LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

low volume in nav system but other volumes okay

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-19, 12:31 PM
KarenAnne
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default low volume in nav system but other volumes okay

I had my 2003 LS430 into the dealer today. A bunch of stuff needed work and the non-dealer Lexus mechanic was way booked up.

A problem is the volume in the replacement navigation system, a "GEN 4 DVD navigation player" that replaced the one that came with the car, is suddenly very low. I can find out more about the nav system as I know the previous owner if that helps. The volume setting is okay.

The service department says the amplifier has to be replaced to the tune of over $3000, which is not happening. The radio volume and parking assist volumes are normal, but the service dept says those will eventually fail also as the amplifier degrades.

Does this sound correct? I am puzzled as to why sound would be okay on some things but not others.

I can buy a stand alone navigation system cheaply, but I would not like to also lose the radio and parking assist, etc. Still, over $3000, that is not happening :-)

Thanks.
Old 06-21-19, 07:41 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Hit the Menu key on the group of buttons to the right of the display then press the volume button. This will bring up a series of buttons that you can hit to turn up the navigation voice. It's simply marked volume so after you press one of the buttons, the voice will respond with a statement at that particular volume level. Choose a level you like. Yours is probably set to one right now...
Old 06-22-19, 02:37 AM
KarenAnne
Driver

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Hit the Menu key on the group of buttons to the right of the display then press the volume button. This will bring up a series of buttons that you can hit to turn up the navigation voice. It's simply marked volume so after you press one of the buttons, the voice will respond with a statement at that particular volume level. Choose a level you like. Yours is probably set to one right now...
Thanks, but I had already done that, It was set in the middle of the volume range. I set it to the highest and it made no difference.
Old 06-22-19, 04:25 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts

Do a reboot, disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
Old 06-22-19, 05:12 AM
KarenAnne
Driver

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Do a reboot, disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
I'm a battery/reboot ignoramus. I just disconnect both connectors from the battery terminals (does the order matter?), wait say five minutes, and reconnect them in some order? Thanks.

I see another place that suggested this said once disconnected to hold the connectors together for a couple of minutes - is that right? With the battery out of the picture, I assume that is safe? What would it accomplish?

Last edited by KarenAnne; 06-22-19 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 07:11 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts

Just disconnect the negative side and wait 5 minutes then reconnect.Do not do anything else.
Old 06-22-19, 10:46 AM
KarenAnne
Driver

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Just disconnect the negative side and wait 5 minutes then reconnect.Do not do anything else.
Alas, no joy.
Old 06-22-19, 10:57 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Did it do this immediately after they put the new nav system in the car? Or did the sound work fine for a short while before it went low?

You might one of the few drivers that actually uses the nav directions. I like having the map in front of me while driving but if I need directions to someplace I pull out the smartphone and use that instead. Much faster.

Good luck...
Old 06-22-19, 11:42 AM
KarenAnne
Driver

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Did it do this immediately after they put the new nav system in the car? Or did the sound work fine for a short while before it went low?

You might one of the few drivers that actually uses the nav directions. I like having the map in front of me while driving but if I need directions to someplace I pull out the smartphone and use that instead. Much faster.

Good luck...
The nav system has been in the car for years, working well. It is not the original system, which failed years ago. My brother was the original owner of the car and described the system to me as 'GEN 4 DVD navigation player with the latest 2015 data disk. The old navigation GEN 3 player failed." He is up to his gills moving into a new house, so he is not a current source of more information.

Anyway, I have been using the nav system a lot for months and it has worked well. Then two days ago I invoked it when I had been running an errand and was headed home. The volume was very low. When I got home, I called my brother and said, the volume setting is okay but I can hardly hear it, what did I screw up? And while we were talking, the nav screen went black, the car wouldn't start etc,, so we figured the battery was dead.

AAA came out and replaced the battery, and everything else seems to be working, except two things on the nav system: the volume is almost inaudible and it lost its geographical preference area (I reset the later successfully, but nothing helps the volume.)

No way am I paying hundreds of dollars for a smart phone for which I have no need, plus there is the formerly working nav system sitting right there,