LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyone done complete suspension overhaul?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 09:03 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone done complete suspension overhaul?

04 LS has 207k on it, and it's time to update some suspension parts. I've had the car since 83k, and have not replaced struts, strut mounts, LCA bushings, ball joints, etc. since ownership. Based on service records received when I purchased the car, none of it had been done prior, either. Car has been squeaking, creaking, and thud'ing over bumps for a while now, and I figure it is time to start replacing suspension elements.

I'm starting out with struts, strut mounts, and LCA bushings. I had considered replacing the entire LCA since Rock Auto sells the arm and bushing for $94 each side. Not much of a difference buying the entire setup for under $200 vs. just the bushings (in brackets) for $100. For now, I decided on just the bushings. Struts and strut mounts just need to be replaced at this point.

If the sounds and feels do not go away with the above listed repairs I plan to do, I may as well move forward with replacing other parts such as ball joints, stabilizer bar bushings, tie rod ends, UCA bushings, and anything else that I can replace myself.

Anyone ever gone through and replaced everything up front at once?
Old 06-24-19, 09:20 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

I plan to get these. https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehic...P3491K-IN-BRKT

hello from Charleston by the way
Old 06-24-19, 10:23 AM
deadguy
Driver

Originally Posted by weldthedif
I plan to get these. https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehic...P3491K-IN-BRKT

hello from Charleston by the way
Thank you, from Aiken!

I had seen those posted in the big LCA bushing thread. I ended up going with the OEM set off of Ebay that fits the IS.
Old 06-24-19, 10:58 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Don't use Quick Struts. Get OEM or KYB struts and mounts and reuse your factory springs.
Old 06-24-19, 11:35 AM
deadguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Romanova
Don't use Quick Struts. Get OEM or KYB struts and mounts and reuse your factory springs.
KYB is the brand struts and mounts I ordered from Rock Auto.
Old 06-24-19, 01:12 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Does anyone ever go TO air suspension? I plan to keep mine (95K miles) for a while so it may be worth it in the long run to preserve ride while going lower.
Old 06-24-19, 03:40 PM
deadguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Does anyone ever go TO air suspension? I plan to keep mine (95K miles) for a while so it may be worth it in the long run to preserve ride while going lower.
Like you, I plan to keep my LS a while, even with the high mileage. 300k was my goal when I purchased it 8 years ago, but if I hit 300k, 350k-400k will be the new goal. May as well enjoy the ride while I have it.
Old 06-24-19, 04:49 PM
Pot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to overhaul the whole suspension with everything that you mentioned on your first paragraph. 185k miles probably. Everything OEM.
Old 06-24-19, 05:25 PM
deadguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Pot
I had to overhaul the whole suspension with everything that you mentioned on your first paragraph. 185k miles probably. Everything OEM.
I'm guessing the ride improved?
Old 06-25-19, 07:05 AM
deadguy
Driver

I've decided to go ahead and replace the ball joints, stabilizer bar bushings, and tie rod ends as well. I'll check the inner tie rods while down there and replace them another time if necessary. Sway bar link will also be checked. Looks like I will have a busy day Saturday and/or Sunday.
Old 06-25-19, 08:51 AM
heartygrn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Very interested in hearing this how this improves your ride. I'm at 190K and for suspension I've only replaced the oil filled LCA bushings so far (one leaked). I used Lexus bushings and had a shop press them in. I don't have any creakings or anything but it does dive pretty good when I hit the brakes hard. Planning to do the struts and mounts fairly soon. I would like it to feel a little more sure footed on back roads.
The following users liked this post:
deadguy (06-25-19)
Old 06-25-19, 01:28 PM
Aus430
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Awesome. I am planning to do that too soon so look forward to hearing how it turns out!
deadguy (06-25-19)
Old 06-25-19, 04:44 PM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Looking at doing AirLift myself with Height-Based management when the time comes.
Old 06-25-19, 07:02 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

When I take delivery of my 2001 LS430 with 197k miles on the clock, I too plan on updating/upgrading the full suspension. I want to replace all of the parts and retain the stock ride quality but would like to also lower the ride height by about an inch at most. Just enough to fill in that wheel gap. I also want to upgrade the sway bars just to keep the chassis a little flatter through the curves.

Without "high jacking" this thread, is there a list somewhere here on the forum that gives a complete list of components to replace and/or upgrade including brands and where to purchase?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 06-25-19, 07:48 PM
Hipatchy
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced the upper control arms, struts and strut mounts recently.
When I got the car it was a disaster over bumps in the front end.
Worth every penny to upgrade these parts it rides so much better.
I used OEM springs and mounts and beck/arnley uppers, so far so good.
All very easy to complete. I would not recommend Monroe shocks.
Looking at potentially putting in IS LCA bushings since mine are looking cracked.
deadguy (06-27-19)

Quick Reply: Anyone done complete suspension overhaul?