LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How about this 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 07:10 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts
Default How about this 2005?

I'm still hunting for a nice 2004-2006 LS430 for my son (I drive a 2010 LS600hL). I had found what seemed like a great 2004 UL here locally, but it turned out to need too much work to be worth it.

I've now located another good prospect, and I wanted to get some feedback from the forum on this one. Here's the link: https://www.grahamvw.com/used/LEXUS/...6a9394e4a9.htm

It's a 2005 with 78k miles, 2 owners. Clean CarFax (for what that's worth). Was traded in to an Audi dealership in Sioux Falls SD (3 hour drive from where I'm at).

It is a bit more basic of a car than the UL I had originally targeted, but I think that's mostly a good thing. No air ride suspension to worry about! It doesn't have the touch-screen either, which I thought would bother me. But after seeing the antiquated touch-screen system in the 2004, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I checked the Lexus history, which was pretty good initially but totally stopped many years ago (when it got sold to the second owner, it seems). The owner must have used an independent shop for maintenance, which makes sense. I don't see any signs that the timing belt has been changed, and it's likely it hasn't since the miles are still fairly low (but it's 14 years old, so probably due).

Asking price is $10,450. Not sure on the color - looks sort of dark brown/green. Anyone know what that color is called? Does it look good in person?

Anyway, I'm just seeking thoughts from the forum on this one. I'd have it checked out mechanically before making the trip, but it does seem like a pretty decent example, and the price might be a bit flexible due to the timing belt issue. Thanks!
Old 06-04-19, 08:58 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

From the pictures, I think the car looks good. Interior seems clean. I kinda like the color because not many cars has that color, but that is personal preference. It has 18 in wheel so that is a plus. I think the price should be cheaper if TB is not done, and even cheaper if need new set of tires.

RE: GPS system - it is old but I like it because of the back-up camera. Of course you can install after market camera if needed, so I think you are not missing much here.
Old 06-04-19, 08:59 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 255 Likes on 166 Posts

Definitely looks clean. Almost no wear on seats and armrest, headlights look clear.
Also not having a touchscreen is a plus, believe me. Because you can always add an Apple carplay unit to the car and completely modernize it, and on top of that this car has the regular Pioneer (not ML) system that doesn’t have all the issues the ML systems have. Other than that it has everything important — heated/cooled seats, rear sunshade, etc. and (most importantly) the smart key.

I’m forgetting the name of the color but it looks nice in person and you don’t see them all too often.
Old 06-04-19, 09:26 AM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 181 Posts

IMHO, there is only so much that photographs can tell you about a car, especially this one. The functioning and condition of all the key systems such as brakes, tilt/telescoping wheel, power windows, stereo system, suspension, cooling system/radiator, and fluids, just have to be inspected. And the car driven. I have lost count of the number of times I thought a car I was going to purchase based on photos turned out to be a dog when I started crawling around and looking with my eyeballs directly. Your plan on having someone (disinterested) doing an inspection is a good one! Make sure they actually drive the car before you commit to going in person.
The following users liked this post:
LexRex (06-04-19)
Old 06-04-19, 09:28 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

To me, the interior looks dirty to me. The cluster bezel looks dusty, the shifter chrome piece looks hazy, and the dash padding by the clock looks a bit warped. I'm sure it just needs a solid cleaning. The actual color is Briarwood Pearl which is one of the lesser-common colors.

Check the function of everything including the common failure points and make sure there isn't a bunch of rust underneath the car. If everything checks out and it's in decent condition, I'd say about $8,500 out the door knowing that it needs a 90k service. It's hard to give a real precise estimate without more pictures or higher resolution pictures so we can pick out any flaws...
Old 06-04-19, 11:14 AM
nedear1688
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the exact same color combo and it's 2005 too, I picked up mine at local Lexus dealer, it has 2 previous owners with 86k miles and I am the 3rd. I paid $18k + tax and license back in 2016. I am still driving it as weekend leisure car, to date I still doing upgrade on aging parts, recently the front struts at 120k miles and it drive like a dream.

This weekend with do all stabilizer bar end links then will do a complete 4 wheels alignment.
Old 06-04-19, 11:27 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I dont see Nav in this car.

