there! (planning to make a Rolls Royce killer with that)
Old 05-08-19, 07:20 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

..... I wish there were some good-looking OEM 17s I could swap onto the LS, but I haven't discovered any yet.

I nought mine with 18s and sold them to have 17s. The ride is smoother and more comfortable, just the way I like it.

Any 19s you buy may look better .... but they won't ride as smooth and quiet.
Old 05-09-19, 12:48 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Ah, if you take another look above, I said "non-Lexus" ;-) I don't have a Lexus on 19s. It's a Porsche. I Ihink 19s have a place on a sports car. Just not sure I could tolerate them on my LS430 though. I wish there were some good-looking OEM 17s I could swap onto the LS, but I haven't discovered any yet.
Hahahah my bad. I was to much in a hurry.

I,m happy I opened this topic because I am right now more hanging to the 18's....

Originally Posted by Stu
I nought mine with 18s and sold them to have 17s. The ride is smoother and more comfortable, just the way I like it.

Any 19s you buy may look better .... but they won't ride as smooth and quiet.
I love the smoothness of the 18. I cant imagine how 17 would feel (Probably even way better!) but the look would be really ugly to me. On my GS00 I can live with 16 because its a smaller car and it fits right but not on the LS.

The LS is also for me the sunday and holidaycar and when I am arriving at some nice places in the south of France I can be proud at the level of comfort when I am driving between some Rolls Royces and Bentleys.

Last edited by NLLex; 05-09-19 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-09-19, 05:40 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My '06 430 is smooth as butter on the stock 18s. I can't see needing more comfort than I have already.
Old 05-09-19, 10:30 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

My car came with 7 year old worn out 17s, I went from there to fresh 20s and the car is so much quieter!
It's all relative I guess
Old 05-09-19, 11:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

If width is the same, I prefer less rim, more sidewall, down to 18. Oddly 17's look tiny in this day and age.

It's always been my opinion that vehicles who offer different rims such as 18, 19, 20, from the factory, if the width is the same, I go with the smallest. But when you say 225/50-17 or 245/45-18, I'm going to choose the latter in the summer. If winter, yes, the former. Why would you want a 245 19, over a 245 18? You've got 1" less sidewall, same width, and more unsprung weight. A trifecta of negatives.
Old 05-09-19, 01:21 PM
NLLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
My '06 430 is smooth as butter on the stock 18s. I can't see needing more comfort than I have already.

​​​I want to keep that comfort on 19's.....

Originally Posted by Ellesse
My car came with 7 year old worn out 17s, I went from there to fresh 20s and the car is so much quieter!
It's all relative I guess
Thats right. Old tyres makes lots of sound... how about the comfort right now?

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
If width is the same, I prefer less rim, more sidewall, down to 18. Oddly 17's look tiny in this day and age.

It's always been my opinion that vehicles who offer different rims such as 18, 19, 20, from the factory, if the width is the same, I go with the smallest. But when you say 225/50-17 or 245/45-18, I'm going to choose the latter in the summer. If winter, yes, the former. Why would you want a 245 19, over a 245 18? You've got 1" less sidewall, same width, and more unsprung weight. A trifecta of negatives.
I found 245-45-19 so the same sidewall!
I never drive in the winter because its my showcar and It must be kept in the best condition. I am going to need more info about that unsprung weight and how that effects the ride exactly.... never really thought about that before I opened this topic.
Old 05-09-19, 02:19 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Suspension is not very intuitive. Our backside tells us the suspension is all about movement of the body of the car, and that's not really how it works.
Unsprung weight is exactly what the term says. It's those parts of the car that the suspension parts do NOT support. The suspension is all about the tires and wheels. It is the weight of the suspension components that is significant.

The spring soaks up the movement, the shocks or dampers slow or dampen the motion of the springs. What is important is the weight of the components that the springs and dampers support.

This is why high end cars like the LS use Aluminum rather than steel for heavy suspension components.

Suspension is all about controlling the motion of the wheels. When we make the wheels heavier it increases the amount of work the suspension must do. One of the greatest car designers was Colin Chapman, of Lotus fame. His famous quote. Add lightness.
Old 05-09-19, 05:25 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

My 20s are 3 pounds heavier than the OEM 18s without tires. The lower profile tires vs stock cut down about a pound so I'm around 2 pounds more per corner over a stock 18, I think that's about the margin if error I could expect just from switching tire brands
Old 05-10-19, 06:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ricklin
Suspension is not very intuitive. Our backside tells us the suspension is all about movement of the body of the car, and that's not really how it works.
Unsprung weight is exactly what the term says. It's those parts of the car that the suspension parts do NOT support. The suspension is all about the tires and wheels. It is the weight of the suspension components that is significant.

The spring soaks up the movement, the shocks or dampers slow or dampen the motion of the springs. What is important is the weight of the components that the springs and dampers support.

This is why high end cars like the LS use Aluminum rather than steel for heavy suspension components.

Suspension is all about controlling the motion of the wheels. When we make the wheels heavier it increases the amount of work the suspension must do. One of the greatest car designers was Colin Chapman, of Lotus fame. His famous quote. Add lightness.
When an owner simply staggers the tires it introduces understeer, yet another negative. When a factory does it, they engineered it and the wider rears are for grip. But I do think that even mfgs are the amateur hour, you can have 18,19,20 on certain cars and the width of the tires are all the same. That is bordering on posing, why not put cool exhaust outlets too, that are pieces of plastic with no holes (Audi SQ5 and Toyota Camry SE come to mind). Because the 20" wheel option could be well over $1,000.