LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Phone holders, mounts, what have you (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19 | 12:03 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Default Phone holders, mounts, what have you

So i've been trying to figure out the best way to keep my phone out of the cup holder, which sucks at doing that job anyhow... don't want the windshield mounted suction cup as i already have a dash cam up there and don't want to obstruct the view anymore and don't want the charger wire be dangling around. so far i've tried the simple center vent mounted spreadable thingy, not impressed as it is in the way of the moving registers and the airflow and requires a 2-hands operation for putting the phone in and taking it out and most of the time the holder comes off the vent anyways. tried jamming that same holder in the tape deck's tape opening/slot, pretty much same thing as the vent - not a solid position...
i'd like to keep it in the center console area where it can be operated for quick simple tasks and have the mount not attached permanently to the car if at all possible

post pics and/or makes/brands/whatever of what you're using please
Old 05-20-19 | 01:00 PM
Bsavage
Pole Position

I clip this one on my ac vent and its magnetic they give you a metal plate to put behind your phone
Old 05-20-19 | 01:35 PM
YannG
Intermediate

I have the WizGear Universal Air vent Magnet.

IT works really well and fits snuggly in the middle air vents.

I've had it for over a year and the phone has never fallen off...

Yann.
Old 05-20-19 | 02:05 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

i want to try and stay away from the center vent clip on holders, i noticed that with the one i have the moving/swaying vents are touching it on their way, i just forked over $175 for a vent with new motors, don't really want anything hitting the phone holder and causing any stress on those tiny step motors don't want to turn off the sway motion either as like i said i just got it fixed, lol
darn it
Old 05-21-19 | 05:07 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

i had a vent holder in my old daily Volvo & when i took it out i noticed that it kind of deformed my vent slats. i'll post a picture of my set up in a second.
The following users liked this post:
RushNatU (06-29-19)
Old 05-21-19 | 05:13 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Old 05-21-19 | 06:21 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
Where/how is it mounted?
Old 05-21-19 | 07:36 AM
caverman
Instructor

I use this mount and a Pro Clip holder. The mount is bolted to the side of the stereo and the Pro Clip lets you easily slide it in and out. It's probably one of the more expensive combos though. Still, it's been the best one for me. I'll try to get a picture later and post it.

http://www.panaviseonline.com/Panavi...751-36-801.htm
Old 05-21-19 | 07:48 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caverman
I use this mount and a Pro Clip holder. The mount is bolted to the side of the stereo and the Pro Clip lets you easily slide it in and out. It's probably one of the more expensive combos though. Still, it's been the best one for me. I'll try to get a picture later and post it.

http://www.panaviseonline.com/Panavi...751-36-801.htm
Thats more in line with my thinking 😎
Old 05-21-19 | 08:52 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

BEWARE! All these links are for Amazon UK. You'll need to find equivalents for where you are or the shipping will be stupid.

I use this
Double ended Magnetic holder Double ended Magnetic holder
mounted to the cubby just above the heated/cooled seat controls.
Makes it easy to reach with my left hand (UK, so I drive from the right side of the car) and is a pretty solid mount with no vibes or jitters.

For power I bought a
USB Converter USB Converter
and hard-wired it to the back of the cigar lighter socket that is in the armrest.
The whole lot sits under the gearshift surround and the USB-C cable comes out between the heated/cooled seat control panel and the gearshift surround.
I also have a longer cable that powers my TomTom GPS which sits on top of the dash in the right corner.
Using this leaves the ashtray cigar lighter free for charging my better half's phone/tablet and the cigar lighter in the armrest has my
FM-Bluetooth FM-Bluetooth
unit.

I'll try and take a few pics and post them.

Last edited by BigBoomer; 05-21-19 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-21-19 | 11:48 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

If you choose a magnetic mount, the plate you put on your phone may be in the way of the signal from your quick charger pad, if you use one.

I open the ashtray and lay my phone flat on top of the ashtray opening. I don't look at the phone, and any Maps directions are by voice.

And, it's FREE...
Old 05-21-19 | 11:57 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Daspyda
If you choose a magnetic mount, the plate you put on your phone may be in the way of the signal from your quick charger pad, if you use one.
yeah, that's the dilemma that i'm facing - i use my phone for work through the day and it sits in front of me on a charge stand, and when i got the charge stand i had to ditch the magnetic holders because of that interference with the charger
but my metal plate i used before was pretty big, not sure if a smaller plate would work? it's a Galaxy S8+
Old 05-21-19 | 12:32 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I adhesed a piece of rubberized non slip material (like you use in the bottom of tool drawers) on the back of the CD door and fold it down and just lay my phone horizontal there. USB power cord from ashtry helps lash it a bit. Pretty secure, have only had it come off once.
Old 05-21-19 | 02:56 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I adhesed a piece of rubberized non slip material (like you use in the bottom of tool drawers) on the back of the CD door and fold it down and just lay my phone horizontal there. USB power cord from ashtry helps lash it a bit. Pretty secure, have only had it come off once.

Mine sits there too in landscape mode when I use it for navigation.
They also sell mounts that slot into the cassette deck since nobody uses that to actually play tapes any more,

Last edited by Ellesse; 05-21-19 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-22-19 | 11:56 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ellesse
They also sell mounts that slot into the cassette deck since nobody uses that to actually play tapes any more,
I see plenty for the CD slot, but not tape deck - source?

Quick Reply: Phone holders, mounts, what have you (merged threads)