LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Confused about radar cruise

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 08:15 AM
5speedLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about radar cruise

2005 LS430. Don't know what options as I bought it used.

My cruise control doesn't work and I can't figure out how to put it in normal mode (if thats even valid, you'll see why). I'm not sure if my car has radar cruise or not because I don't see either the radar unit behind the grill emblem or a laser unit in the lower right bumper area. The cruise control stalk also does not have the "mode" text and I can't push it toward the dash. The weird thing is that the dash says radar ready and even displays distance settings when I press DISP 2.

When I try to turn on cruise it will act normal until I get up to 25mph and then it displays the red triangle and says "Check Cruise System" and I can't get it to maintain speed.

So whats going on here, can I disable the radar and get it to work in normal mode, or does it only have normal mode and that is broken? What might be wrong if its the normal mode? I just bought the car at 125k miles. Could someone have messed with some setting in the ecu or swapped dashes or ecus. This doesn't make any sense. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-19, 08:38 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Do you have a big plastic shield behind the L in your grill? If you don't have that, then you don't have radar cruise (or PCS) - or could be as you say, car was in an accident and somebody swapped in a non-radar grill

There IS a way in the manual to fully disable the radar cruise and have cruise control work just like a normal cars without the vehicle sensing. I've never done it in mine, but do recall reading it years ago

EDIT - here's a link that shows you how post 21. There is also some discussion about how vehicles with laser cruise also label things radar which makes things confusing (I've never had one of those so can't comment)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...e-control.html

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-21-19 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-21-19, 06:28 PM
5speedLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely nothing behind the L. Doesn't look like anywhere to attach one either.

I found that in my owners manual as well, but my stalk doesn't even let me push it back and it's doesn't say mode on it. Pictures of my car for reference. Would it normally say radar ready if I apparently don't have radar? Even if the car was in an accident and the grill replaced, it wouldn't explain the stalk.

Old 05-21-19, 07:24 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Just read your owners manual and follow directions.
Old 05-23-19, 04:15 AM
Jamblaell
8th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

On the Lexus Service History site, what does your VIN say that your car was equipped with from the factory? I've never seen the Radar Ready indicator on my non-CL/UL.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/history
Old 05-25-19, 09:20 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Your steering wheel is identical to my 05 with radar, as is your dash display. Open your hood and look for the radar transceiver which would be directly behind the L logo on the grill. If you post a pic I can tell you.
I assume the large clear square shield on the grill is to protect the front surface of the radar transceiver. Is the radar transceiver there?
I suspect your car may have had front end damage and they learned how expensive those components are to replace. If the radar unit is there I think you could take the grill off the car and take a short drive and see if it works. I'd be looking for the parts to fix it, it's my favorite LS feature. There is a hack repair for the clear square plastic, it's really pricey. There are instructions in your owners manual to switch to regular cruise control. I would be looking to fix it. Radar cruise is the best feature ever if you drive a lot of freeway it's flat awesome. Radar cruise was a must when I purchased my LS, it was a long search.

Last edited by Ricklin; 05-25-19 at 09:27 AM.