Odd that its like a base model with 18's. Wonder if thats how it was ordered. Clean car for sure.
Old 06-04-19, 12:08 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
I'm still hunting for a nice 2004-2006 LS430 for my son (I drive a 2010 LS600hL). I had found what seemed like a great 2004 UL here locally, but it turned out to need too much work to be worth it.

I've now located another good prospect, and I wanted to get some feedback from the forum on this one. Here's the link: https://www.grahamvw.com/used/LEXUS/...6a9394e4a9.htm

It's a 2005 with 78k miles, 2 owners. Clean CarFax (for what that's worth). Was traded in to an Audi dealership in Sioux Falls SD (3 hour drive from where I'm at).

It is a bit more basic of a car than the UL I had originally targeted, but I think that's mostly a good thing. No air ride suspension to worry about! It doesn't have the touch-screen either, which I thought would bother me. But after seeing the antiquated touch-screen system in the 2004, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I checked the Lexus history, which was pretty good initially but totally stopped many years ago (when it got sold to the second owner, it seems). The owner must have used an independent shop for maintenance, which makes sense. I don't see any signs that the timing belt has been changed, and it's likely it hasn't since the miles are still fairly low (but it's 14 years old, so probably due).

Asking price is $10,450. Not sure on the color - looks sort of dark brown/green. Anyone know what that color is called? Does it look good in person?

Anyway, I'm just seeking thoughts from the forum on this one. I'd have it checked out mechanically before making the trip, but it does seem like a pretty decent example, and the price might be a bit flexible due to the timing belt issue. Thanks!
Recent Manheim auctions report Lexus LS 430 sales at $3500 to $6000 (less fees to seller, plus fees to buyer). This is reality. While you may have pay more when buying at retail, and be quite willing to do so for an exceptional car, auction results present an accurate indication of the current wholesale market value of a Lexus LS 430 for one to base a decision as to what to pay retail for a Lexus LS 430.

Old 06-04-19, 07:59 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

That car is almost identical to mine, down to mileage- mine came with 17" wheels so I'll echo the previous comment that those might have been an upgrade somewhere along the way.

The color is briarwood pearl, and when the car is clean and the sun hits it, it's beautiful, lots of flake in the paint.

I think the price is reflective of location, not a huge supply of these cars in that area I'm guessing. I paid a little bit less than this ad, but from a private party and timing belt was also not done
Old 06-05-19, 04:18 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Rick and Morty box set on sale today

Last edited by JffGRY706; 03-01-21 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 07:25 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

asking price is too high, needs to come down at least $1000, via kbb. range is 8054-10259 private party for that year, mileage, and I gave it excellent condition despite the seats looking a bit dingy, they SHOULD be super white...every lexus (including ls430's) I've seen with white interior were VERY white. Now granted it's a stealership and I've found they usually add 1500-2000 to blue book, don't know why they get away with it, you KNOW they bought that car for probably 2k under blue book at most.

course you'll need to change t-belt and it's components no later than 90k, it's technically due now. Transmission fluid and filter should be good until 90-100k. always immediately change the oil in any used car. brake fluid will probably need changing.

ANY used car with over 30k should have almost ALL the fluids and filters changed asap (tranny fluid is the exception)
Old 06-05-19, 01:22 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Briarwood Pearl is one of the most beautiful colors. get them down on the price though, do the PPI as with any used vehicle that's not CPO'd.
Old 06-05-19, 01:47 PM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

this is Briarwood Pearl in the sun. 2004 Ultra Luxury. This is a very nice paint/interior combo. AND has the proper chrome rims to go with the color scheme.

Old 06-26-19, 05:04 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar

Hello. May I inquire at what price at the vehicle sold? (I see it no longer listed at the linked dealer. If you bought it, I hope you made a deal at a price you were happy to pay.)
Old 06-26-19, 07:40 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

I ended up not buying it, though I do think it was offered at a great overall price. My son decided to stick with his Elantra for another year or so, and I really don't need another Lexus (I already own two). The dealer had offered to sell it to me for $9k, which I think was a decent price for it (though not spectacular). It had a few issues (wheel cosmetic defects, cracked rear tail light, no timing belt change), but was overall a pretty nice car, I think.
The following users liked this post:
430SLOwner (06-26-19)

Quick Reply: How about this 2005?